Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

Found a 1st press England's Newest Hitmakers London red mono Ex- with poster at a store in 2014. They were sharp and was surprised as they really should have known better for $8.00. Lucky find

2. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Let's just say it's modest. Rega Planar 3 with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge, Pioneer 626, and some loaner speakers (I think they're Altecs of some sort; my Advent membranes disintegrated). I have some Polk Audios waiting for when the Altec owner repossesses.

3. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That is impressive. I tried to bargain with the guy for $18 instead since it didn't have the poster and he told me he could raise the price and sell it tomorrow. Ok guy, that's why the price tags on there indicate it sat for 4 years before being discounted, but I'm sure you could sell it tomorrow for more. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet for certain lps. My impatience and growing collection means filling in the holes is getting more expensive.

In other news I just found a beautiful BTB stereo copy for pretty cheap a month or so ago. Bell sound, early London sleeve and all. I just need a copy of Satanic that doesn't break the bank...

zeuhl likes this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I found most of my London monos in one pile in the 90s for dirt cheap and when I cleaned them this year I realized how lucky I was. Now! and Big Hits are both SOOOO AWESOME! Out of Our Heads is amazing too.

Sorry for random other comment; I had double posted due to forum issues

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    D.B. and Dee Zee like this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

You're very lucky then ;)

Seriously though, I'm looking for possible info on a specific Stones track, and I believe that the 'Rolling Stones Gear' book has some info. So, anybody have the book?

tonewheeltom likes this.
  6. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I still have my original London mono Big Hits from 1966 when I was 15, played to death. But it didn't die. Still plays remarkably well today.

D.B., chacha and ODShowtime like this.
  7. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

OK, still going through this box set one disc per day. I'm on the US Out of Our Heads now. Am I to observe that this is the first LP, chronologically, since the debut, not to have any fold downs? I mean there's no Chess tracks, right? It looks like it's all true mono.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No fold-downs, but some tracks were recorded at Chess. However, they were recorded in 1965, and none of the 1965 Chess tracks have shown up in stereo. My suspicion is that unlike the 1964 tracks, they weren't mixed at Chess, and thus were only mixed in mono.

D.B. likes this.
  9. Trainspotting

Got it. I was just thinking it's weird that since Oldham was in charge of the US LPs, that when the UK Out of Our Heads appeared months later, it used the same title as the US version, as well as six tracks which had also appeared on the US album. Not to mention "Heart of Stone" which was from the previous year!

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's also the fact that the artwork for the UK Out of Our Heads and the US December's Children is almost identical, including most of the essay and the credits, even though some aren't applicable on December's Children.

slane likes this.
  11. Trainspotting

Same with 12 x 5 and Rolling Stones #2, right? Except for the essay.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, 12 X 5 and No. 2 share a front cover photo, but No. 2 and Now! share a rear cover. And as with December's Children, the credits are wrong; Stu is credited with organ on Time Is On My Side even though it's not on the album, and David Bailey is credited with "Cover photograph" when it's actually a bunch of photos, possibly taken by another photographer, although I'm not sure.

13. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

As was Bill Porter in Nashville and Dave Kapp in New York. They were almost alone in their thinking of stereo from the get-go with pop recordings.

This is opposed to almost everyone else at the time making such records. (Classical music arguably was the driving force for stereo sound on consumer disc/tape to begin with, so the term pop as I'm using it entails all non-classical, non-easy listening/lounge music. Blues, country, rock, teen, a lot of jazz, etc.)

lukpac likes this.
  14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Hot streak! Just found 12x5 and Flowers red label Londons $5 plus stereo satanic for $20. The collection is almost complete! Sorry folks I had to tell someone my coworkers don't care.

D.B., goodiesguy, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Re-posting for those checking in who missed it.

Dedicated mono
    not released during the 2002 "restoration" (UPDATED):

Aftermath (UK/US)
    4.Under My Thumb
    5.Doncha Bother Me
    6.Going Home
    7.Flight 505
    8.High And Dry
    9.Out Of Time
    10.It’s Not Easy
    11.I Am Waiting
    12.Take It Or Leave It
    13.Think
    14.What To Do

[11]

Between The Buttons (UK)
    1.Yesterday’s Papers
    2.My Obsession
    3.Back Street Girl
    4.Connection
    5.She Smiled Sweetly
    6.Cool, Calm & Collected
    7.All Sold Out
    8.Please Go Home
    9.Who’ s Been Sleeping Here?
    10.Complicated
    11.Miss Amanda Jones
    12.Something Happened To Me Yesterday

[12]

Flowers
    1.Ruby Tuesday
    5.Out Of Time (short version)
    6.My Girl
    11.Ride On, Baby
    12.Sittin’ On A Fence

[5]

Their Satanic Majesties Request
    1.Sing This All Together
    2.Citadel
    4.2000 Man
    5.Sing This All Together (See What Happens)
    8.Gomper
    10.On With The Show

[6]

Beggars Banquet
    1.Sympathy For The Devil

Stray Cats
    As Tears Go By (Italian)
    The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man [unedited original mix]
    Honky Tonk Women

GRAND TOTAL - 38

Upgrades: Street Fighting Man; You Can't Always Get What You Want

D.B., LSP2003, Hep Alien and 7 others like this.
  16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

They did Magical Mystery Tour as an album rather than a double EP, which was eventually canonized. ;)

17. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Cheers slane...I have the book, what info do you need?

D.B. likes this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

This is related to thread, although a little tangentally -

I'm Alright appeared on both US Out of Our Heads LP and the Got Live If You Want It LP. (it also appeared on Got Live If You Want It EP but I have never heard the EP -- if this version is the same as one of the first two I mentioned, please let me know).

I believe, but just from my own listening, that the instrumental portion of I'm Alright on both the US Out of Our Heads LP and the Got Live If You Want It LP are identical (i.e., same recording), with only the vocals and the crowd noises differing. But I have never found any documentation about this, either one way or the other, wrt my premise.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The US Out Of Our Heads has the Got Live EP recording, just as December's Children has Route 66 and I'm Moving On from the same EP.

And yes, the backing is identical on the Got Live LP, but the vocals are different.

Adam9 likes this.
  20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

That's good to hear. I've been maintaining that since the '80s, but at various times since then, others have insisted I was wrong.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I must have had a realization around 2002. I did a sync-up of the two then, and there are several threads that mention the issue from around that time.

22. booker

booker Forum Resident

I am sorry if this has been already discussed but I wonder if original London LPs were pressed using original master tapes or second generation tapes were used especially for tracks not appearing on original Decca albums. Also are there any mix differences between Decca and London of the same tracks. I've got all UK1P releases up to LIB and the new box and wonder if it does make sense to get original London records for differences. On new box one question - did you experience sibilance issue on those records? So far I listened to Stray Cats, RS and 12x5 and on some tracks I get that sibilance - songs like I Want To Be Loved, Under The Boardwalk, I Just Want... to mention few. I wonder if it is bad alignment or sibilant pressing.

23. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

That is a rabbit hole that has nagged at me for too long. I think the worldwide ABKCO search for any and all tapes is a clue that a lot of the tapes marked "master" on various assembly LP reels was a hodgepodge of some sort.

When you think about it, it's inevitable, especially pre-Aftermath. The band records at Chess and RCA in the USA...Regent and IBC in England...and songs from those session show up on LP's. Now...the LP's don't line up between the UK and USA so there has to be different masters for each configuration......does London have the actual masters for the stuff recorded in the USA? Did they send them to Decca UK or tape copies? Does Decca only have the UK based tapes? Wait...many of those early American Stones LP's were pressed in the UK for London...but London also pressed them themselves after a while...so did Decca have the first generation tapes...or did London have them, send copies to Decca who pressed LP's for USA export...but what tapes did London use when they pressed them domestically? Did Decca send them the tape they used for the first export USA pressings? Did London use the tapes they copied originally for Decca and already had vaulted or did Decca send them another generation up copy for that? Oy.!! What a puzzle. :(

24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

As I mentioned in earlier posts (much closer to the beginning of this thread), I was wondering why the RS mono box did not appear in 2010-2011, following the lead of the Beatles and Dylan.

After reading through this thread, I see that the RS story on this is "much more" muddled than that for the Beatles.

As another poster mentioned earlier, we need a Bruce Spizer for the Rolling Stones!

25. booker

booker Forum Resident

Yep. Looks like opening Pandora Box. Bruce could do the job. The bottom line is how it sounds I mean Decca vs London for the same tracks. The only songs I missed guessing on Michael Fremer test were 3 songs FFRR export vs. London. I thought UK exports would have sounded better and London surprised me with slightly better sound.

The Beave likes this.