Rolling Stones: From The Vault LA Forum 1975

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

You preach it brother, I'll turn the pages. Life is good! We got all we need. :cheers:

Jack likes this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Clanceman you are a first class Rolling Stones fan and I did not mean to put them down. Just not one of my favorite performances. I'm more a Brian and Mick Taylor guy and I meant no disrespect to you because I know how much you love the Rolling Stones.

Clanceman and John Fell like this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Has the vinyl version been delayed? I can't find anyplace online that has it in stock now. Music Direct says available Dec. 9.

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I just finished watching the DVD, and I agree with the others who say that Jagger is a bit "off" on this night.
    Some of the vocals ("Street Fighting Man" immediately comes to mind) are downright terrible ...........
    And some of Billy Preston's synth sounds sound (to me) really inappropriate for the song.
    Thankfully, most of these outbursts are rather short.

Another thing that shocked me (but in a good way) was how long quite a few of the songs are.
    There must be a good 6 or 7 of them that go on for over 10 minutes, a couple well over that.
    And those are some of the tracks I like best, such as "Midnight Rambler", "Fingerprint File", etc.
    Oh, and watching them do "You Gotta Move" was a definite highlight for me.
    It's obvious that the "Love You Live" LP was heavily edited, after hearing this show.

Having said all that, I feel that Keith, Ronnie, Bill, & Charlie keep this show from being all that bad.
    There's some very good long jams. If only Mick could have cut down a little on those high pitched
    shreiks between songs, during songs .......... he must do it a hundred times throughout the duration of the show,
    and it does get annoying after awhile.

I have a feeling that they were searching for something new, but they didn't know just quite what, after the departure
    of Mick Taylor. I still find the addition of Billy Preston & percussionist Ollie Brown on this tour a bit strange.
    And where is Stu? He is credited in the liner notes as being present, but I didn't see him at all on the DVD.
    Admittedly, I wasn't glued to the TV the whole time, and was up and about the house several times, so maybe he was shown
    at a couple of points and I just missed it.

I am glad that the CD's are a different show, and I am hoping that the musical performance is a bit better than the one on this night.
    I really bought the Hampton & LA Forum sets primarily for the CD's (I just don't have the time to watch DVD's too much anymore)
    and consider the DVD's, for me, to just be a "bonus".

5. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Question: I bought the L.A. Friday mp3 (MPEG audio file - bit rate 320 kbps) a couple of years ago. I also bought the 2 CD/DVD set and imported it into iTunes as an AAC Audio File (bit rate 256 kbps).

Out of the two, which would have the better sound quality?

6. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

You know the love I have for ya man! I was just countering with my opinion.

Never will I disrespect you, and never have I, or will I view any of your posts or opinions as personal in any way.

You are real and direct. Much respect from the day I entered these forums.

John, Reb....they differ from me sometimes....even tk17, botley, C Richards, Dee, footlooseman, old soul...many others that I seem to agree on all....I still have these differing opinions re: Stones( except Jack, I agree with Jack 100%, lol) I think it's great. I know what you dig (even though I'll try to sway) and these forums need to hear what you say.

I wasn't a fan of certain artists when I joined here. These forums have opened me up to other artists and music.

I love the differing opinions. They cause me to express and reaffirm mine. There are people here that absolutely need to connect with those that "dig Mick Taylor but not Ron Wood so much." It's necessary.

Then, it's necessary for me to express my love and fanaticism from my perspective...to connect with those that need it, as well as get a couple "likes"....to affirm how I feel.

I never saw myself posting on a forum on the internet. I don't do much w Fbook or......any other website really. However, now I guess I'm a forum geek. Lol!

I've developed some great friendships here. I've learned a ton, and I'm loving "the music" more than ever. I've found that, as a music lover, I LOVE people that love music, like me......and you!

It's so cool to me to interact with all of you here. When there's someone new, and I post something that they "like," I dig that. They feel a connection.

I appreciate your post......but no offense was taken. Quite the opposite!

You're awesome bro....have a great night. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  7. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I love LA Friday. I'm probably in the minority here but I enjoy the "LA Friday" archive release just as much as "Brussels Affair". As far as concerts, they're apples and oranges but each has it's merits.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Jagger is not a "bit off" on this show-imo, that's the way he and the band was from this era. have a look- 1973 SFM. MT instead of Wood- same "substances" driving the performance:

streetlegal, OldSoul and misko like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Nice post Mike.:edthumbs:

10. street legal

street legal Senior Member

But that is a matter of opinion, is it not? My opinion is that Jagger's vocals leave much to be desired on this show,
    and I do not think I am alone in that respect. That is all I am saying. At times, it doesn't even sound like he is trying.
    I have heard many Stones shows from all different eras, and I am just saying that here he does not come anywhere near his usual
    standards .............. in my opinion.

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I surfed, and picked a random clip of SFM from 1976, not much difference -imo

Jack likes this.
  12. misko

misko Forum Resident

The fluidity of Taylor's playing is just beautiful.

John Fell likes this.
  13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Well, we wouldn't want the original punk rockers sounding like the Eagles now, would we? :p

streetlegal, OldSoul and Clanceman like this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hell froze over..? No thanks, I liked my Stones raw, ragged , rippin, drippin with attitude , swagger and a touch of sleaze.:):thumbsup::)

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I watched this today and really enjoyed it, mainly BECAUSE of the addition of Billy Preston and Ollie Brown, that added a different texture to the usual Stones sound. And Stu is on a few songs ( I think "Brown Sugar" is one IIRC)

cc-- likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

:righton:

reb and John Fell like this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

George, I have both vinyl sets on preorder with Amazon. They both are showing a delivery of Nov. 24th. There was a delay initially. The vinyl pckg for Hampton originally was to be delivered beginning of Nov. I think 75' was originally slated for 11/17.

My point being, they already adjusted, delayed, and rescheduled before. Everything looks on schedule for Mon.

Jack and George Blair like this.
  18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

OK thanks. I was hoping to get both together and have a Stones overload, but I'll take them any way I can get 'em. :)

Clanceman likes this.
  19. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

That would be post Bill Wyman. :(

20. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

The 75 shows have all that in spades for sure. Give me the raw, rough, ragged, rockin' 75 Stones over the slick corporate band they became in the 80's and 90's any day.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'll poke around. If I......or someone else here @Jack ? come up with something I'll/we'll PM or post here.

22. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Stu can be seen during a few songs, noteably at the beginning of "Happy" near Preston. Interestingly, Stu isn't onstage and isn't included during the band intros.

23. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Similar happened in Hampton with Bobby Keys. Odd.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Well, my guaranteed delivery hasn't changed for 75'.......but it sure will soon. I just went back to my order, while no change on del., you're right, another delay notice is moments away. Looks like Hampton only on Mon.

Pre-ordered
    Guaranteed delivery by: Monday, November 24, 2014 by 8pm
    Track Package

[​IMG]
    From the Vault: L.A. Forum

Rolling Stones
    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
    Release date: Tuesday, December 9, 2014
    Pre-order Price Guarantee

25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Love it! Great guitar mix.