Rolling Stones 2015 Tour??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by One_L, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was at the Kansas City show too, and in my opinion, it was excellent!

I noticed no problems with Keith Richards' performance.

It appears that each opening act on this tour performs one song with the Rolling Stones. In Kansas City, Ed Sheeran performed "Beast of Butden". In the previous show, in Milwaukee, Buddy Guy was the opening act and performed Muddy Waters' "Champagne and Reefer" with the Stones.

The fans in each city vote on one of the somgs, from four choices which differ in each city. The Stones perform the winning song. In Kansas City "Street Fighting Man" reportedly won by six votes. The other choices were "Get Off Of My Cloud", "Live With Me" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg."

In each city two songs are performed from "Sticky Fingers" in addition to "Brown Sugar". In Kansas City the choices were "Bitch" and "Wild Horses". In some other cities "Moonlight Mile", "Dead Flowers" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" have been performed.

A local choir in each city sings with the Stones on "You Can't Always Get What You Want". In Kansas Cuty it was a choir from the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    forthlin and theshape like this.
  2. Hot Ptah

I want to add that the Kansas City show was high energy from start to finish, no lulls or dead spots. To me, there is something special in 2015 to witness the originator of some of the classic rock riffs of all time step forward and play them in person.

Jagger was in excellent voice throughout.

forthlin, botley and theshape like this.
  3. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

The Stones have just 'done a Bowie' and released 'Sticky Fingers Live' on itunes this morning without any advance fanfare. The release consists of all ten SF songs as performed at the Fonda theatre in LA on May 20th. Prices are £6.99/€7.99/$9.99

This show was filmed for official release so no doubt there'll be a multi-format audio/video package of it later on as was the case with Sweet Summer Sun, which they released first as a downlaod just a couple of weeks after they played Hyde Park in July 2013 - only difference being this time there's been no warning.

It sounds really good, too.

4. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

'Kansas City' was literally the first song the Stones ever played as a live band. It opened their first ever concert , at the Marquee, on 12th July 1962.

From what I can tell, they havent played it since 1962.

905, macdaddysinfo, forthlin and 5 others like this.
  5. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I was also at the Kansas City show, and I gotta say... it was a total mind blower to witness this band rock the stage in person! Great show from start to finish!! :righton:

Adam9, forthlin, Hot Ptah and 3 others like this.
  6. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yep. They were really in fine form, for the first night of a tour. Terrific recording and performance.

markaudio likes this.
  7. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I went to Kansas City. Thought Ed Sheeran was great but the audio mix was poor...for him.

The Stones were good, I am not a fan of the long jams and audience participation so I got bored on "Miss You" and Midnight Rambler to name two. I am not a big Stones expert but also wish they would play more Brian Jones era tunes...

Two other minor issue as stated before elsewhere - Richards and to a lesser extent Wood seem to be a few seconds off on many songs. It's almost like Jagger is waiting on them. Watts is steady.

Also, the chemistry seems to be poor. Almost seemed like a Mick Jagger show. Not much interaction between the three men...For example, Richards started the riff to Beasts of Burden before Jagger could intro the song - he already introduced Sheeran, so at least Richards waited for that.

I was surprised that the KR songs served as bathroom break! I liked em!

Best songs for me Beast Of Burden, Kansas City and Honky Tonk Woman - which resulted in a surprising but very cool sing-along. PS -Stones cannot play/sing KS like the Beatles or McCartney. Of course, I missed the "Hey Hey Hey's"!

8. botley

botley Forum Resident

That's a different song. The Stones play the original, the Beatles covered the Little Richard medley version with "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" added.

9. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I know, good point.

10. Hot Ptah

I did not hear the lack of timing and chemistry which you heard. It could be that you have ears which are more keen.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In Pittsburgh, AWOL Nation opened but they didn't come onstage during the Stones' performance. I guess they really were AWOL! :D

12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The Temperance Movement opened for the Stones in Orlando and didn't play with them during the Stone's set either. And I'm glad they didn't. :)

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by AWOL Nation at all.

I'm guessing the Stones invite opening acts who're famous in their own right to guest but not more obscure acts like AWOL or Temperance...

14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

thanks G!!!

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

There were a couple of moments where I might have noticed some timing issues, but I wasn't sure if it was the players, or perhaps just the slap-back from the enormous stadium. I was about 10 feet from the very top of Arrowhead, the seats around me were occupied by mountain goats. ;) I suppose I could nitpick about things, but I don't want to. I saw legendary performers put on a top notch show of top shelf material--I have no complaints. Besides, I have now seen Paul McCartney/Bruce Springsteen/and the Stones playing "Kansas City." Pretty damn cool.

Adam9, SKBubba, Carserguev and 4 others like this.
  17. Hot Ptah

The Kansas City show was in a huge outdoor NFL football stadium.
    I was sitting one section from the stage, in the 20th row of the lower seating area, and I heard no timing issues. I thought it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen in any genre of music in over 40 years of comcert going.

I have sat in the top row of the upper deck for NFL games at Arrowhead Stadium, and the mountain goats comparison is appropriate!

I will say that the band played with a raw style, and what I heard as delightfully loud and tough might have been heard as imperfect by those with better ears or more musical training than I have.

Another thing-I really liked the graphics and band camera shots used on the large screens on the sides of the stage. I had thought that Paul McCartney's show had used the large screens well, but I think that the Stones used them better. The Stomes had graphics unique for Kansas City. I also liked how Brian Jones was shown a surprising (to me)
    amount in the opening presentation of the band's history.

I think we are lucky to live in a time when both the Rollimg Stones and Paul McCartney are still presenting top notch live shows.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Adam9, John Grimes, icirider and 4 others like this.
  18. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Song vote up for Raleigh.. Very nice choices

Angie
    Worried About You
    Far Away Eyes
    Shine A Light

streetlegal and Hot Ptah like this.
  19. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Yes, when I go to see a live act the sound quality and view are always second to being in the room.

20. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

unfortunately as one of those was a mega-hit, it'll almost certainly be the winner. No doubt Mick is more than aware of this and chose the shortlist accordingly!

streetlegal and macdaddysinfo like this.
  21. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure there have been a few overdubs and tweaks here and there but its still a hugely enjoyable listen.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  22. botley

botley Forum Resident

Such as?

23. Hot Ptah

"Angie" would give pianist Chuck Leavell something to play. He was not very prominent at the Kansas City show. I wonder how these lists are chosen. The list for Raleigh is less rocking than Kansas City's list.

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I would prefer Angie or Far Away Eyes over the other two.

25. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I think the Avett Brothers will be invited to do a tune with the Stones in Raleigh. I also hope that St. Paul and the Broken Bones get to do one in Buffalo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.