Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973 - What's the story ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've been on a huge Stones kick recently and have been asking many questions as of late, as you know, and I'd like to thank you and others for your time and expertise. THANK YOU!

Is there still a rights dispute with ABCKO for such a release? They have released many vault concerts with ABCKO material on them in the past few years (practically all concerts have them!).

Edit: I see I got my answer.

Also, would this have really made it a double LP as mentioned by PageLesPaul above? I was thinking of something longer. This seems to be as long as Ya-Ya's, which was one LP.

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

ABKCO is not owned by Universal, it is still owned by the Klein family.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They also wanted to add Stevie Wonder's set at one point as well.

Spadeygrove and supermd like this.
  4. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Okay. So why do both ABKCO and Universal's names co-exist on the Mono Box? Did RSR themselves actually have input with it? The band's official site and social medias didn't promote the box at all, IIRC.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The same 7 year problem with Klein/Abkco also prevented the release of some of the live in Europe 1973 material as well.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Universal is handling production and distribution. The Stones are now signed to Universal for the post-Sticky FIngers material, so it just makes sense for ABKCO to work with them on projects from the Decca years.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

That explains it. Thanks. As I said, I don't remember the band's official site or social media outlets promoting it at all.

8. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanations everyone.

John Fell and supermd like this.
  9. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

It was announced as a double LP set back in the day by magazines like Creem, etc.

Here is the artwork. Front and rear. You can see under Rolling Stones that it states "Rolling Stones available only on Rolling Stones Records." Would love to see it officially released with this artwork.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Spadeygrove, mestreech, bonus and 3 others like this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It is also worth remembering that Decca too is now part of Universal.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Excellent. Thank you! The artwork looks great!

bonus likes this.
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

If that's the case, you seriously need to check out this thread. One of the very best and informative Album-By-Album threads on the board IMO, and features a table of contents in the first post to help you jump to specific albums and topics.

The Rolling Stones Album-by-Album Thread (it's about damn time)

Mark

ohnothimagen, Jonboy and supermd like this.
  13. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Have you tried ripping the audio from the blu ray?

14. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Amen to that. The best thread ever on this forum IMHO.

15. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Hi
    Could somebody please post artwork again, as for it will not show the image just blank,
    thanks

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

17. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

The originally proposed 1972 tour live album was long, long ago famously bootlegged as "Philadelphia Special", and is found on youtube these days.

Rolling Stone magazine called "Philadelphia Special" one of 5 essential bootlegs of the Stones...and interestingly, when you click on their (old) link to youtube of the recording, it serves up a notice that "This video contains content from UMG, which has blocked it on copyright grounds".

5 Essential Rolling Stones Bootlegs

So apparently, UMG has cared enough to block it on youtube at least once, even if they haven't caught up with it at another youtube link. It gives me some measure of hope that perhaps it might be officially issued at some point in the future, it is indeed very hot stuff.

I have wondered if a possible additional reason it never saw the official light of day was in part due to contractual issues with Stevie Wonder.

Spadeygrove and stewedandkeefed like this.
  18. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I have never heard of any contractual issues with Stevie Wonder through the years. It was always Allen Klein. I wish they would revisit releasing this but it seems once they shelved the project they never reconsidered.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They might have had to get the Stevie Wonder set cleared with Motown to release it.

20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I don't want to stir the pot, but back in the 70s wasn't Mr. Jagger spotted with test pressings or some such. I swear I read this someplace. Or am I confusing this with the expanded Ya-Yas?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What's up with Mick's gruff voice on this release? Lots of grunting between songs.

22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I know what you're talking about but I'm remembering it as test pressings of the unreleased '72 live album.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This might be useful if you haven't seen it.

Rolling Stones Official 1972 Live

mdm08033, JuanTCB, supermd and 2 others like this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Drugs and groupies, probably! :)

25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You are right.
    After the unprofessional conduct of his band, and himself, not caring about being on time etc.....during the tour, he actually demand ed money's from the Stones to have him on the album.
    Said album was already mastered with Stevies band on side four, Jagger was so pissed that he shelved the album. And never spoke about it again.
    Stevie, like Billy Preston and Buddy Miles had huge egoes and couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that they needed to show some professional respect to their hosts.
    The rest is history.....
    Beave

Mosthaf and signothetimes53 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.