Rolling Stones Between the Buttons SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Astralweeks, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog Thread Starter

Haven't found much on Stones SACDs on here so I figured this could help. I'm looking for a really nice Between the Buttons UK CD. Some say the SACD is great, some say the London CD is better. Anyone have an opinion?

2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

There's one for a reasonable price in the classified section right now if you want to check out how awesome the SACD sounds.

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The SACD has no-noise, the London CD has speed problems. And the London CD is not the UK tracklisting, it's the U.S.

Neither are what the album deserves, but the SACD isn't awful. It's just irritating that they seem to have narrowed the stereo image somewhat, and used no-noise on the beginning and ending of tracks. The London CD I would only recommend if you can get it cheaply, because the speed issues, especially on "Miss Amanda Jones" are unacceptable. That track sounds like the Chipmunks. Shame since the rest of the album sounds lovely.

George P and mdm08033 like this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Short answer is one doesn't exist commercially.

The London CD is arguably the best "as-is" version, although that's the US track listing.

Best would be a restoration using the SACD and London CD as sources, reversing any narrowing and avoiding NR.

5. telepicker97

London CD speed issues = not acceptable

Larry Geller and FJFP like this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ideal? No. Acceptable? When the alternative is noise reduction and narrowing, definitely.

7. telepicker97

Yeah, I guess I never realized why BTB is one where I always reach for the vinyl...

vudicus likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Also, it's fixable, whereas the damage of noise reduction is there for good.
    The sources for the early London CD's range from average to superb, but the transfers were mostly well done.

The 2002 SACD's often used better source tapes but the noise reduction and image narrowing is not good at all.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Other than the speed differences, the London CD sounds better than the LPs I've heard.

Thankfully, the narrowing can be undone, and the NR is mostly only in intros, so it's not too hard to splice in the requisite bits from the London CD.

Definitely NR in the intro of Yesterday's Papers. And the version of Ruby Tuesday on Grrr is fine.

IDwithnoE and vudicus like this.
  10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Luckily I have a pristine UK un-boxed Stereo to spin when I feel like some "Between the Buttons".
    Picked it up around 10 years ago for £50. Couldn't believe my luck.

11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

"Please Go Home" on The London Flowers CD suffers from an annoying fade in too which makes it lose its impact.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's also from an inferior source, as is Back Street Girl. The original ABKCO CD is better, although thankfully both songs sound great on the SACDs.

telepicker97 and vudicus like this.
  13. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

My local honey hole has the SACDs for $10-$20. Wonder if my PS3 or Xbox One will play them. Internet search engine engaged!

14. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I've always read that the (pre-sacd) Abkco CD's that came after the Londons were not very good.
    Are there any that are worth picking up?

16. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The best UK cd are the mono now appearing in the new boxed set.

telepicker97 likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It depends on the album, and sometimes on the song.

The stereo tracks on Now! are arguably better on the original ABKCO CD than the SACD. And there are some unique things on the original More Hot Rocks.

In some cases the old ABKCO CDs were superior to the London CDs, but the SACDs are superior to both. Let It Bleed and Ya-Ya's come to mind, as well as those two Flowers tracks.

vudicus likes this.
  18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I didn't like the mangled n/r into of "Gimme Shelter" on the SACD of "Let It Bleed". It always just sounded wrong to me.
    The Ya'-Ya's SACD is great however.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, this thread has encouraged me to rip the London CD and try to speed-correct it in Audacity some time when I have a few hours. If that's even possible.

vudicus likes this.
  20. MHP

The stereo tracks on 12X5 and Now!, plus Satanic, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Ya-Ya's and 95% of The Singles Collection, smokes any previously release that appeared before them. And yes, also the original vinyl lp's.

vudicus likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, the GS intro is a good candidate for splicing on.

The stereo tracks on the original ABKCO Now! are arguably superior to the SACD. And the original ABKCO Ya-Ya's is quite good; the SACD hardly smokes it.

vudicus likes this.
  22. MHP

Once again, please accept different opinions here. No one here has the key to the holy truth.
    It's my personal opinion and no matter how much people here appreciate someone's words a "facts", I still thinks these SACD's are superior. Same for 90% of the new mono box.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. Just be sure to get the 2nd pressing as the first has the initial guitar riff of "Stray Cat Blues" missing.

Larry Geller and vudicus like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That door swings both ways.

25. MHP

True. Be aware of that next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.