Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup SHM-SACD Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shawn, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

This is not a bad-sounding SACD, but for a time, there was a needledrop of the Jpn vinyl that amply illustrated what a great mastering engineer can do to liven up such a dead studio recording.

I'd love to hear what Steve could do with this album...

David del Toro likes this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have this SHM SACD and I love it.

3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I've always liked the sonics of the UK LP pressing, but that LP was always a bit "distant." Even my US "MO" LP was always frustrating. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" was always a jumble.

Purchased the SHM-SACD from CD Japan since the Yen exchange rates have brought down the price of Japanese goods substantially as of late.

Excellent SACD with the legendary "mud" now gone. I can hear the separation and depth. Way better clarity than the Virgin CD. Sounded good on my vintage kit (Pioneer Elite SACD > Marantz 2238 > B&W 601s), but stunning on my newer kit (Marantz SACD>ModWright linestage>Krell>B&W 683s). Finally, the depth and detail I was looking for. Not perfect - the bass is just plain flabby on the opening track - but some real sonic surprises. "Angie" sounds brand new.

Man, I really love "Heartbreaker" and this disc nails the grit and decay.

If you dig this album, the SACD is perhaps the best version out there.

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Just got this in the mail today... VERY pumped to listen when I get a break from work in a couple of hours! :edthumbs:

5. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I'm in the Bay Area as well. May I ask where you ordered it from?

I love Goats Head Soup.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

7. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Quick question about the SHM-CD. I know the Platinum SHM-CD is a flat transfer from the master. Is the regular SHM-CD also a flat transfer?

8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

This one, yes: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-75931

[​IMG]

9. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

mick_sh likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It would appear the SHM-SACD is OOP. Damn, it's the last one I wanted! I can't even find it on eBay and Amazon MP! Is it that rare and collectable?

11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goats-Head-Soup-Rolling-Stones/dp/B00599UE7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1403766667&sr=1-1&keywords=Goats head soup SACD

I have searched for months for this, and just found it. I haven't received it, so I won't believe it until I actually have it in my hands. The listing could be wrong, that has happened to me before from a different website. Also, Elusive Disc lists this as "expected on June 30" but they said May 30 last month!

EDIT- when I posted this link there was one left. Ten minutes later "currently unavailable"

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  12. Bobby Morrow

I don't want to worry you, but I emailed the seller (musicjapan?) about this yesterday.He told me this was actually the PLATINUM SHM-CD... He even sent me a picture of the box! I thought it was suspicious he had one so cheap...

13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

14. Bobby Morrow

You could always return the Platinum as it wasn't what was advertised?

I'm from the UK and have never used Elusive Disc... Would you tip me the wink should it become available?

15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Oh, it's definitely going back if not as advertised! I always take screen shots when I buy specific releases, in case there are ever any questions down the road. But I hope they reply to my email before shipping.

Yes I will let you know if I have any luck in the search, please do the same :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Listened to the PLATINUM SHM-CD earlier tonight. Considering the source material quality for sound it sounds very, very good. Lots of folks like to rag on this album, but I love it. And this CD makes the listening expirence all the more enjoyable for me.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Will do. I've actually dealt with that seller a few years ago. He was pretty good then. Any correspondence is difficult though, as his English isn't great...

BTW, I don't have the Platinum SHM-CD, but it is supposed to be the next best thing to the SACD. From the same master, I believe...

18. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

Is the Virgin CD of this any good?

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Two in stock at cdjapan (link above)

20. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

The search goes on...

-

Dear JRM
    Very sorry to inform you that your item is out of stock. We cannot expect to get it soon. Would you please accept that we will refund into your account within today. Very sorry again for this time.
    Best regards,
    Yumin
    musicjapan.jp

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Man, that's something. I sold mine last year on Amazon, I should have bought two. But your right, I looked everywhere and Nobody has it. Amazing. I do have a friend down in Oregon who has a friend that has two. He's going to ask if he'd cough one up.
    If the answer is positive I'll let you know.
    Last one went for $100 CDN! on ebay.ca.
    But again, their the only ones in existence.
    the beave

22. The Beave

Stop the Presses!
    This sight in Australia for $65, which is what I originally paid for from CDJapan:

http://www.birdland.com.au/catalogue/category632/p62484/newOrder

but don't know anything about this seller.

the beave

JRM likes this.
  23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Well, I would hugely appreciate that...thanks!

24. The Beave

JRM, the Birdland store seems legit. Mom and Pop store in Sydney.
    $65 is at this point, a very reasonable price.
    Get two and put one up on ebay, lower your ending cost.
    the beave

JRM likes this.
  25. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

That is what I did...fingers crossed! I sent them an email asking to confirm it is SHM-SACD, not SHM-CD, but it is 2AM there right now. Thanks for excellent search work!!! Trying not to get my hopes up again, but I think this one might be real :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.