Rolling Stones 1999 Virgin LP Replica CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

From what I remember, my Sticky Fingers disc was yellow.

2. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Exactly, there is not a big mystery here. These were released in 1999 they came in a clear plastic bag sleeve and had some stickers on them. They are not bootlegs, there is no mystery about stickers, CD's wind up with lots of stickers on them all the time saying things like "contains such and such song", to "super value" to "newly mastered" blah blah blah. Stickers are very cheap ways of bringing attention to a product, they are considered disposable advertising. They are not generally part of the bands artistic statement. These CD's were released in the US and were available at least at big box stores like Best Buy.

jsayers likes this.
  3. dbeamer407

Exile has no date on the back, that info is on the inside of the gatefold, Malina has stated that their set is unopened so they would not see the date (again because it is on the inside of the gategold for Exile). Keef00 and I reported the same thing earlier in the thread.

4. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, proclaiming "Digitially Remastered from The English Masters" still sounds a bit odd to me, no matter which country issued those...it's an odd marketing phrase I don't think I remember seeing before or since.

5. dbeamer407

As far as your question about people remembering the release date of 10-05-1999, the releases have two different UPC codes and when setting up ebay auctions it is very common to use the upc to autofill the description for CD's. The 94 release has a UPC code of 724383952427 and the 99 release has a UPC code of 724384786427.

6. Futurecity

Yes, I do agree with you actually, now, but...when I initially started this thread, the first few people who responded didn't even know about these '99 mini LP replica CDs and there was a bit of a mystery about them. Later on, more people chipped in with comments and helped confirm what these are, but the fact remains that it is still very difficult to find any definitive information about these Virgin '99 reissues on the internet, for whatever reason.

As for the resealable sleeves and round stickers, all I was trying to find out was if these were made by Virgin, and to me...it looks like another company made them, but I could be wrong too. The original '94 "Collector's Edition" mini LP/CDs (in the hard plastic slipcase) clearly had official Virgin stickers on them, but these '99 re-releases kind of came and went very quickly and apparently were marketed a little differently also.

It's interesting, but I guess in a way, these turned out to be even more of a "Collector's Edition" than the original '94 versions...

7. Futurecity

Yep, thanks for the info. At any rate, unless I discover something differently, I have accepted that 10-5-99 release date as accurate. It's interesting though, that on the web, I still cannot find any reviews specifically for the STONES Virgin '99 mini LP replica CDs. I've seen sellers posting them on ebay and have seen a quick reference to them on some listing sites, but no fleshed out, full reviews on them.

8. dbeamer407

The stickers have part of the UPC code on them. That doesn't say who put them on but I bought the one cheap New copy of Sticky Fingers you mentioned on Amazon and it is still sealed with a Record Express Our Price sticker $17.99 (and then another sticker with Sale $13.99) AND the LIMITED COLLECTOR'S EDITION Digitally Remastered Original Album Packaging 47863 2 sticker. It seems unlikely that all of the copies out there with this sticker originated from Record Express so most likely they are from the manufacturer.

Also to avoid any confusion for people following this thread or referencing it years from now the two UPC codes I listed above are for Exile. The UPC for the 99 Original Album Packaging for Sticky Fingers is 72438478632.

9. Futurecity

I forgot what I mentioned earlier...did you buy the STICKY FINGERS '99 version for $8? I think that was the only cheap one? Actually, I should have maybe picked it up myself. I had recently bought a copy for just under $8 as well, but while it was described as brand new, I discovered that the disc might have been handled before (a light mark or two), plus my resealable sleeve was very dirty, creased all over and in overall terrible condition. Was your packaging basically clean and/or pristine?

Yes, my round sticker also has the number 47863 2, and thanks for pointing out that this number is part of the UPC.

Are you sure about this for SF? My UPC for the '99 Virgin LP replica CD is 72438-47863-28...did you forget to include the "8"?

10. dbeamer407

Yes I did buy the $8 one you mentioned on Amazon , it arrived today and is as I described above. I don't know if I would describe the outer plastic sleeve as pristine but it doesn't appear to have ever been opened.

Yes I messed up the UPC and left off the 8, pretty pathetic when I was trying to add clarity!

11. Futurecity

Sounds like a great purchase. Most others are being sold for $5o+ everywhere I look, so that's a bargain!

12. musicore77

musicore77 Well-Known Member

Hey, Ok, i'm New on here. Has anyone else done the A-B comparison of the Yellow 94 Virgin Disc vs the Plain Shiny ones?

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, I have both for Sticky Fingers, and have never noticed a difference. They are both the same mastering.

musicore77 likes this.
  14. musicore77

Ok, thanks. I like the CBS Original blasting on my JVC AX-44 amplifier that I only paid 50 bucks for 3 yrs ago. It rocks! Although, Hot Rocks has the Best Brown Sugar and Wild Horses.

15. Futurecity

I'm not sure if that is true or not? I don't own Hot Rocks, but once listened to sound samples from it in order to see how Brown Sugar sounds compared to the version on my 1999 STICKY FINGERS Virgin CD, and I wasn't too impressed with Hot Rocks.

Does anyone else also feel that ABKCO has the best sounding "Brown Sugar"? I've even heard subtle differences in sound quality between some of the individual 2002 STONES ABKCO CDs and Hot Rocks...the individual CDs sounded a bit more "restored" to me.

16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I think Brown Sugars's a bit more smooth on the Singles Collection than it is on the Virgin. It's a bit more boomy as well, in my opinion.

musicore77 likes this.
  17. musicore77

Ok, thanks guys, now I must go back and listen to the virgin cd one more time. Just so you know, the wife is listening too. She said thanks guys as well. lol

18. musicore77

Well, I stand corrected. We now agree that Brown Sugar, (Bob Ludwig's?) mix is awesome and way better than any other cd version there is.

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, but I think Steve commented in the Sticky Fingers SHM-SACD thread that the London Hot Rocks 2 CD's version of Brown Sugar was closest to the sound of the master tapes.

20. Futurecity

Just curious, which exact Virgin CD did you listen to?

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

There is only one Virgin CD with Ludwig's remaster, albeit there have been different sonically identical releases on Virgin.

musicore77 likes this.
  22. musicore77

The one that has 7243-8-39525-2-6 on the cd. The Shiny silver one.

23. musicore77

Oh? I used to have the yellow cd version, it was stolen back in '94 so I went back to the cbs cd. It was the forum that made me rebuy the Virgin cd.The Shiny silver one with 7243-8-39525-2-6 was this the wrong one?

24. musicore77

25. Futurecity

So, where do you rank the "Brown Sugar" Hot Rocks version now, since you now think the "shiny" silver Virgin disc beats it?

musicore77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.