Rolling Stones "Clearly Classic" vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlienRendel, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member Thread Starter

As per Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rolling-stones-to-reissue-three-albums-on-clear-vinyl-20130515

"As the Rolling Stones roll on with their "50 and Counting" tour, fans will get a chance to own three of the band's classic albums on clear vinyl later this month. ABKCO is readying remastered versions of 1968's Beggars Banquet, 1969's Let It Bleed and the 1971 double-LP hits collection Hot Rocks 1964–1971 – all on 180-gram clear vinyl.

The reissues – the first in a planned ABKCO series called "The Rolling Stones Clearly Classic" – showcase the artistic heights the band reached in the late Sixties and early Seventies. Beggars Banquet, featuring classics like "Street Fighting Man" and "Sympathy for the Devil," was the Stones' last full album with founding guitarist Brian Jones; the following year, Let It Bleed introduced his successor, Mick Taylor, along with tunes including "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

The Rolling Stones' "50 and Counting" tour continues tonight at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California."

DK Pete likes this.
  2. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

One final milk of the cow. Poor Elsie's udders are probably dried and cracking by now.

3. AlienRendel

4. AlienRendel

Somehow I doubt it is the "final" milking.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I guess the ABKCO box is out of print now, so this isn't the worst idea. If they use the same mastering as those, these will sound great.

Wish they'd release the 90's Stones albums individually, those are the only ones I'm missing.

sennj likes this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It is out of print, and for those who couldn't pop for it when it was released, buying the albums individually is cheaper, and you can cherry pick your faves. Nothing wrong with this at all.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I still see the 2003 DSD vinyl pop up new occasionally.

Keeping classic albums available in great-sounding versions isn't a cash-grab to me. Compilations, on the other hand...

mikedifr0923, Shak Cohen and stef1205 like this.
  8. AlienRendel

I agree that the ABCKO Stones albums should be kept in print. I hope they are using the DSD masterings as everyone seemed to like them. Maybe because it was the first Stones album I had, but I think Hot Rocks qualifies as an essential album to keep in print, too.

alchemy and Preston like this.
  9. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

All I own by the Stones on vinyl is BRIDGES so I will be picking up a few of these.

10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

In the immortal words of Rock Stamberg..."I'm in!"

MRamble, Sean and forthlin like this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As long as I can continue to buy Rolling Stones compilations bundled with vodka snifters, I am good.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Love those ABCKO remastered Stones albums. I will be all over a Hot Rocks double album.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I am, too ... and I ordered the vodka. I just had to.

JoeRockhead, tkl7 and forthlin like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

15. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

The ABKCO reissues are still easily found... why not reissue Voodoo Lounge outside of the costly box set. I'd like to own that on vinyl but I'm not spending $400 for all the albums from Sticky Fingers onward especially since I already own pretty much every other Stones album I want on wax.

Pendulous Threads likes this.
  16. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Classic

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Correction: I just found a copy of Flowers, Undercover and a Harlem Shuffle 12" Single in a box of used. LOL

Bananas&blow likes this.
  18. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Are you sure that's not mine? ;)

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Never know...... Hahaha

20. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Yeah these albums are still in print and widely available, and quite cheap too! Maybe they could make sure the back covers are printed without the UPC code and the other logos, just as they were first issued?

21. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

As a casual Stones fan, I'll probably be picking these up. From what I've read, the DSD masters were pretty outstanding, yes? Do we know if these were pressed from those masters?

22. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I read somewhere (maybe a Stones site?) that these new clear vinyl releases ARE pressed from the 2003 DSD masters but I have no other independent verification of this.

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

BEGGARS BANQUET is supposed to arrive here today (the other two have been postponed until May 31 according to Amazon). I'll report back ...

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

I agree, the upc needs to remain on the plastic or at least be on paper/card that can be removed after taking the shrinkwrap off.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon are available separately in Europe though not on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.