Rolling Stones Album-by-Album Thread (Part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I didn't know that there were any pictures of their fight?
    But is this about when Ronnie swore he would not do any freebase coke? And then was caught doing just that?

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I bought it way back when and listened to it a couple of times. I have never listened to it again since it was released.

old school likes this.
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

From Bill Wymans archive:

caption for photo:

"Ronnie 'Spilling The Beans' to Keith during rehearsals at Longview Farm, North Brookfield, Massachusetts, August 1981 ..."

4. old school

old school Senior Member

I did the same thing.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

same here, until just before this write up.

stef1205 and Rose River Bear like this.
  6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I just thought it was skimpy. A tour featuring a long, varied trawl through the Stones' back catalogue, more so than they had ever done, and a live album with just a few songs on it. I was happy when the Beast of Burden B side appeared as it filled out the album a little bit. I had a Betamax tape of the Hampton Roads show, and soon after a triple vinyl release of the same, so maybe the album meant less to me. Great opening version of Under My Thumb. In retrospect, I like Ernie Watts' saxophone less than I did at the time. He's no Sonny Rollins. In fact, it puts me in mind of the current thread of Courtney Love saying saxophones don't belong in rock. I can't agree, but I understand. Best saxophone moment of the '81 tour always still belonged to Bobby Keyes.

The Keith swings his guitar at the fan during Satisfaction moment was perhaps the crowning glory of the legend of Keef. Jagger on the other hand will always be remembered for his awful American football outfits. His McLaren inspired wardrobe of '78 was questionable, but it wasn't until '81 that his cool factor really came into question.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Don't remember much in the way of Halloween costumes and sometimes it can be hard to tell between that and someone's concert costume if you know what I mean. The key words here are don't and remember. I do remember being down in the mosh pit for a while in the first half of the show but it was so crowded per usual with everyone trying to be in the first two rows in front of the stage that I started to feel a little light headed and decided my life wasn't worth the risk of staying in that environment any longer so I moved back a bit.

Edit: I forgot about Ernie Watts, a great, great jazz reed player was on the tour. His sound is nothing like Sonny's but I guess Mick wanted a jazz sax player for the tour because of Waiting On A Friend and he probably paid handsomely for it. Ernie is not only a first call session player but he has a lot of albums as a leader and teaches a lot through clinics, etc. so he stays pretty busy afaik. I wonder if Bobby Keys was even asked? It's hard to imagine him saying no.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Bobby Keyes was not asked. He was not reinstated by Jagger for some time to come. There were periods of time where Keith paid him out of pocket to come along and perform his featured pieces.

Ernie is a great player of course. Just that, listening in retrospect, his playing sounds too orderly and clean. It probably didn't sound like that in the stadiums. Also, maybe Jagger wanted to make sure that they had people keeping the sound together.

bonus likes this.
  9. botley

botley Forum Resident

The first dates of the '81 tour in September had no sax player, then Lee Allen played the shows in Rockford and Boulder before Ernie came on board, with Bobby sporadically joining in later. Gene Barge and Bobby played sax on all of the '82 shows.

mick_sh likes this.
  10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Stones_Deutschland_82.jpg

mick_sh and John Fell like this.
  11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Europe '82

ZZZ000764-ST.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    wavethatflag and Culpa like this.
  12. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

You can criticize Mick's 1981-82 looks if you like, but the worst offender was Bill.

That headband!

[​IMG]

John Fell, cc-- and botley like this.
  13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Madrid, Spain. July 7th 1982. Storm, heavy rain and... The Rolling Stones.

Purple Jim and D.B. like this.
  15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I always thought the best thing about both Still Life and the Lets Spend the Night Together film was Under My Thumb. A nice new arrangement, and a pretty exciting way to open a show.

But over the years I've probably enjoyed the Franken and Davis spoof even more than the real thing. Note - this is not the same video that I taped off TV back in the '80s, maybe from Solid Gold, which I think is even better - but this is still pretty good:

16. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Let's get phy-sick-cle!

[​IMG]

John Fell and mick_sh like this.
  17. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

not really, I would say... and by bacchanals I mean the event, not the players. I mean, I know people were getting laid at concerts in the '60s, but there's something about this era of touring that seems like slumming, and condescending to the audience. The '72-76 tours I believe were renowned widely for introducing a new level of glamor to the rock concert. Not that this isn't problematic, with Truman Capote in the audience, celebrity worship, and all that dreadful stuff. This is what leads to the emptiness of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll amd the necessity of punk. But in 1981, sure, mick and keith may be up there drinking and shirtless, and looking like rock and roll animals, but at the end of the night the band is going back to the Four Seasons; no one in the audience is. I think it's at this point that the Stones no longer speak at all to the culture at large; it's just a Rolling Stones fan thing. And at this point there's a pretty big gap between them and their fans, probably more than at any other time -- from '89 on, the band will be tamer and the crowd more affluent and restrained.

true -- so it means nothing that he's unshaven, making goofy faces, and wearing terrible clothes. He couldn't possibly be on heroin, even though it's established that he will be within a couple of years. Long live the Stones!

bonus and D.B. like this.
  18. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I agree on the live arrangement to "Under My Thumb", which I think is a much livelier improvement to the way it is on "Aftermath". And I first heard it not on "Still Life", but on that Franken and Davis special when it was re-run on Comedy Central! Watching it again, though, I gotta ask: is this comedy, or cosplay?

TheiPodAvenger, charliez and bonus like this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So this is 20 minutes until they walk out onstage for the HBO live-cast! Mick looks nervous as hell in all these shots imo.

Keith does not look look like he loves the thought of facing 50 million people, and Ronnie looks wired up good and ready for whatever. Keith said that as they were standing there, they were asking each other "what have you gotten me into this time???" They were terrified to say the least, and I think that these color pictures of them in the lineup show that.

Anyway, so they go out there and...... flub badly the intro to the opening number. It's like stage jitters finally got Keith and Ronnie, and they can't even seem to count off the damn song and start it together. The most ragged opening ever for the song Under My Thumb and 50 mil. people are tuned in.

So thankfully, the guitar section quickly tightens it up considerably, and one of the best nights of the US tour is caught on video.

bonus likes this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Call me crazy, but I'm going to buy one of those Still Life picture disc LP.

botley likes this.
  22. botley

botley Forum Resident

Reminder to all: we will be discussing Live at Checkerboard Lounge next, if you want to get a leg up and check that out. Should have that written up in a few days' time.
    Never mind that critics were DIRECTLY comparing fans at 60s Stones shows to the Bacchae, with teenage girls trying to tear apart their idols.

I see no evidence of this. Hotels are hotels. Have you toured with a band before, out of curiosity?

Wow, no need for the snark. Maybe he doesn't like having his photo taken.

mick_sh likes this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I will check that out again, but only the vinyl. Mick's outfit in this one is sooo hideous. :p

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  24. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

nice etymological connection, but there wasn't a chance of that in a stadium, which is my point -- the band is totally removed, so the fans' frenzy is directed onto each other. (And it's become a much more male fan culture -- it's of course a guy that keith swipes at with his guitar)

yes, but I don't see the relevance? Or maybe the contrast is telling: our best option was to sleep on an audience member's floor. Can't get much closer than that. Whereas the Stones fan ca. 1981 had at best an illusion of closeness thanks to the vaguely punk-inspired aesthetics of the event. But in truth the group perhaps had never had as little in common with the main body of their fans.

sorry for the snark, but I'm looking at historical shifts as we go through the years, so the diehard's (or new convert's) "same as it ever was" response doesn't jibe with my perspective.

bonus likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

At the time of these tours I wasn't fully into the Stones. I mean, I loved the guys but I was more into The Clash, Only Ones, Pretenders, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, Chic, reggae,... so I didn't bother going to any of the London shows. I've been kicking myself that I didn't go ever since. :realmad:
    Thank God for the Hal Ashby film and the Hampton TV show.:D

mick_sh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.