Rolling Stones Brussels Affair '73 box sets

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jack, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Makes me wonder if it is possible that some of these were returns? Is everything sealed?

If people buy from flippers I assume they are SOL with returning the set, unless they get the $150 receipt?

2. The vinyl in mine was sealed, but it is possible to reseal items.

eelkiller likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

"Scheduled" delivery now on or before Monday via FedEx Smartpost. Was hoping for the weekend, but whatever. Just hope the vinyl is in good shape.

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I cleaned mine as well, and even switched cartridges, going from a line contact stylus to an elliptical, neither helped change anything. In fact the distortion gets so bad on the latter half of Side One it makes the first two tracks sound almost like just a so so boot recording. My set is now boxed up, sealed and ready to ship back.

5. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

That's my hope also.

6. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Feeling fortunate in the sense that after playing everything through, no distortion on any sides for me. Will say however Side 1 and Side 4 have marks on vinyl. All 4 sides have my stylus(AT-440mla) skating and discs have slight warps. Glad to have a good tracking cartridge. Thankfully, these things are not audible, but geez, wish I could buy new vinyl these days without imperfections. Honestly I bought this with thoughts of reselling because I could really use some cash right now. My intention was to let it go factory sealed, but after reading remarks about issues with the vinyl, I felt I needed to crack the seal to play grade. I consider myself to be a very casual fan of the stones but now after playing it and being so impressed with this performance, I can't let it go:help:

riverrat likes this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Now changed back to today by end of day.

God I hate people that have nothing better to contribute to an active music thread then when their release shipped, and when it's going to arrive. Such silliness.

8. just make sure you check those records

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Oh no I'm not opening the box. This is my retirement...

Ha! Of course I'll be checking the records. The primary reason I caved in and bought the set. I don't get pissed off anymore at bad records(I also hardly ever buy "new" records anymore either), and I have a pretty high threshold when it comes to noise on records. I expect it. That said, if it's unplayable it will be a drag.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Floyd, you have it backwards. The original 'Stones Archive' versions, all three, the Art/The Platinum/The Collectors did NOT come with Cd's of the show, just the vinyl.
    These boxes DO have both the vinyl AND the 2 CD's of the show.
    the beave

floyd likes this.
  11. The Beave

Yes, they are inside the gatefold!
    Happy Listening.
    Oh and btw, the Vinyl is NOT brickwalled like the CD, it IS a different MASTERING and has much more dynamic range than the cd's do. You can tell easily by the guitars being more 'up front' on the cd's, which is a tell tale sign of heavy compression, whereas on the vinyl their where they should be in the mix.
    the beave

floyd likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Beave I'm assuming you had no issues with your vinyl?

13. The Beave

I'll be opening it up in 3 hours. We have the Grandkids here and my Wife's 'Aunt' is here so it's been WW3 here. I'm going out to get her a bottle of wine and I'm gonna get her drunk. Then I'll pop the vinyl on. But i'm in real time here so I will post as soon as the needle hits the non fill.....er groove.
    the beave

and remember guys, for those who missed out there's a guy on ebay right now, free shipping and he only wants $250 for it, which is still pretty danged reasonable.
    the beave again

14. serge

serge Forum Resident

strange how in modern society flipping is just accepted... we have reality shows about it whether its a house or stuff in a flea market.. so many people do it for concert tickets (it used to be looked down on and called "scalping")..and now people buy Rolling Stones sets for the express purpose of making a quick buck and openly confess it...

15. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Reduced pricing for...distorted, warped vinyl and brickwalled CDs....Who would want this mess?!!!

Glad I didn't bite. I almost did. Sorry for those that bought it and are unsatisfied.:( My heart goes out to you.:love: Now we know how Jagger really felt back in 1965.

And I express this opinion as one who's read the recent posts on this thread.

BTW, I say this even though I do believe the '73 concerts in Brussels to represent some of the best live playing by The Stones.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    RPhelps likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Perhaps we should wait to see if these problems exist for everybody, or just a few unlucky souls?

17. The Beave

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I had the money I would have bought 10 of them! :yikes:

But in reality let's look at the guy who's selling his for $250 on eBay.
    The eBay fee with the Paypal fee is going to be around 10%. So right off the bat the guy pays PP and eBay $25, which drops the box down to $225.
    Now he's offering free shipping which is going to be around $23 for USPS Parcel Select. Down to $203.
    If he bought the $150 box he paid around $16 shipping, making his box's total cost $166. Ok, 203 minus 166 equals..........a whopping $37. I don't think, in this case, we're talking about a greedy guy. That's an awful lot of trouble to make just $37. And I do eBay so I know how much it costs. I sold a collectable Whitesnake double LP in mint shape for $19.99 two weeks ago. The guy complained that it was 'used' and had all sorts of ring wear on the cover (which it didn't) creased cover and so on and demanded a $10 refund or he would 'open up a case' with eBay. I gave him the $10. So after my fees for eBay and Paypal and the $7 cost of the original album I made........
    NOTHING.
    So, there you go. Things aren't always what they seem.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    the beave

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow.

Well, sorry to disappoint anyone who who didn't take advantage of this incredible offer, but just got mine, put side one on the table, turned up the volume, and it's PERFECT!! As quiet as it could be, and thats with no cleaning other than the trusty Discwasher. Looks like there is a slight warp, but nothing that is affecting play at all.

The sound on the vinyl trumps any boot/download that I have of this, and they are many. I have never heard it sound so great, so in your face. I'm stunned.

The book is stunning too.

Sorry for anybody that has a problem with any of the contents, but hopefully it will be a flaw that doesn't affect many.

stinsojd, serge and eelkiller like this.
  19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Glad to hear you got a good one, mine is now on it's way back to Bravado for a refund. For anyone else needing to send their's back the vendor provided return shipping although Priority Mail doesn't include tracking, you need to buy that yourself.

20. The Beave

Ok, just put LP 1 on and it sounds F'ing Great! Not as much separation as the cd but the sound stage is solid-good bottom end, Guitars mixed like Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
    Jaggers vocals up front but not too much. A much better Sound overall compared to the CD's, although at a loud party the CD's would be my go to version.
    Slightly warped but not pressed off center on side one.
    Finally Finally got this on Vinyl!!!!!!!
    Merry Day after Christmas Bay Bee!!
    Don't care about the book or the other stuff, got the Vinyl on the Classic Yellow Rolling Stones Label.
    It's just a Kiss away as I'm typing this!!!!!!!!!!
    the beave

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

As others have indicated, the vinyl is mastered beautifully. I'm listening at a very moderate level(probably still too loud for WAF) and it's a terrific listen. I haven't listened to the cd's, but the lp's better my downloads, which I found quite excellent in their own right. The headroom on these is great. It will be fun to turn them up when I have the opportunity.

22. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

As that guy who listed his for $250 on eBay (just sold a few hours ago), I can honestly say that I wasn't trying to make a buck. I could have returned the unopened box, but thought that selling it to another fan would be a faster way of getting it to someone who would appreciate it. I wasn't trying to make money, just recoup my costs for the set, shipping to me, and then shipping it to the buyer.

Now the person selling theirs for $450...

eelkiller likes this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I am wondering what the buyers recourse is if it is defective which is a possibility by the reports on the vinyl here.

Congrats on the sale.

24. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

No, I figured a buyer would rather have a sealed box than me playing the records. But I will message him and ask if he'd rather me check. If it is defective, and he doesn't want it, I will cancel the sale. Only seems fair.

eelkiller likes this.
  25. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Hi,

do you have a link as I can't find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.