Rolling Stones 1999 Virgin LP Replica CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

All I know is I bought the Sticky Fingers version with the real zipper and the outer plastic slipcase and I hated that thing---it didn't fit into standard cd racks or cases, the zipper scratched the plastic, it was a PITA to use. I still own it too. No wonder I rarely play that album.

2. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

My SF and Some Girls have the stickers my Exile does not but I can tell the sleeve around it is not the original because it is a bigger size than the other ones. I conclude these are official US releases and if there were more in this series, I don't know.

3. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Still a mystery to me. Just no hard info anywhere as official releases. I still won't say they aren't, just no info I've seen, weird. Collectors Edition with hard slipcase, yes. Additional releases in jewel case with yellow disc, yes. Later silver/ aluminum disc, Virgin release in jewel case, yes. This resealable package edition, I've seen no info.

"English Masters" does sound odd. ?????

I don't have it. I'd like that one.

4. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow...that is indeed very interesting! Can you please take a look on the back and see if there is any fine print indicating if it is a U.K. release or whatever...there's got to be some writing, just like my copy said "Printed in the USA", "Manufactured by Virgin America, Inc."....

Both stickers (mine and yours) look "official", but yeah, that is a strange thing to proclaim..."From The English Masters"? I'm starting to wonder just how 'official' these resealable releases really are?

5. Futurecity

You know, I'm starting to wonder just how "official" these resealable releases really are? I mean, the contents look like the real mini LP replica's (that came in the original "Collector's Editions" with the hard, plastic slipcase), but the resealable sleeves and round stickers do look a little suspicious actually, and also, virtually no info on the internet for these...could that alone be a major 'red flag'?

To be honest, the round stickers look kind of real, but they don't look like Virgin stickers? The fact that we can't research any of them on the web is very unfortunate, as I would like to know what I have here - who released it and when?

6. Futurecity

Ragu, please check out my other reply above somewhere. I wanted to know if the catalog number on your STICKY FINGERS resealable sleeve edition matches mine? Please let me know your cat. #...it is printed on the disc itself and on the barcode on the back of the mini LP jacket.

7. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Yep, same catalog number as yours on back of jacket and on the disc.

8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Let's muddy the waters even more... I remember buying a similar copy of Bob Seger's Live Bullet at the same time I got this copy of Exile. It was the same format - mini-LP, resealable bag, and the "digitally remastered from the English masters" sticker. Why would a Bob Seger release trumpet "English Masters" on the sticker? The only reference I could find on the internet is this from a Seger site:

[​IMG]
    I looked a little more closely at the Exile package, and inside on the left side of the "gatefold," it has "Printed in the USA," "Manufactured by Virgin America, Inc." and " mastered by Bob Ludwig" in very tiny print, just like the 1994 plastic slipcase version. Also, the mini-LP package for the mystery version is about 1/2" larger than the slipcase version. So, it isn't just the 1994 package stuck in a resealable bag.

9. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

I'm not 100% clear on all of these 90's Virgin releases but I have an Exile that I purchased at a Chicagoland Best Buy in '99 or '00. It sounds like it is the same as the one mentioned above by keef00. It is a gatefold, came with an inner sleeve for the CD, a replica of another sleeve for the original double LP and replica postcards that are connected via perforated rip-apart seams. As mentioned above the package is about 1/2" larger than a regular CD release. If it came in a resealable plastic outer sleeve I must have discarded that years ago. The construction of the gatefold is somewhat unique with respect to other CD packaging like this that I have seen because the pouch on the side where all the inner sleeves slide in has a "bellows" type construction. It has a yellow disc and there is no writing with dates on the outside of the package but there is the info printed on the inside of the gatefold as reported by keef00.

Wally Swift likes this.
  10. Futurecity

Wow, I don't know if this is good news or not? Well, according to you, your copy is also a made in the USA release, but it says "From the English Masters" on the front??

I always thought that the round stickers on the resealable sleeve editions looked like it might not be an official Virgin product, but the contents inside looked real enough (the artwork package and disc). Do you have both EXILE mini LP replica packages (hard plastic slipcase and resealable sleeve)? You measured the resealable version next to what exactly? And it's a full 1/2 inch larger overall?

Does everyone who own the resealable sleeve versions feel that the contents are completely legit and totally authentic? It wouldn't make sense for someone to try and bootleg these back in the 90s? But, there are no websites mentioning these so-called Oct 5, 1999 releases, so what the heck are they? Who, what where?

11. Futurecity

I'm stumped at this point! Actually, the resealable sleeve and round stickers don't look like official Virgin packaging to me, even though the mini LP replica's and discs look to be real? But, as the other person mention...now these mini LPs are larger than the Virgin ones....oh no? Since there is NO release date information on the web, who knows what these are? Could they be from other countries perhaps?

12. Futurecity

OK, thanks for that! I guess we have the exact same item. Actually, you are the first person I found who has the same cat.# as me.

13. dbeamer407

14. Futurecity

Thanks. Those are the first scans I've seen elsewhere that show my exact yellow disc for STICKY FINGERS(with the extended wording at the bottom of the disc, and nothing else next to the compact disc logo).

However, here is the full amazon link. Most sellers are selling it pretty cheap actually, but I don't see the round stickers though on the front. Could this indicate they don't think it is a real release or something suspect? Also, scroll down...yet another claim that the release date is Oct. 5, 1999...

http://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Fingers-Limited-Edition-Rolling/dp/B00001R3GC/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

15. Futurecity

Scratch that...actually, except for one guy selling his new copy for $8, all of the other sellers are asking for huge amounts, so apparently, this item still has a big collector's value.

Question - since the size of the one in the resealable sleeve seems to be larger, could Virgin have made these mini LP replica CDs again...larger? You see, something is not adding up here, plus we still don't know who manufactured the resealable sleeves and round stickers?

16. dbeamer407

I'm pretty sure the resealable sleeve was part of the original packaging, at least one of the sellers mentions the resealable sleeve. Stuff like that I always threw away, someone above mentioned how it is easy for them to tear. It wasn't too much more than cellophane wrap but being the limited edition they most of tried to make it a little more "special".

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I may have found the answer:

http://www.beatzenith.com/the_rolling_stones/rscds.htm

Does not explain the Exile - perhaps that was reissued in 2000, as well.

It looks like the edition you have is the 2000 reissue.

18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Good point re: the collector, English masters sticker on both Stones and Seger.

The larger cardboard sleeve that you and another poster have confirmed the ongoing mystery for this title, even as Trevor has found the info regarding 2 titles in resealable packs from 2000.

I think this is as close to solving this up to this point. I may haven't read all the info on the site that you linked to, but I don't know if it makes mention of this release that I have attached here. It's been mentioned here already, but I remember it being in this form for only a short while. Standard jewel case, complete booklet that even had two pages with pictures of the postcard set, and yellow disc. Shortly after, the substantial book insert went away and the disc was silver/aluminum....

Attached Files:

19. dbeamer407

There is not a big mystery here. In 1994 Virgin released CD's that had replica's of the original artwork. These were in a hard slipcase and were basically the size of a standard jewel case (which are not square 5 5/8" X 4 7/8").

Five years later they released another limited edition which was a slightly more accurate reproduction of the original artwork in that it was square (5 3/8" X 5 3/8"). The 1999 issues did not come in a hard slipcase instead they were packaged in flimsy cellophane sleeves that were resealable. I have no idea about mastering differences or anything like that.

A couple years later (2005) they were released again with a cardboard slip cover that was called the USA collection.

20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

It looks like the 1999/2000 reissues were albums that were "different" or had stuff inside them : die-cut sleeve <SG>, postcards inside <EOMS> or zipper <SF>.

21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Yeah, forgot about the USA collection, I have most of those.

Well, it shouldn't be a big mystery, but you're the first one that seems to know from experience, something definitive. I still don't remember them, and any info is sparse. There is nothing about these on minilps.net, and they have info on about everything but these. The link to a website with info that Trevor provided above, tells of two titles only, SF and SG that were released this way. So, it's all a bit confusing, if not a mystery. They must have been short lived and are pretty scarce, because the few that have popped up on eBay that Futurecity and others have posted here, are going for relative big bucks.

Thanks for the info.

22. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

My 94's in the slipcase have the postcards from Exile and the zipper on SF.

What made the artwork reproduction more accurate? The sizing, so more art fit on there? Probably not contents, right?

The mastering would be the same for sure.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Mine are, too. I'm just saying it was those 3 covers they decided to reissue again in 1999/2000 since they were "unique". Between the 94's and 99's, I'd take the 94's any day.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. dbeamer407

Yes it would be the aspect of the artwork that is more accurate since it was originally square and in the '99 reproductions the artwork is also square so nothing is squished. Still it's pretty small compared to the original 12" format!

25. Futurecity

May I ask why you would automatically take the '94 "Collector's Edition" over the '99 "Collector's Editions"? Is it because you like the '94 packaging better (hard plastic slipcase, obi, etc), as opposed to the resealable sleeve?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.