Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome vinyl or cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btltez, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That would be great. And with a different better producer.

Rickchick likes this.
  2. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

They could do a version of "Kumbaya".

andrewskyDE and Steel Horse like this.
  3. Having listened to this again, as I said before, it is overdriven and compressed, but I think they did that for effect. I would have skipped that.

But..... quit complaining. I would have done the sound much better and some better production, but.....

This is the album people have asked The Stones, Who, Clapton, etc. to make for 30 years and it is here. It really is great music. What a gem.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I haven't listened to it since it came out (I think it may be their worst album and it sounds like bleh) and I don't have the CD, but FWIW my memory is that I strongly suspected it was essentially just a flat transfer of the CD on vinyl. In 2005 there was rarely a thought of doing a separate mastering for vinyl.

EDIT: Looks like I may be wrong. A quick look at the DR database seems to indicate a separate, appreciably less compressed mastering for the vinyl. If so, good god, how bad must the CD sound?

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Great video.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Too bad the new record doesn't sound this good.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Still like the new record, but good point though.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

But what's up with the jogging shoes? Lol

9. I agree; although its annoying that after about nine oclock on the volume dial its simply "too loud". Great music but why o why would a band like the stones with all their knowledge and experience allow such a poor production to be released. Shame

ffracer likes this.
  10. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Because it's the internet. And people, even here, do not really care about music.

Or maybe they do care about music, they just care more about complaining about it. In our modern age everybody seems to think that every little aspect of life should be tailormade to fit their preferences and they are not too shy to let you know exactly how either.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  11. Harsh words my friend!! I just see it as a matter of taste and enjoyment.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  12. BurtThomasWard

Well, I hadn't had my coffee yet. Maybe a bit on the harsh side, but I remember when one used to be excited about a new album. Now the discussions are more about what aspects of the release that do not please myself personally. I do not claim to be a saint mysaelf and is as guilty as other people in doing this.

But I am really trying to pose a question here: why do we care more about these details now than before? How is it that no more than ten years ago if the Stones had released this, we would say 'wow, they play with a real passion again' or 'man, this truly is the best record thay have put out in a long time' and similar things. But now it is more about the ugliness of the cover (all Stones albums have ugly covers, it's the Stones, fellas), the horrible mixes (remember Exile? That was considered unlistenable by some because it didn't sound right) or their choice of shoewear. So why have we come to this: is it because the internet has spoilt us all rotten? I think so, to some extent.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  13. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

I have only listened to the c.d. three times. I very much doubt I will spin it again. To me it is just a loud mess. No peaks or troughs, no loud or quiet, no variance. Just a wall of unvarying noise. Probably was a deliberate decision, just doesn't agree with me. I appreciate that they were after a "ballsy, raw" sound but....
    Much prefer listening to Dave and Phil Alvin's "Common Ground." And yes, I know they approached it in a different way to the Stones. More of a "country" feel but it doesn't make my ears bleed.

14. I really take your point but i also think as we grow older our sound systems are possibly more revealing, which in turn means we are more aware of production etc. Spruce makes a good point. Sadly he may never listen to the album again inspite of it being good music. Sad

15. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

People do care about the music, it's precisely because of that reason why they complain. When I think back to how I used to listen to music in my teens, I was blissfully unaware of just how bad it sounded. Portable record player with a totally knackered needle that I kept in place with coins on top. Thankfully, things, and I, have moved on. I have no doubt that the Stones are fully aware of how this sounds on c.d. Surely by now they must know their way round a recording studio and all the mastering and mixing techniques. Just a poor decision on their part, in my humble opinion. Even on my relatively modest, price wise, set up it just sounds bad.

16. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

You all are free to love...hate...like ...dislike...debate ...lambast all you want. That's what free expression is all about and I respect any opinion here....with the option to disagree , of course.

But for me, these core members who are all now well into their 70's (with Ronnie about to join the ranks) have put out an album that not only resonates with incredible feel, groove, empathy for it's subject matter, and an obvious , long standing love for the blues music that came before them and inspired them as mere lads, but also kicks total a** over any, pouting , preening, twerking, auto-tuned, make sure my lip sync track doesn't malfunction or I will be a truly pathetic mess on stage created TRYPE that is currently masquerading as musical artistry in this 17th year of the new millennium.

In my opinion...;)

17. Remurmur

Oh, and mark me down as CD all the way. I love vinyl, I appreciate vinyl, but I can't afford buying a new album for $40.00 bucks that I can get on CD for $11.99.
    I have my impending retirement to think of ....:)

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

:kilroy:
    Have cd but will wait till vinyl goes way south in the price dept.

19. Remurmur

I might just do the same if that happens ....:)

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

:D
    Definitely hope so.

21. BurtThomasWard

As you say: different ways. Very different, I might add. Even when the Alvins were at their most rocking (the Blasters) their approach wasn't very similar to what the Stones have been up to at any given point of their career. It is like comparing two things that from a distance might look the same but on closer inspection turns out to be made from entirely different material.

I respect your opinion and even more you or any others right to have one. But I do not agree with what you write here, simply because it does not seem that you get the point I was trying to make. People can complain or dislike anything they want to and that is fine. What I do not find constructive and was indeed trying to point out was all the negative BS about ugly covers and other entirely superficial matters which I do not think has anything to do with a discussion on music. But do you really feel that people feel as deeply about the music now as earlier? Then you are surrounded by a better type of person than I am used to be.

It all seems to boil down to that person a doesn't like the cover and don't want to buy the album because of that and person b feels that the cd is too compressed and the mix for the vinyl is superior. Person c agrees but doesn't like the quality modern vinyl so he will instead download the thing for free and reset the levels to his liking before listening to it on his iPhone 7. To me all of this sounds like exactly what I was pointing out earlier: complaining for the sake of it. Otherwise known as whining. And it is all about the ego of the person not being stroked. "They didn't think of me and my needs when they made it so I will not buy it or enjoy it but I sure will either download it for free and talk about every aspect of what is wrong the darn thing".

And that focus, my friend, doesn't seem to be on the music. That is the state of the world in 2017. I want. Me first. Gimme gimme. Very superficial and egocentrical way of looking at things IMO.

22. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

I respect your opinion too, my friend. I may also add that you don't get my, and others, points on this thread that have criticised the product. Musical tastes and opinions are a very personal thing. Each to their own. In answer to your question...I feel just as deeply about music as I ever did and so do my close acquaintances. Like I said, that's the reason why we do post our opinions. I don't need my "ego stroked" nor do I consider myself to be "whining." Simply stating a point of view. Hope you carry on enjoying "Blue and Lonesome." Just wish I could do the same.

23. chuckieh

chuckieh Forum Resident

Hey people, it's rock and roll. Some of the greatest r'n'r ever made was recorded like crap. Sadly, plenty of people who loved those poorly recorded classics apparently couldn't be bothered if they were released now because of the myriad fidelity issues. It's a real shame. Do you really still love music as much as you once did if that is the case or are you more in love with the how than the product Itself?

Like most folks on this forum, I would rather everything was recorded with lower compression, less loudness etc. But if I love the music, I live with the final product.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:
    Well put!

25. BurtThomasWard

Yup. And I feel the same way. And in no way was this statement meant to imply you or your opinions. For what it's worth.

Have a good one, sir.

Spruce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.