Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Are you 100% the one you got is official? Because there are tons of Chinese fakes on the market. Inspect the hub of the CD carefully. If it carries SID Mould Code ifpiB404 or similar (B414, B414) - you got Chinese fake.
    Check another thread for details
    Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Pricing & Shipping Thread
    Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Pricing & Shipping Thread

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

The stray cats with Beggars banquet lp as 1 of the two lps is in regards to vinyl set not the cd box
    Sorry for confusion

3. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I have most of these titles in their stereo DSD vinyl form. IMO- they sound fantastic.

I would love to compare , but the cost is high .
    for those that have both- are the new Monos the way to go? Is there enough of a sound me difference warrant selling the DSD's for this set?

4. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

This has been a random packaging problem with the Vinyl box set with the stray cats lp. I'd follow-up asap with seller to get a replacement copy.

5. I am curious to know if the Chinese counterfeits return the same EAC results as the authorized sets.

6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Not really, IMO. There's a lot of duplication, and I found the first ABKCO box to be quite good in terms of sound quality and pressing quality. I only bought the mono box because I found a great deal with an Amazon seller, and had some gift cards to use toward the purchase. ABKCO was talking about releasing individual albums from the set later (with the possible exception of "Stray Cuts"), so that might be worth the wait. I like the mono versions of "Beggars Banquet" and "Let It Bleed", but it's a pretty subtle difference, all things told. They also sound good in the stereo versions.

7. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

2. They do, save for the 2002 Abcko 'Aftermath', which features an extremely narrowed version of the original stereo mix (some stereo mixes were narrowed on the 'Flowers' stereo remaster too, IIRC). Also, the Abcko 'Got Live If You Want It' [US] remaster uses a completely different stereo re-mix from any preceeding release. Beggars' Banquet itself is pitch-corrected on both the Abcko stereo remaster and the new 2016 mono remaster.

hodgo likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2002 Aftermath has some narrowing, but it isn't "extremely narrowed"; that would be the original 1986 ABKCO issue. Between The Buttons has similar narrowing.

The Got Live remix is similar, albeit not identical, to the 1987 ABKCO.

And note that Beggars isn't pitch corrected, it's simply from the masters which run at the correct speed.

tedg65, hodgo and GetHappy!! like this.
  9. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Technically, we should not discuss here counterfeits.
    But yes, to some extend. Chinese CD's share the same TOCs and peak levels but have different CRC. I.e. Chinese CD's utilize the same mastering but are recorded with different write offset.
    As an example

Chinese

Track02.wav

Peak level 99.1 %
    Copy CRC 8375D721
    Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 7) [39D5BFDC], AccurateRip returned [0BC499FC]
    Copy OK

Official
    02 I Just Want To Make Love To You.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:00.02

Peak level 99.1 %
    Extraction speed 1.4 X
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 9FD732CE
    Accurately ripped (confidence 7) [0BC499FC] (AR v2)
    Copy OK

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

My advice would be to wait until the individual titles will be released later this year and then buy the 3 titles which are essentially the only full albums that has unique mono versions compared to stereo:

Aftermath
    Between The Buttons
    Their Satanic Majesties Request

Note: There is a UK and a US version of Aftermath, both of which adds and lacks some tracks compared to the two versions: The UK has the tracks "What To Do", "Out Of Time", "Mother's Little Helper" and "Take It Or Leave It", which are missing from the US version. The US version, however, has "Paint It, Black", which the UK version lacks.
    If you decide buying the US version, you can supply with the mono Flowers compilation and you will get "Out Of Time" (in a slightly edited version), "Mother's Little Helper" and "Take It Or Leave It", but no "What To Do". If you decide buying the UK version, you will get no "Paint It, Black". Flowers also boasts 2 unique Aftermath-outtakes, "Sittin On A Fence" and "Ride On, Baby", so that album is quite essential no matter what.

Other than that, there isn't really very much 'unique' mono material. The mono Beggars Banquet has a unique mix of "Sympathy For The Devil", while the rest of the songs are folddowns from the stereo, so it's pretty subjective if that mono Beggars Banquet are worth it because of one mix variation.

Another thing is that the UK configuration of the debut album (which is the version that will be reissued this year), is one song different from the US counterpart (the DSD vinyl version from 2003): The UK has "Mona", the US has "Not Fade Away". All other tracks are identical.

The british album "No. 2", will also be the first time since the eighties that the album gets a stand-alone re-release (not counting it's apperances in boxed sets).

Hep Alien and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's my plan. I don't know if I'd spin Satanic enough to justify owning a mono and stereo version, but I'm really excited to get Aftermath and Buttons in glorious mono.

MHP and forthlin like this.
  12. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

As someone who has not bought the box and is waiting for the individual sets, I would love it if they released 2 disc sets with mono and stereo versions from Aftermath onwards.

Considering Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are fold downs to mono, I wonder if they can really be marketed as authoritative versions that demand you to buy separately. However they might make sense if sold as a curio alongside the stereo version. Would they really want two versions of the one album sitting in the racks in record shops?

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wouldn't expect sonic miracles from the mono versions of Aftermath & BTB.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

XLD will show if a CD would match with a different offset. Does EAC not do that or do the counterfeits not match even with an offset shift?

15. walrus

I just like the mixes a lot more. I wouldn't expect sonic miracles from much of anything the Stones recorded prior to Banquet.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

To each his own. I think the BTB mono mixes are just okay and the Aftermath mono mixes are less than just okay. And Aftermath in particular makes a fairly decent recording (as evidenced by the stereo mix) sound pretty bad.

Also, Satanic is prior to Banquet and is one the better recordings sonically in the Stones canon.

googlymoogly likes this.
  17. walrus

I just don't really like mid-60's hard-panned stereo mixes. Aftermath isn't the worst offender, but I would enjoy having both. It's the best of their early records, for sure.

Satanic is a better recording, just not a very good album, aside from the two singles on Side B. ("2000 Light Years From Home" is one of my favorite Stones tunes). I really like "2000 man", but think Kiss did it better on their Unplugged album.

18. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

I am not familiar with XLD and never use that program. I am not Apple guy.
    I do not own Chinese version of the box. Somebody sent me a log file from a rip of Chinese box made by EAC configured to accurate rip mode. I compared that with the log for the official disc that I own. Peaks and TOC were identical. CRC was different and did not match. That is it. If this will help

Route 66 Chinese box
    [​IMG]
    Route 66 official EU box
    [​IMG]

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As I said, to each his own on preferring mono vs stereo mixes or whether Satanic is a good or not good album. But you were simply wrong stating that one shouldn't expect sonic miracles from anything recorded before Beggars. Sure there is quite a bit of early badly recorded stuff, but Satanic, Aftermath, the Chess stuff - are all before Beggars and were well-recorded. There's little reason mono mixes of those pre-Beggars albums can't all be good sonically (not withstanding that true mono mixes of some of Chess stuff doesn't exist).

IMO, one reason Aftermath in mono "sounds" like crap compared to the stereo mix is because IMO it's not a very good mix to begin with.

20. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Is there something like a general consensus as how do the new mono stones from the box compare to seventies boxed decca uk pressing ?

21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I only have the CD set and 2 boxed pressings to compare to (the first 2 Stones UK albums) but I prefer listening to the CDs. Tighter, sharper and more bass presence on the debut and more detailed sound on No. 2.

22. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Thanks for your opinion...I am more focusing on a comparaison between UK boxed mono decca from the seventies and the lp from the new box...I am very "ear-sensitive" to analogue mastered lp but asI hear that digital sourced lps can sound very good, I was asking this question. In other words, when you listen to the new mono lp from the box, is it not too clinical ? There is the instruments, the presence, the sharper things but on an analogue lp the music is generally floating in the air and in the atmosphere of the room and it's not fatiguing at all; for a digital one, the music tend to float in the void... So I would like to hear from people who have both boxed decca pressings and the new ones : what are their feelings ? If they had to choose between a late seventies repress in VG++, EX, NM or the new ones, what would they buy ? In fact, as the lps from the box will be sold individually very soon, I am hesitating to concentrate on buying boxed decca pressing from the seventies or even from beginning eighties made in house from decca tapes or buy the new ones...

23. walrus

The vast majority of my listening is on headphones, so that probably affects my preference here as well. My Aftermath from the ABKCO box is fantastic, just a weird headphone listen.

24. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

My avatar used to be the London CD of Aftermath (stereo). "A sonic gem" is how I went on the record describing it. After all these years I am loving the mono. It rocks. In your face. Sometimes a change is as good as a Holiday. :agree:

Man at C&A, ShallowMemory and walrus like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have a few of mid seventies boxed Deccas and find them a really strident harsh listen. I have the new vinyl mono box and am slowly making my way through. It's a much easier more pleasurable listen for me. I also prefer the mastering on the US 60s Londons to the Deccas. Many here would disagree with that. YMMV.

0476pearljam likes this.