Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome vinyl or cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btltez, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btltez

btltez Forum Resident Thread Starter

can't wait to hear the whole record but wondering if you guys think the vinyl will be any better than the cd on this one? How was it recorded? Have not seen much on it. Want the vinyl but figure if it was recorded all digital might as well just get the nice cd box set. Thanks.

DK Pete and Sean like this.
  2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I assume the only difference between the regular CD and the box set is the SHM layer?

3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Bought the SHM CD box and the vinyl.

4. btltez

where do you get the shm cd?

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

What is an SHM layer. I know of a material process for manufacturing CD that uses SHM but assume you are not referring to some sort of audio codec such as SACD (DSD) and only the material and process of manufacture.

7. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

To my experience, it's marketing (if the mastering is not different to the regular edition).
    Others might have different ears :)

Linto and supermd like this.
  8. btltez

ok newbie question but is the SHM really better? Like, BIG DIFF? or what? Thanks for the links checking out CDJAPAN right now lots of money but if worth it will do it. THANKS

9. mwheelerk

It is a manufacturing process not an audio process. Each SHM-CD is entirely reliant upon the mastering on which it is based. There is no assurance based on the SHM manufacturing process itself that it will be any better.

andrewskyDE and btltez like this.
  10. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

I reckon it's probably not worth buying the LP just for the quality of the cover.

No point in decorating the walls of your pad with that one.

Looks like the golden age of record cover design is over.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  11. btltez

in your opinion. in my opinion, I really like it.

Robbieboy, stef1205, Erik B. and 10 others like this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Amazon UK.

btltez likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

14. mwheelerk

Wow, I had not looked at that cover before. In years past I might have tried an album because the cover was "cool". I have never decided to NOT buy an album because of a cover until now, maybe. :help:

Jimmy B. and mrjinks like this.
  15. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

I'm sorry,I meant that the cover wouldn't be a reason for buying the album,not that it would be a reason for not buying it.

Bingo Bongo, Rojo and btltez like this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Hoping to pick up the CD on Friday. I know the mastering will be absolute %$#@. I listened to the tracks they posted to their YouTube channel and they were compressed and goosed like nothing I've ever heard. Is the LP version single or double? IIRC it's a short album, but in order to sound even halfway acceptable, LPs need to have less than 5 minutes of music on each side... :rolleyes: (end joke)

If the OP's question is whether or not the record will sound better than the CD, yes, there is no doubt in my mind. I don't think it's physically possible to cut a record with the bloated bass and shrill, congested treble that the videos they've posted so far featured (and I'm expecting the CD to sound worse!). The Stones on CD have been compressed to hell for years. I have only ever gotten rid of eight CDs because the mastering was so bad, and six of them were the 2009 Rolling Stones remasters (for reference, the other two were the 2011 Nirvana Nevermind remaster and the original Warner Bros Black Sabbath Volume 4). Just judging from the videos they posted back in October or whenever it was, this is not going to be a headphones album, and I really hope my neighbors like blues, because no matter what volume I set it at, it will be heard.

17. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Probably order the CD from amazon. If it keeps on getting played when the hype has died down maybe vinyl..

18. God no, there are amazing LP covers still coming out. This is just not one of them. Lazy in fact.

RMB77, LeeGriffin, BryanA-HTX and 4 others like this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

CD.

Shockingly bad cover, though...

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's a double, for a 43 minute album, for absolutely no reason other than jacking up the price. I'll be passing on the vinyl and just streaming it, I guess, which bums me out.

Raving Russell and NaturalD like this.
  21. go for hirez files

jmrife likes this.
  22. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Wondering if it was recorded to imitate an old Blues album?

Crossfire#3 likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

To me CD is hi-rez enough as long as the audio is not compressed as hell like back in the height days of the loudness war.
    My ears can't hear differences between 16 or 24 bit audio anyway...

By the way, I'm not sure which format I'd prefer for this album. It depends of what I see first in the store. Might go for the vinyl though.

24. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Just heard the whole shebang all the way through once. It's killer! Guitars are suitably ragged and rough! Song selection is impeccable--can't get enough Little Walter! Charlie Watts can't be beat. Clapton's cameos are nice.

But this is Jagger's disc. His harp playing cant touch Walter but I'd rather listen to him than any of the endless army of copycat blues harp guys (first on the reject list--that Popper guy). And his vocals are so insistent and leathery that on Hate to See You Go, you can hear him wheeze. Yeah, that's old age, but it's the badge of authenticity.

Can't wait for volume 2.

bobc, FJFP, ruben lopez and 15 others like this.
  25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

This is being released as a double LP?
    Wow . . .

That is ridiculous, and obviously just an excuse to charge more money for it.

This album is about a minute longer than the "Let it Bleed" LP, and about 3 minutes SHORTER than "Sticky Fingers".

Enjoy those 10 minute album sides, vinyl lovers. I'll be picking up the CD for about $10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.