Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

My mistake, sorry.

It is funny.
    Time Is On My Side is from Ed Sallivan
    Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow? and Jumpin' Jack Flash are promo clips from 60's.
    Sympathy For The Devil (Neptunes Remix) is a new clip.

This table is from iorr
    [​IMG]
    I do not put credit here, because I do not remember where I dig it. Iorr for sure, but I do not remember the author.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very helpful. Thank you for posting it.

3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

They're also nice for all the picture sleeves.

A well respected man likes this.
  4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I listened to all three discs (SACD) of The Singles Collection while I was smoking ribs for yesterday's dinner. It has been years since I have done the entire collection in one listening session. I wonder if I will ever do it again given my age? :sigh:

Crispy Rob, KeninDC and When In Rome like this.
  5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

They are worth it also for the original (as much as it's going to get) mix of "19th Nervous" and the extended "Paint It Black".

The US Newest Hitmakers is the best place to find the (as) long (as its going to get) edit of "Tell Me" that is mastered close to the mono box.

Thank God for digital media players and playlists, is all I can say...

6. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Of course, do it again now; then anything else is a bonus... ;)

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That doesn't address the CD EP nor December's and OOOH. I think the CD is the same as the EP, and the versions on December's and OOOH are the same, no?

8. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes, the CD EP is the same as the vinyl EP, and the tracks on December´s Children and Out Of Our Heads (US) are the same versions as on the EP.

Then it gets complicated - I don´t think it´s exactly clear what tracks on the Live In England ´65/Charlie Is My Darling are different takes/mixes from the EP...

Here are two threads from IORR on this:
    CD Live 1965 Charlie
    Live In England '65!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Charlie Is My Darling CD is either different mixes (new mixes from multi's) or different perfomances. Glyn Jones taped about 3 concerts in March 65 during their UK tour and they had luxury to pick up best takes out of these.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Pretty sure new mixes. If memory serves, at least some tracks are very narrow stereo, although it's been a while since I've checked.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I did a breakdown, based on The Complete Works of the Rolling Stones - Database

Maybe I should post it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. This is spooky. I did the exact same thing yesterday and listened to all three SACDs. I hadn't pulled out the set in nearly a decade.

13. ReelStone

ReelStone Forum Resident

Please don't.

14. Good table - pretty accurate I think (I also would like to amend my earlier comment about "Route 66" on the Singles 1963-1965 set being a new version - it's actually the same as on the original EP). With the luxury of picking and choosing, I think they did actually choose the best takes for the original Got Live EP, though it's valuable to have what sounds like a complete uninterrupted show on the Charlie live CD.

A couple of notes - the version of "Satisfaction" on the Charlie set is actually the same as on the 1966 Got Live LP (including the after-the-fact piano overdub), only mixed with the full complete ending instead of the fade out as on the LP. It would have been a performance from their Fall '66 U.K. tour, as it had not been recorded yet at the time of the March '65 shows. Note also that the '66 LP appropriates "Time Is On My Side" and "I'm Alright" (with a new vocal overdub I think) from the March '65 gigs.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Indeed.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Ok I won't

17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Not sure if this goes in this thread, I just wanted to say one of the discoveries for me in this box was "The Rolling Stones n. 2". Being more familiar with the American discography for the early albums, I had never listened to this album, and I think it's great. The track selection and sequencing flows incredibly well, it's like a collection of R&B tracks, and it contains the great I Can't Be Satisfied, not present in any American album. It has become my favourite Stones album pre-Aftermath.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Except More Hot Rocks of course.

19. A well respected man

That's right (I have it too), I meant the American albums from the same time. I find it inexplicable that this track was not included in any 65 American album (there were three of them!)

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, an odd omission. Especially since Look What You've Done ended up on December's Children.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Nice playing by Brian Jones on that track. It should have been on 12 x 5.

22. A well respected man

Exactly. And wasn't there another live track in the US Out of Our Heads? They stick out like a sobre thumb.

23. KinkySmallFace1991

A particular favorite of mine is in "I'm Moving On" on December's Children. While that track fades out, "I'm Alright" is starting. "Looking Tired" should have closed that album...seriously.

Spazaru likes this.
  24. I've wondered whether 'Looking Tired' got held back from official release due to it being a re-working of Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues, with either concerns over rights or The Stones just not thinking it up to their standards with the melody being appropriated.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. KinkySmallFace1991

It's not a bad track at all. Neither is their cover of Little Walter's arrangement of "Key To The Highway", again, worthy additions to December's Children.

Clanceman, Tommyboy and Hep Alien like this.