Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

google is your friend, in this situation.

2. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Hidden away in compilations.

3. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

I have two box sets 2093 and amazon sent another 2097. Both have Beggars Banquet instead of stray cats lp 1. Third is coming tomorrow.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

So two copies of Beggar's Banquet?

5. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

Yep Beggard Banquet was a mono fold down,so screw the mono box set. It's all garbage.

6. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

Yes. And a third box set arrives tomorrow. I emailed amy at abkco. Hopefully if its another beggars,then maybe amy can help.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"Sympathy For The devil" and "Street Fighting Man" are dedicated mono mixes.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Yes, “Sympathy” is dedicated, and the only dedicated mono mix, while “Street Fighting Man” is a fold on the album, but had a dedicated mono mix for the single version, which appears on Stray Cats.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Glad I didn't get it then.

10. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

I was actually joking. I have it. And it sounds good even for a fold down.

11. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

I know that. Look at the post above mine.

12. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

Yes I have 2 box sets with beggars instead of stray cats. A third box set is coming today. If it has beggars I'm calling abkco tomorrow.

13. MBF74

MBF74 Active Member

Mono box set just popped up on Tidal yesterday.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I got beggars in my stray cats too. They sent a replacement out right away.

15. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Were there two actual Beggars discs, label and content, or a Stray Cats labeled disc that has Beggars audio on it? (tried to search the thread, but there's over 4,000 posts)

16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have an original UK Decca Beggars Banquet. It sounds good. Yes, the folded down tracks sound good. I sometimes think I like them better than the stereo versions, but it is such a classic album that I do vacillate a lot.

Some years back some member posted the theory that some or all of the UK Decca mono albums from late 1966 on to the phase out may have been fold downs and engineered especially to fold down correctly (i.e. without any loss, etc.). He did this by comparing all the John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers stereo and mono tracks and finding the timings identical (if I'm remembering that correctly). He also compared the sound. I have most all those Mayall UK monos and I happen to think the monos of that material sound better, they hold together better, but you don't ever hear anything that jumps out at you as a 'tell' that you have a dedicated mono mix.

So obviously Decca got Sympathy For The Devil wrong, Hopkins' piano disappeared in the folded mono if I'm remembering the story right, and so needed a dedicated mono mix (and the mono mix of SFTD is much better IMO).

As I'm thinking about the mono Beggars Banquet, I remember liking No Expectations, Parachute Woman and Jig-Saw Puzzle in their folded mono incarnation better than stereo, but I haven't listened to either in quite a while. What I'm saying, though, is that if you love the album then you owe it to yourself to hear the mono if you can get one regardless of its being a fold-down. Lots of fold-downs are awful, true. The mono Beggars Banquet isn't IMO.

YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Decca had nothing to do with it, other than presumably requesting a mono mix of Sympathy. Otherwise it was all Jimmy Miller, Glyn Johns, a bit of Eddie Kramer, and the crews at Olympic and Sunset Sound.

Dave Hoos and EdogawaRampo like this.
  18. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Where is the proof of this?

19. David del Toro

Sorry to be late to the party but are the DSD downloads any more dynamic than the HDtracks downloads and the CDs? I'm reading some scary DR numbers and some talks of peak limiting

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re high resolution downloads of the mono box. In the UK at HDTracks this set is not available. From a friend I got a copy of the version on sale in the USA but I can't remember which resolution it is in. Acoustic Sounds offers this set to folk in the USA and Canada in 3 forms.
    Flac 192/24, Flac 96/24 and DSD 2.8 MHz.
    I enjoyed the cd set I have (not played much of the vinyl but what I have looks terrific and sounded fine) and the download I have is very good and I put my own folders together of singles and EPs as best you can given some anomalies.
    Like the post above I would be interested in what folk think of these downloads and if anyone is nuts enough to have all 3 to compare!

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Bob Ludwig "Stones CDs" Interview

I’ll put up some spectral plots tomorrow. You can clearly see the NR’d sections.

TonyCzar, David del Toro and lukpac like this.
  22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

two actual Beggars discs, label and content

23. David del Toro

Oh no... I hope my DSD downloads of Let It Bleed weren't in vain...

24. Noise reduction tools didn't exist for DSD back when the Rolling Stones SACDs were released.

David del Toro likes this.
  25. David del Toro

Gonna read that article soon. I wonder which albums were affected