Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Are there still plans for individual releases?

905 likes this.
  2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

There's been no announcement to the contrary that I've heard.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I so hope for individual releases. Just wanna buy No.2, both Aftermath versions and Beggars Banquet.
    Have some of the 2002 DSD/SACDs and I'm satisfied with it already, just wanna complete my collection.
    Was Let It Bleed a fold down mix or true mono?

By the way, I was always wondering why 'Child Of The Moon' was subtitled "RMK" on the Singles Collection... A remake? Or what did that mean?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Fold down. As was Beggars outside of Sympathy.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thanks! Think I'll buy the 2002 Beggars Banquet CD then.

6. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

I saw an individual release at my local record shop. The word Mono was printed on the Rolling Stones 1st album... I assume this is one of the new ones. Or an old sealed one in incredibly great shape. ha

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There is no stereo version of the 1st UK album. Pretty much every pressing of it has been mono (although there may be an odd fake stereo version from some country out there).

andrewskyDE and lukpac like this.
  8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Isn't RMK also on the original single? I've always assumed remake but they've remade songs before and not labeled them as such. A version (instrumental) was cut during the Satanic sessions.

9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My WG London CD says stereo on the label. Fortunately, it isn't.
    Not on the London 45.

Ironbelly likes this.
  10. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

Well, that explains things then. Coincidental that the first time I saw this (2010?) pressing at the same time mono box was out, so I just made an assumption.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm not sure. I only have a german pressing of the single and something like 'rmk' isn't mentioned there.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have three pressings of the first album.
    One is the Decca UK version, the other two are the version subtitled England's Newest Hitmakers, the 2002 remaster on vinyl; and a 'stereo reprocessed' version from London Records US, which sounds horrible.

13. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

To my best knowledge there are 4 versions of the label for that particular CD with misprint STEREO ;)

Adam9 likes this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So I finally used the download card to put the MP3's on Itunes. I was sad when I checked the file info and it is only 160 kbps. Why did they not provide 320 kbps (or did I accidentally do something wrong)? I alreday have every Stones album on my Ipod but was thinking if replacing some mono versions, now not so sure.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The standard mp3 for mono-only tracks is actually 128 till 160kbps. For stereo it's usually 320kbps. So in a way, it's correct what you downloaded there.
    Though I think it's better if record companies would start to give us the opportunity downloading lossless formats through access with a DL card.

Hotdog and Jam757 like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Exactly. In stereo, each channel would be 160 kps, so in total that's 320. But since it's mono, it's only 160. Perfectly normal.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It depends on if the MP3s are encoded in mono or stereo. Usually files are still stereo even if the content is mono.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Normally' a mono recording on a stereo encoded mp3 contains 80kbps per channel. And a mono encoded mp3 is the combined version of a stereo mp3.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My point is that mono content is often encoded in stereo. Depending on the encoding scheme, the effective bitrate could be halved.

Someone would have to confirm if the MP3s in question are encoded in mono or stereo.

21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks guys for the answers. In doing further research I also discovered this was not an issue. In briefly listening to the MP3 downloads on headphones I thought they did sound pretty good. Now I will have to decide which albums to replace as the 160gb Ipod is already packed full.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So 160 mono is effectively 320 stereo MP3?

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Probably one of the pirate copies that have been around for years.

24. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

That's true and maybe they will get released. At the same time, the previous stereo boxes were supposed to get individual releases and that never happened.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yep, a 320 stereo mp3 has 160kbps per channel.

guidedbyvoices and Jam757 like this.