Rolling Stones Album-by-Album Thread (Part 14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. TommyPlural

TommyPlural Forum Resident

4 Flicks was actually one of the first things by the Stones that I ever owned. The idea of 3 concerts and a documentary in one package was enough to pique my casual interest into actually picking it up. I've long thought that the "Stadium" show is the most enjoyable - this may be a result of being more of a casual fan when I first watched these and thus unfamiliar with the majority of the "Theater" setlist. Other Stones live releases have taken more prominence in my eyes since but I still enjoy putting these DVDs on from time to time. As a huge Beach Boys fan I relish every time Blondie Chaplin is in the spotlight, and I'm always curious to learn more about his work with the Stones (and his, in general, very interesting resume of work with many rock and roll greats). Thinking this all over, I realize in the decade that I've had these discs I don't think I've ever watched the documentary! Am I missing something? I'll get to it eventually, just... haven't.

Sean, The MEZ, melstapler and 3 others like this.
  3. botley

botley Forum Resident

TABLE OF CONTENTS for the previous 13 parts of the thread!

1.) "Come On" | "Poison Ivy (single version)" | "I Wanna Be Your Man" | The Rolling Stones EP
    2.) "Not Fade Away" | The Rolling Stones
    3.) "It's All Over Now" | Five By Five EP | "Time Is On My Side (single version)"
    4.) The split in the Stones' US and UK discographies | 12 x 5
    5.) "Little Red Rooster" | The Rolling Stones No. 2
    6.) SIDEBAR #1: The Rolling Stones at the BBC
    7.) The Rolling Stones, Now!
    8.) "The Last Time" | got LIVE if you want it! EP | "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
    9.) Thoughts on Brian Jones' changing role within the group: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
    10.) Out Of Our Heads US | Out Of Our Heads UK
    11.) "Get Off Of My Cloud" | December's Children (and everybody's)
    12.) "19th Nervous Breakdown"/"As Tears Go By" | Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)
    13.) Aftermath
    14.) "Paint It, Black"
    15.) SIDEBAR #2: The Covers Codex -- The Rolling Stones Play Other People's Songs
    16.) "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?" | got LIVE if you want it! LP
    17.) Thoughts on the impending, inevitable collision between the Stones and the Establishment: Part 1 | Part 2
    18.) "Let's Spend The Night Together"/"Ruby Tuesday"
    19.) Between The Buttons
    20.) Flowers
    21.) "We Love You" | outtake#1 - Oscar Wilde, Mick Jagger, and irony writ large | outtake #2 - The Beatles, The Who and The Stones
    22.) Their Satanic Majesties Request
    23.) "Jumpin' Jack Flash"/"Child Of The Moon"
    24.) "Street Fighting Man"
    25.) Beggars Banquet
    26.) "Honky Tonk Women"
    27.) Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)
    28.) Let It Bleed
    29.) 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' - The Rolling Stones In Concert
    30.) Sticky Fingers
    31.) SIDEBAR #3: 38 Special - The 38 Essential Decca-Era Outtakes
    32.) Hot Rocks/1964-1971 | More Hot Rocks (big hits & fazed cookies)
    33.) SIDEBAR #4: Exile On Main Street -- collective preliminary discussion
    34.) Exile On Main Street
    35.) Goat's Head Soup
    36.) The Brussels Affair '73
    37.) It's Only Rock 'N Roll
    38.) Metamorphosis
    39.) Black And Blue
    40.) Love You Live
    41.) L.A. Friday - Live '75
    42.) Some Girls
    43.) Some Girls Live in Texas '78
    44.) SIDEBAR #5: 1979–81 -- more collective preliminary discussion
    45.) Emotional Rescue
    46.) Tattoo You
    47.) Sucking in the Seventies
    48.) Still Life (American Concert 1981)
    49.) Live at the Checkerboard Lounge, Chicago 1981
    50.) Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981) / Live At Leeds Roundhay Park 1982
    51.) Undercover
    52.) SIDEBAR #6: World War III Declared: a brewing crossfire hurricane
    53.) Dirty Work
    54.) SIDEBAR #7: World War III, part two: both alike in dignity
    55.) Steel Wheels
    56.) Flashpoint
    57.) Live At The Tokyo Dome
    58.) Voodoo Lounge
    59.) Stripped
    60.) Bridges to Babylon
    61.) No Security
    62.) Forty Licks

Sean, daltieri, ruben lopez and 6 others like this.
  4. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

No I hadn't seen that, but it's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

6. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Geez, what happened to this thread, eh? Dead in the water. Is it due to the strongly expressed "differences in opinion" ince the last guy took over the "leadership"? Or just lack of interest in this part of the band's career?

bonus likes this.
  7. botley

botley Forum Resident

I know @Croidler is busy working on music but more installments are coming. Anybody who cares to chime in on Live Licks and Four Flicks, please do.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Will be anxious for it to resume. Don't have Live Licks yet, but I do have Four Flicks and liked it quite a bit. Especially the theatre show. I find myself drawn more towards the discs with lesser played material on them than ones featuring all the warhorses. Love Keith's version of "The Nearness of You". Some nice little guitar fills on that one too.

Mark

The MEZ and botley like this.
  9. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

I don't mind Live Licks myself. Of course, Disc 1 is the hits, and the other disc the less-covered material, but perhaps because I don't listen to the Stones or "classic rock" day in day out, the hits part is pretty good for me, as opposed to totally boring. In fact, "Sterrt Fighting Man" is possibly my favourite track on the album. I believe that this song is a re-recorded in-studio lead vocal by Jagger - but it's a great vocal, energetic and powerful, as is the band behind him. The weak pint of the album for me is the lack of interesting contributions by Keith and Ron. I feel that they are merely coasting along, sounding good in general but too lazy to give it that extra push that made their interplay something special. For example, the jam on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" - Bobby Keys and Jagger sound great on their instruments, but the guitars are extremely bland - nothing innovative, "jazzy", left-of-centre. I believe that this last tour they've been focusing more, but I get the feeling with latter-day live Stones that the guitarists took their roles for granted (especially Keith), and could not be 'bothered' to contribute during rehearsals and performances like previously. So in that way, Live Licks is nothing to write home about, but overall, the band and the extra musicians do a great job. Is it just me who feels this way? I'm not trying to knock Richards, but one expects some more fire from him on a live album.

I guess that other less-than-highlights include Sheryl Crow's unnecessary vocal turn on "Honky Tonk Women" (totally out of place), the version of "Rock Me, Baby" that doesn't go anywhere, and the too-brief guest appearance of an underutilised Solomon Burke. I understand that the Stones Corporation don't think of guest appearances in creative or artistic terms, but at least for Solomon Burke, they could've made an effort.

Anyway, I sound kinda negative, but I like the album overall, and it's a good car listen - not paying too much attention to the details, just enjoying the vibe.

The MEZ and Nielsoe like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

have we gotten to the RARITIES release? i can't wait to see the comments on that from the users here

Fullbug likes this.
  11. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

Hey everyone,
    Sorry I've been busy but my single is done now (check it out here if you like: https://soundcloud.com/christian-bonner/brought-to-justice)

I have a little more work to do, might not be able to get to the reviews until the weekend, but I'll have it done by Monday for sure.

RHCD, JuanTCB, botley and 1 other person like this.
  12. botley

botley Forum Resident

Check out his single, it kinda sounds like the Stones!

RHCD likes this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Glad to see there is hope that this thread will continue. It's inspired me to buy some latter-day Stones I probably never would have gotten around to otherwise, including Four Flicks. So far, I have just gotten through the Documentary disc and extras on it, plus part of the MSG arena show, and have really been enjoying it. I love the Extreme Western Grip, etc., studio jam session included in the extras, really shows what a fantastic, deep groove they can still get into. The soundcheck version of Worried About You, starting with Mick solo on the keys with other members joining in one-by-one (similar to the beginning of Stop Making Sense) is also very cool, although I wish they didn't fade it out partway through. Looking forward to finishing the MSG show, which has been excellent so far, and watching the rest of the set.

I have not yet picked up Live Licks during my current binge, but did pick up Sweet Summer Sun (bonus version with 1969 Hyde Park performance), Sucking in the '70s, Flashpoint, Checkerboard Lounge, and Live at the Max, all pretty much inspired by this thread. More to follow, as well. I've had all the studio albums for a while, but lots of gaps in the live album and DVD catalog that I'm now beginning to fill.

Glync, Croidler and botley like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah i want to see some comments on the later day stuff

15. TommyPlural

TommyPlural Forum Resident

Yeah, thanks to this thread I've absorbed so much more of the Stones catalog than I ever thought/ knew existed. Voodoo Lounge even ended up being a bit of a "summer album" for me this year. While on a road trip (from Michigan to California and back) I ended up picking up A Bigger Bang for $1 at Amoeba Records in Hollywood so ended up taking a lot of that record in while driving across vacant Nevada landscapes. Is that one of the most dramatic "success stories" for a thread or what? Anyway, the "Theater Show" on 4 Flicks is pretty awesome. How much have the Stones covered "Love Train?"

bonus, Glync, pdenny and 5 others like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I should mention that this thread also inspired me to listen to Undercover, Steel Wheels, Bridges by Babylon, and A Bigger Bang, which were the 4 studio albums I'd never listened to in full, despite having owned the Virgin vinyl 1972-2007 set for a couple of years (not recommended, I bought before I discovered this forum, and unlike the ABCKO vinyl set, which is great, these are digital transfers from masterings that generally are very compressed, and most have to be cleaned a lot before play).

The only post-Tattoo You album I knew well was Dirty Work, which I'd picked up 15 or so years ago on the advice of my guitar teacher, who said it was underrated. I like the Keith-sung tracks, and do like throwing it on once in a blue moon, but overall it is easily the worst of the bunch. I did not like Harlem Shuffle much when it came out, but at this point, while still my least favorite Stones single, I don't mind hearing it once in a while.

Anyway, I'd heard the singles off of Steel Wheels and Bridges, as well as various live versions, but did not know anything from A Bigger Bang. A Bigger Bang was the best surprise, really quite good, and Bridges is much better than I expected as well (I had always liked Saint of Me, but been indifferent to the other singles). Steel Wheels wasn't that exciting, but I'll have to give it another try, and Undercover is a very interesting listen, fun although flawed.

I liked these enough to go out and find cheap CD copies of all four of these as well, to burn into iTunes since I spend way too much of my listening time at work or commuting. I paid a bit more for Bridges because I wanted the original issue with the slipcase, but thanks to the Berkeley Amoeba I wound up getting A Bigger Bang for under $2 - a very nice surprise and yet another thread success story.

quicksrt, Glync, bonus and 3 others like this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

A late respons to this I know but I gotta say you're dead on on every single word in the above.

18. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

"Love Train" was pretty regular on that tour, but never played before or since, I got it at the stadium show I saw.

botley likes this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

FYI off-topic for a moment.

Stones fans might want to check out the Let's Go Get Stoned album by the Chesterfield Kings. It sounds like a lost Stones album and has a guest appearance by Mick Taylor. I have been diggin' it lately. It has covers of Street Fighting Man and the unissued Stones song Can't Believe It. The artwork is a knock off of Aftermath and Through The Past Darkly. :edthumbs:

Swedgen and mooseman like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

21. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Thanks mate. Maybe I was being a bit harsh on the Solomon Burke appearance - hearing it again, he gets a chance to whip the crowd up a bit. Plus, maybe it is edited like a lot of stuff on Live Licks ("Rocks Off", ouch!). And "Rock Me Baby" is okay, too. I should watch the DVD more, I've not put it on for ages.

22. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

As a musician and blues pedant, I wholeheartedly endorse "Rock me Baby", perfect tempo, swing and two kinds of noodling from Keith and Ronnie. Brilliant.

Matthew Tate, bonus and botley like this.
  23. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

Solomon Burke's Performance is taken from the LA forum while the rest of the track is from the Paris show, they cut out the bridge (which is the best part of the song), though Burke still sings it over the main groove. Weird.

24. botley

botley Forum Resident

L.A. club show was at the Wiltern.

I've been helping Croidler put this next installment together and WHOO BOY, is it ever a doozy. Last count was twenty pages. Settle in tomorrow, folks! Hope you have some leisure time set aside to read. Feels like the most comprehensive entry of the entire thread.

Silver1973, MRamble, Glync and 2 others like this.
  25. EsotericCD

EsotericCD Forum Resident

I am intrigued...