Rolling Stones "Clearly Classic" vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlienRendel, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Go back a little bit in the thread. I posted a couple of links that have the list of releases in that series.

2. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yep, I also have the German Teldec version of Around and Around in mono, it's pretty good. The mono French Decca versions though are better sounding, I think they got better tapes. There are a few versions, the original from 1964, then the L'Age d'Or series, which I think is even better. Then a later reissue, also mono.

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll stand corrected once again, again my age & memory are showing. So yes the WG London CD of 12X 5 is all mono. IIRC the first stereo Stones I heard some 30 years ago was the WG London 820 141-2 CD of Hot Rock's I. (It didn't contain any tracks from 12X5) The first time these tracks were Stereo was the 2002 SACD of 12X5. I'll bet the odd Stereo EP of 5X5 is a great listen.

I always used Luke's page as a reference point for collecting CD's in later years.

http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

12x5

Tracks: 1) "Around and Around"* 2) "Confessin' the Blues"* 3) "Empty Heart"* 4)
    "Time is On My Side" 5) "Good Times, Bad Times" 6) "It's All Over Now" 7) "2120
    South Michigan Avenue"* [this track shows up here in its long version. See the main
    entry for a note on this] 8) "Under the Boardwalk" 9) "Congradulations" [This track's title
    was misspelled on the original LP; for whatever reason, ABKCO kept the misspelling for
    their remaster, although the CD-Text on the disc references it correctly. The London discs
    and old ABKCO spell the track's title correctly] 10) "Grown Up Wrong" 11) "If You
    Need Me"* 12) "Susie Q"

*: Denotes Stereo

No true alternate versions are available on CD

Definitive Version: ABKCO remaster

The current ABKCO remaster represents an absolutely massive upgrade. 12x5 is
    mostly comprised of tracks from the UK EP 5x5, which consisted of songs recorded by
    the Stones at Chess Studios in Chicago. It is a vast understatement to note that the quality
    of the Chess recordings was higher than that of the Stones' contemporary UK recordings,
    as the Stones were finally dealing with a studio that could handle them.

Whereas the 5x5 EP was initially only a mono release, it was accidentally re-
    issued in stereo (with mono labels!) in the eighties [Note: See Luke's website for more
    information on this]. Thus, while all previous versions (ABKCO and London) of this CD
    were mono-only (and, frankly, sound pretty similar, with the London version having
    perhaps a slight edge), the remaster suddenly includes all of those Chess tracks in stereo,
    marking the first time most of them have been legitimately available on CD. The tracks in
    question are: "Around and Around", "If You Need Me", "Empty Heart", "2120 Michigan
    Avenue," "It's All Over Now" (the only track to be released in stereo on disc before, but
    NOT on previous versions of 12x5), and "Confessin' the Blues." "2120 South Michigan
    Avenue" is a special treat, as a) this is the "long version" which has never been on CD
    before, and b) it's in stereo, and the long version has never been in stereo ANYWHERE
    before. Thus, a first on both fronts. Also note that It's All Over Now was not from 5x5.
    Unfortunately, "Confessin' the Blues" has a slight bit of tape-drag at the
    beginning, but it's almost unnoticeable.

There's pretty much no contest here, then. While the shared mono tracks on the
    old ABKCO, the old London, and current remaster do sound somewhat similar, the
    upgraded stereo tracks breathe a whole new dimension into this album. The new ABKCO
    is definitely the best bet.

Again it is too bad the stereo version didn't make the pressing for this latest version. Sorry for taking the Clearly Classic Vinyl thread a bit off track.

4. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member Thread Starter

My first exposure to the 5x5 recordings was a 7" UK ep that my brother bought sometime in the mid 80's. Not 100% positive, but I think it was the stereo versions, as stated above. Wish I had it now.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

In my experience, Luke is correct about 99% of the time. People here would always be wise to heed what he writes.

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Anyone else notice the "through the past..." die-cut is quite off compared to the original? i wouldn't have even caught it had i not tried to put it in a poly sleeve.

MHP likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Bit of a non-sequitur here, but I just listened to the original 2004 Abcko DSD vinyl of Let It Bleed last night and, man, is that a nice sounding vinyl LP.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yeah, I ended up keeping it in the original perforated poly sleeve, but once you tear it, part of the top of the cover is left exposed and it is not as form fitting as I would like. This has always been one of my favorite covers, but I was browsing the used store yesterday and hadn't seen a US original in years, and I was shocked at how lousy the print quality on the original was compared to this re-issue. The original looks like a scan of a scan...

Kubricker likes this.
  9. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I have Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and 12x5 and all sound great. I really hope they do the s/t debut and No.2

Davidmk5 likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I noticed that the sleeve for the new vinyl issue is larger than the original when I filed it away next to the original.

11. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

So would this Get Yer Ya Ya's Out on clear vinyl be different sonically from LP 1 in the super deluxe box set?

12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I just picked up Let It Bleed today and am listening now. Very nice.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

So is the consensus that the Abkco 2003 and the new clear are great and the deluxe Exile and Some Girls are not so great?

14. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

So I picked up 12x5 and Hot Rocks and they sound fantastic! I'm Hoping ABKCO is reissuing the U.S LPs not available on the 2010 box "Rolling Stones Now" "December's Children" U.S "Out Of Our Heads" "Aftermath" "Between The Buttons" Or "Flowers" (I've held on the 1986 virgin vinyl issues of the above titles IMO they sound pretty good). I grabbed most of the U.K reissues a couple of years ago from Amazon U.K the black vinyl versions. So I'm going to pass on BB and LIB and Ya Yas. Has anyone heard when the next batch are going to be released and what titles they will be?

15. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Yes, I believe that is the consensus.

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

17. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

18. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

I wonder if they're the same album. I have an Amazon gift card I'm looking over . Hehe.

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Is there any word yet about Clearly Classic reissues for this year? If memory serves, they've released batches of three the past two Aprils.

20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ok, My friend Keef and I just re visited this 3 days ago and it gets more and more interesting, but here is just another tid bit:

I have 3 'EU' DSD Vinyl Imports of Hot Rocks that are shrink wrapped. They have the square 'DSD' hype sticker in the upper left of the LP jacket. They are also on Black Vinyl and they are DMM Pressings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Which I Like a lot. DMM's rock and I suspect these were pressed at GZ but haven't really gone through the deadwax yet.
    more later
    the beave

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have the Clearly Classics from this year of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Hot Rocks. The vinyl is flatQuiet and sounds great. Clear? Not quite. There are interesting clouds and black smears on mine which have no consequence on sound but look kind of cool. If these came out on vinyl like this back when I was a kid I can't imagine how much bigger they may have been. Better and way more interesting than anything back then when they still sold like hot cakes. I'd buy a couple. You'll like these if you like the Stones.

Kubricker likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So what are all the titles available on this?

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Actually, those titles are from two years ago. Last year was 12x5, Through The Past, Darkly: Big Hits Vol 2 and Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out. Both waves came out in the Spring. So far, nothing has been announced for this year.

Chris Haley likes this.
  24. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I have read that the new clear vinyl version of lib is better than the original London. I have a pretty minty copy of the original lib and it is pretty quiet and sounds fantastic. What is the difference between the London and the Decca? In classical recordings there is no difference except the perception that the Decca is better. Unless I just have a great copy. Still has the original shrink with price $4.57. Lol

25. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Wait so.... the DSD remastered vinyl pressed in the EU is the same master as the Clearly Classic pressed at RTI here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.