Rolling Stones 1999 Virgin LP Replica CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. That site is still pretty vague though, as it doesn't specifically mention the "resealable sleeves" and every seller is listing the release date as Oct. 5, 1999, not 2000, but I guess it's all close enough. Yes, I have seen only 3 resealable sleeve versions....SF, SGs and EXILE.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yep. Plus I have about 5 or 6 of the 94's, and they go together nicely.

motorcitydave likes this.
  3. Futurecity

Thanks for the information! Now it's starting to all make sense, but, there are still some unanswered questions. First, good catch, yes my SF resealable mini LP is exactly 5 3/8" X 5 3/8")...and I didn't realize that the original '94 versions are smaller! So, it seems that Virgin did reissue these 3 titles and enlarged them as well.

However, who manufactured the resealable sleeves and the round stickers on the front of them? Are these official Virgin sleeves and stickers...the jury is still out? They might very well be, but the stickers look kind of cheap to me. Also, why do some stickers say "Digitally Remastered Original Album Packaging" and some even say "Digitally Remastered From The English Masters"...could these be official Virgin U.K. editions?

As Clanceman pointed out, information on these '99 editions is indeed very scarce and almost impossible to come by on the internet. I mean, all of the ebay and amazon sellers for the resealable sleeve editions are listing the release date as Oct.5, 1999, so where is that info on the web? It must be somewhere? I doubt that each seller simply remembered the 10/5/99 date from memory? Unfortunately, the packaging or disc doesn't mention the actual release date. The point is, there is virtually no information about these larger mini LP replica CDs....no solid, definitive info posted on the web.

I suspect that many people out there who own the original '94 "Collector's Edition" mini LP/CDs probably think they're bootleg's or something, because the sleeves and stickers look very different from the earlier Virgin stickers, and....the sellers aren't even mentioning that these are larger, or more accurate LP replica's! If they did...they might sell more of them.

But, thanks again for pointing out that these are actually even more authentic mini LP replica's!

4. Futurecity

5. Futurecity

6. Futurecity

By the way, I started a new thread regarding the Rolling Stones MADE IN THE SHADE 2005 Virgin remaster CD, if anyone would like to chip in some comments...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-in-the-shade-2005-virgin-remaster-cd.311411/

Actually, I discovered there seems to be two '05 releases - a digipak and a regular CD version. Was this the o-card edition? However, is this comp really necessary though at this point? I was able to try out some sound samples at Allmusic and they sounded incredible, so was this newly remastered in '05, or did it simply use the Virgin '94 remasters? Unfortunately, this '05 CD seems to sell for big bucks today in new condition.

7. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

The '94s were square as well- they are 5" x 5". As you said, the hard plastic slipcover was not square but that doesn't change the aspect of the artwork. So the '94s and '99s should have equally "accurate" art reproduction.

8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I'm at work right now and can't compare the two, but when looking at them over the weekend it seemed that a bit of the right edge was cropped from the front cover of the 1994 Exile release when compared to the 1999/2000 version. I'll have to recheck when I get home.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Hmm. I wouldn't doubt that some of those less popular titles made it to cutout status. However, I was working retail at a record shop at the time of release and I'm fairly sure they were released in the mini-LP sleeves first, then jewel boxes later. That doesn't dispute anything you said, of course -- in some stores, I'm sure they sold out right away and in some they likely sat around for months.

10. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Yes, I was also working in a record store at the time and the '94 remasters definitely were released as mini-LPs first, then jewel boxes. The sold-out/delete issue I am unsure about.

11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

100% correct, they were first Limited Edition mini-LP replica versions, titles like Sticky Fingers and Exile were more popular than others, this would explain the cutout status for some titles in this series.

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Yes, that's exactly how I remember it. I bought the mini lps (I and someone else have photos here of some) in hard plastic slipcases. Then soon after, I bought one title (picture in earlier post) , Exile On Main St., in a jewel case.

Agree

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I am absolutely sure about the mini-LPs being issued first. I would have preferred to buy the far less fragile jewel box versions instead, but the mini-LPs were all that were out for awhile. I lost patience and bought these editions.

One thing that often gets unmentioned in discussion of these discs -- the CDs contained in the mini-LPs had solid Rolling Stones Records yellow artwork on the disc, whereas the subsequent jewel box editions had a standard black-and-white printing on bare disc.

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

That isn't exactly correct. As I posted earlier, at least for Sticky Fingers, the standard jewel case edition originally had the yellow artwork on the disk as well. It changed to silver disks with stylized writing in the late 1990s. I have no idea if other disks had the yellow artwork, as my disks at the time were all CBS issues, except for Sticky, and my disk artwork for that title is exactly the same as the disks that came in the collector's edition.

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Untrue. See my post with photo attached (#93), also my post above yours. You're right, mini lp, but in a thick, close to jewel case, hard plastic slipcase cover, as shown in photos throughout thread, then the jewel case with yellow disc soon after.

Exactly correct.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Thank you for the clarification -- I'd never seen a yellow disc in a jewel box edition! All my mini-LPs had yellow discs and all my jewel box editions had silver discs. I would have preferred the yellow discs.

17. Futurecity

My 1999 Virgin STICKY FINGERS resealable sleeve mini LP replica CD also has a yellow disc. Can anyone here speculate about the '99 round stickers though on the front of the resealable sleeve? I mean, "From The English Masters"? I'm just wondering if the entire '99 package was made by Virgin, or just the mini replica LP/CDs and perhaps, some other company put them in those resealable sleeves to market and sell them?

Aren't there still some unanswered questions about the '99 replica's?

18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I picked up all those puppies - they were just big enough that you couldn't incorporate them into your collections with the other CD's. And.....you had to pull the plastic open to slide out the cardboard sleeve. I have to go digging and see how many of those I still have.

19. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've got Sticky Fingers, Exile, IORR, Black and Blue and Emotional Rescue in the 1994 plastic slipcases, and thought I had the rest of the 1994 Virgin discs in jewel cases. I just looked and found that I have a motley assortment and multiple copies of everything - CBS, Virgin, and even the Universal reissue of Goat's Head Soup. All of the Virgins I have in jewel cases are silver, not yellow.

20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Amazon lists 2 limited edition releases - one on Virgin that was made in the UK for the world and the other made by Virgin US.
    It appears that the "Digitally Remastered" sticker version that mentions being made by Virgin US on the actual cover has the same catalogue number as the "Digitally Remastered from The English Masters" version. Did the latter version mention being made in the USA or the UK?

21. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

In 1999 there was a series of mini lp's released in the US. I think this is the complete list:

Rolling Stones: Exile On Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls
    Heart - Dreamboat Annie
    Steve Miller - Fly Like An Eagle
    REM - Document

The following info is on the back of the mini lp's.

The Stones have Exile and Some Girls with dates of 1994 on the outside and Exile has no date. There are no remastering dates.
    Steve Miller says "Remastered: May 1999 by Bob Norberg, Capitol Mastering - Los Angeles, CA"
    Heart says, "Remastered: May 1999 by Odea Murphy, Capitol Mastering - Los Angeles"
    REM says, "Remastered: June 1999 by Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering - Portland, ME"

Also, the plastic bag that holds the mini lp has a round sticker that says, "Limited Collector's Edition" around the edge and "Digitally Remastered, Original Album Packaging" in the center. Hope this helps.

22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

So much controversy. The cd's above are legitimate US releases that were sold in stores in 1999. That is when I bought the set and they're still sealed. Nice to see they're listed for big bucks, I wonder if they actually sell at those prices. And now that I think of it, there might have been a Bob Seger too that I passed on that someone mentioned above.

23. Futurecity

Did you mean to say that STICKY FINGERS has no date? I have that one actually, and it seems to have a date on the back, but the print is so small, I can't make it out. It might say 1971 though?

24. Futurecity

Good catch! I could be wrong, but I believe the person who posted here earlier (the one who has the "Digitally Remastered from The English Masters" EXILE mini LP replica CD, did say that on his copy it did say "Printed In The USA"...which I thought was strange, for a copy proclaiming "From The English Masters".

So far, I believe everyone (including me) who owns these '99 Virgin mini LP replica CDs, has said that their copy says "Printed In The USA"...I don't recall anyone saying that they have an actual copy which states "Printed in the U.K". or Europe? So, were these '99 mini LPs strictly made in the USA and perhaps available as an import in the U.K or Europe?

But, there's still a mystery..."Digitally Remastered from The English Masters"? If this statement is true, than the disc or entire package would have been manufactured in the U.K., but presently, I haven't seen any evidence to back that up?

25. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Futurecity, I gather you are not in sales or marketing...;)
    Digitally Remastered from the English masters would NOT be coming from the marketeers in the UK, but from another country, in this case the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.