Rolling Stones / Death In Vegas - Aladdin's Story?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JJ75, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you have ever heard the album The Contino Sessions by Death in Vegas, there is a track on it (Track 7) which is an almost note for note copy of the currently unreleased Rolling Stones track 'Aladdin Story', well at least I have always believed it to be the Rolling Stones.

It always confused me that the Stones have never argued that it was pinched from them, even though they are completely uncredited by Death In Vegas for the music. This is even more surprising given that they did make a fuss about The Verve using the music from Andrew Oldhams version of 'The Last Time', which doesn't even really sound much like their song anyway.

Does this throw into doubt that Aladdin Story is actually by Rolling Stones, or do you think they ignored it due to lack of publishing right, or that fact the it is unreleased?...or other?

BTW I have no intention of discussing bootlegs here, just have always been curious as to how Death In Vegas got away with such a blatant copy.

JJ

2. JJ75

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

How did the Rolling Stones feel about you appropriating ‘Aladdin’s Story’ off one of their 70s bootlegs?

I shouldn’t think they were that fussed actually. I think if they were we would’ve heard from their legal department by now. We actually in touch with their publishers and they said ‘we know it’s a song by the Stones but it’s never been declared as a song so we don’t own the publishing so you can do whatever you like’. So we did. The opening guitar riff sounds like it could be the opening to ‘Paint it, Black’ as well.

So that was the reason for the ‘unknown’ credit rather than Jagger/Richards?

Yes, that’s right. Even though we know (laughs).

They don't credit Kraftwerk on Satan's Circus either!

4. JJ75

Thanks!

So it has been spoken of....well I think they should have out of respect for the musicians that they so obviously copied...suppose, they at least didn't exacly claim it as their own, but still there should have been some acknowlegement!

JJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.