Rolling Stones 2015 Tour??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by One_L, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree with him.

Rachel likes this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Football stadiums and arenas destroy music as art, imo, and acts like U2 or Springsteen are rare in their attempts at featuring new or deep material. It is likely that those tries are wasted on 3/4ths of the attendees.

It's a shame that music went so gigantic for performance these past 40 years and didn't strictly adhere to ballrooms and theaters for expression. But massive popularity = grand cash. No blame given.

3. Hot Ptah

What I heard in Kansas City was not an artistic waste. It is like Paul Mc Cartney doing Beatles songs today, or Muddy Waters performing his 1950s Chess material in 1980 (which I saw live then). If the material is played with passion and inspiration it does not matter so much that it is familiar. If the level of live performance is dull and listless, yeah then I will be in there carping about song choices too.
    At some point the level of live performer is so high that the choice of material matters less. These are just my opinions of course.

Adam9 and Carserguev like this.
  4. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, JJF, HTW, Satisfaction, Start me Up, Miss You have been pretty much ever present for decades. Apart from Satisfaction which was hardly played for about a decade in the 70s, all of those songs have been pretty much in every show since they were released (Satisfaction and Miss You were both dropped on the '99 No Security Tour and Miss You was rarely played on the Licks Tour in 2002-03)

On this 2012-2015 tour, Midnight rambler and You Cant Always Get What You Want can be added to that list. Its Only Rock n Roll rarely gets dropped also. Thats over half the show, which runs for 19 songs. Probably more actually as three of those songs are pretty long. Once Keith does his two song mini set, the rest of the show is pretty much set in stone. Of the 17 songs that Mick sings probably about five songs are up for grabs on any given night. And maybe only about one or two might be a song that doesnt get played semi regularly.

I can understand the need to play a predominantly hits friendly show in a stadium, especially in places where they havent visited in a long time. The main thing that bewilders me though is that it has to be the same 8-10 hits every night. they have a LOT of very well known songs. The argument about people not knowing the Brian Jones era material doesnt really stand up. The Stones era a band that are more associated with the 60s than any other time. Their greatest albums may have come from the early 70s but their biggest HITS and most of their career defining songs come from the 60's. Almost all of their number one singles came from that decade (in fact, in the UK, ALL of them did).

Here's a little bit of trivia about a Jones-era song that a lot of people may not know. Theyve NEVER played 'Out of Time'. Now thats an album track from 1966 that wasnt a hit for the Stones, but which everybody knows. Even if it was the Chris Farlowe cover which topped the UK charts.

Play that one in a stadium and I guarantee pretty much the entire crowd will be singing along with it.

James RD and Rocco like this.
  5. Hot Ptah

I have seen great shows in large venues and very disappointing shows in small theaters. A 79,000 seat NFL stadium may not be the ideal place for an evening of quiet, introspective ballads, but some of the least inspiring live sets I have ever seen were in clubs or intimate theaters. In my opinion, it is difficult to generalize. To me, the current Stones performance level is so high that it does not matter, just as McCartney excelled on all levels in a 19,000 seat arena last year.

footlooseman and Gazza63 like this.
  6. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Your last point is spot on. Its great entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. I dont think theres anything artistic in nostalgia or playing the same songs the way theyve been played for decades - but there's room in a show for both. The Stones have just chosen to take an easier route creatively - and and if that works for them and the audience they're targetting, thats great.

footlooseman and Hot Ptah like this.
  7. Hot Ptah

I love Out of Time and would love to hear them perform it.

It occurs to me, maybe Jagger just doesn't feel like singing certain songs, just doesn't want to. When Bob Dylan does a setlist of recent album cuts some people applaud him for just doing whatever he feels and desires. Maybe it is not that different for Jagger.

8. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

U2's tours regularly outgross each previous one despite their reliance on pushing artistic new boundaries and focussing heavily on new songs - so I dont think its wasted on their audience

I usually go to about half a dozen Springsteen shows each tour and that 'anything goes' type of show went down a treat from what I could see. I didnt hear of too many people feeling underwhelmed or confused by hearing songs they didnt know. And we're talking about setlists of maybe around 30 songs where basically you could expect about ten oldies to be played pretty much every show, about 4-5 off a new record and the rest being unpredictable or totally random choices.

I think it just comes down to a different audience demographic. The Stones' ticket prices targets an older and different audience who are maybe more averse to hearing music thats new or unfamiliar.

9. Hot Ptah

I also saw a lot of younger people at the Stones' show in Kansas City, who may not know too much about 1960s music and only know the radio hits. It could actually be that some of the white haired people in the Stones' audience would be more receptive about hearing "Miss Amanda Jones" or "Sitting on a Fence" than the 20 year olds. I don't know.

10. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

John Grimes, SKBubba, mgb70 and 4 others like this.
  11. Hot Ptah

Those are incredible photos, such high quality. How close to the stage were you? You were either really close or were using an excellent camera. No one could get photos of that quality on a cell phone, I think.

Ron Mexico likes this.
  12. Hot Ptah

This is interesting to me--it is a more introspective, quiet setlist than Kansas City's. I now realize that in Kansas City, they just decided to rock out all the time.

theshape likes this.
  13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Out Of Time is a mean-spirited song by an angry young man - not so strange if Jagger doesn't want to do it.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Hot Ptah and Ron Mexico like this.
  15. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

theyve certainly gone some way to addressing the 'ageing fanbase' issue on this tour with the Lucky Dip thing as well as some of the tickets at the lower end of the scale being REALLY inexpensive. It also helps that theyre playing some markets which they havent visited in decades

rburly and Hot Ptah like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Of all the "legacy acts" I see regularly, no one is more ambitious in terms of challenging the audience than Madonna. Traditionally she draws about half the show from her newest album, and a lot of the other half tends to be reworked versions of older tracks.

I won't argue people need to like her, but I think folks should respect Madonna for the way she refuses to pander to the audience. She does the show she wants and lets the chips fall where they may...

bonus, Gazza63 and Hot Ptah like this.
  17. Hot Ptah

Interesting point. Imagine a man in his 70s pointing at a large crowd and telling them that they are "obsolete", "poor old fashioned baby", "out of touch", "you don't know what's going on, you've been away for far too long, you can't come back and think that you are still mine."

It would seem odd, and might justifiably generate chuckles or some other negative reaction.

dino77 likes this.
  18. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Thank you! I was in the sixth row on Keith's side. I'm minus a kidney that I had to sell to buy the ticket but you only live once ;) Since I like taking pics at shows I recently got a highly rated Sony digital camera since most places won't let you bring in professional cameras with detachable lenses.

Gazza63, footlooseman and Hot Ptah like this.
  19. Hot Ptah

In fact, almost all of the markets on this tour are second tier cities in terms of population. I wonder why they decided to do that. They played Milwaukee but not Chicago, Kansas City and Raleigh but not New York or Los Angeles. It would guarantee that their concert would be a huge event in each city that they went to. But I wonder why they really did it.

20. Hot Ptah

Hey, I think that we all had to sell body parts, or at least make some painful adjustments to our budgets, to go to this show! But it was totally worth it!

Ron Mexico and rburly like this.
  21. Hot Ptah

As long is it of high quality, I am all for that. Now no one has loved Bob Dylan's music more than me for the past 40 years. But I have to say that his May, 2015, concert, drawn almost completely from albums released from 2001 through 2014, was just not that good on an objective level, comparing him to other top acts. A performer can take brave artistic chances but if the execution is not there, that is not so great either.

22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

One gets the feeling 'Out Of Control' got zero votes, but got added to the set too because Mick likes the strobe dance routine he does with it.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Correct...Dylan and Young are definitely artists that have played a wide variety of material...even wider than the Stones (although I disagree that Dylan's is "far" wider).

However both those artists' deep, but relatively narrow, fan base allows them to do this. At this stage of the game, the number of casual fans of both is minuscule compared to the Stones; they play to people who are receptive to this approach.

It's still called show business for a reason. That the Stones can still mix up their sets - which with a stage act like theirs presents logistical challenges - and still fill stadiums with people who want to see them play...should be commended, not criticized.

Having said that, I saw them in Raleigh last night and that was definitely the worst show of the roughly 15 times I've seen them since '81...

duggan and Hot Ptah like this.
  24. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I am pretty sure they did it this way to make the shows be migrational, to encourage travel from other places. The Stones are an event where the concert pulls in fans in from surrounding areas and metropolitan centers, to bring audiences TO the Stones, instead of the Stones going everywhere. Fewer shows, central locations, with higher yield audiences. Makes sense.

For instance Milwaukee, on its own, is nothing really special on its own as a venue city -- sorry to anyone in Milwaukee -- but that date was pulling in people from nearby Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison, Davenport, Green Bay, even Detroit. There is a reason they went there.

Buffalo, same thing - it's a magnet. Put the Stones in Buffalo, and you get pull from Canada, Toronto AND New York, even Jersey, all within a days' drive. Atlanta, same deal -- big stadium, and virtually the entire South is within 6-8 hours drive. Road trip!

I have heard large-scale music festival promoters discuss this very topic -- how to pull people from surrounding areas and make a festival or concert into a migrational, tourism-driven event -- hotel capacity , local sight-seeing draws, spreading out the advertising, etc. I have no doubt that's what the Stones were doing here, by skipping the famous New York, Los Angeles, Chicago etc. Plus they already played most of those places, on the last go around in 2013.

Gazza63, footlooseman and Hot Ptah like this.
  25. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Jagger hates that song. I saw him say it in an interview.

Hot Ptah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.