Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Don't want to cause any doubts/misinformation etc...but I have a mono Majesties vinyl rip on CD from a wellknown source, only one I have heard actually, and there is something that changes from side A to B. Side A sounds really great, punchy mono sound with nice depth. Side B has a different sound, not as defined, slightly more flat sounding, enought to have think it could be a folddown! I do hope those with original copies can confirm the vinyl is dedicated mono mixes on both sides.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Just a thought - putting aside the differences in mixes, if you wanted to use this set to play every song they released in the 60's without duplication does the Stray Cats discs work better as a companion to the American albums rather than the UK albums?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There were other pressings that sounded better than the UK pressing.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It's actually in between the Decca and London catalogs.

pablo fanques likes this.
  5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I think it's time for me to become offically poor.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Spanish mono pressing sounds better.

unfunkterrible likes this.
  7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I've seen mention of two versions of Poison Ivy, but I believe there are three. Where is number three?

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Thanks.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

To check if it's a fold down you can count the number of times you hear the gong that opens "The Lantern". The dedicated mono has 3; the stereo 2.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Not confusing to me either. Might be to the Not Quite Awake brigade. However, since they say this won't be available separately, the matter should end there.

11. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Ordered vinyl.

Sean and Carl80 like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There are only 2 basic versions, released on Saturday Club and the debut EP. There's a variation of the Saturday Club version on the 1986 More Hot Rocks, which is missing some percussion.

The same is true with Fortune Teller: the "master" version released on Saturday Club, and a version with different overdubs on the 1986 More Hot Rocks.

Presumably the versions on the 1986 MHR are considered mistakes, as they haven't appeared before or after.

13. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

Will the lp box come w/ download card
    or just the deluxe version w/ 45s comes w/ download?

Simon A likes this.
  14. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

3 gongs, side b not sounding quite right still, could be the transfer, lacks the depth and punch of side A (drums, bass especially)...well, only a transfer!

15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I've just read the LP box comes with the download card.

16. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Question: Even though they are considered mistakes, shouldn't be re-released since they have at one time been officially
    released and not called back?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would probably argue so, but then again, I'm not in charge of the catalog.

18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

But you should be.

19. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I'm with you on several issues. For me it's not really a missed opportunity so much as another Stones box using the mono motif.

If I didn't have the 2010 and had a choice between these two with equal or similar price, I'd choose the 2010. No sense getting the folds of Aftermath US, LIB and BB. I know that not everyone had a stereo receiver in the 60s but there's no necessity for folds in 2016. Also, the 2010 has several of the mono that's included in the new box.

I will cherry pick a few if some errors/omissions from the 2010 or the 2002's are fixed. For instance, a complete cold finish of Tell Me would get me to pick up the vinyl debut. Likewise OOOH uk if the correct Heart of Stone is there. I'd be surprised, however, to find these changes made though I hope for the best.

I do expect vinyl copies of Aftermath UK and Satanic US to use the correct mono mixes and I will pick those up. BTB I'll get on CD since I'm quite happy with my US mono vinyl.

I would have considered Stray Cats on vinyl standalone but I'm not shelling out for the whole box for it. Almost all the tracks are on the Singles Collection which I have on CD.

steveharris likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

...Will I be happy?, will I be rich?...

21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

True. Spanish mono Aftermath is the one I listen to. But be careful if buying, there is an earlier Spanish pressing that sounds poor.

22. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Regarding the mono aftermath, I have several UK copies, one of them sounds good, there is actually treble! The others got this dark muffled sound. But sound but aside, great in mono!

Daveymoore likes this.
  23. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Bought my UK Aftermath new and still in perfect condition. Have seen several posts saying that the sound is bad, but have played my copy twice this week and the sound is great so not sure what problems people have experienced.

keith65 likes this.
  24. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

O, how much do I aspire to own those luverly 7"s!
    O, how sad I shall be, because ain't no way I'm going for $445
    to get 9 45s and many LPs that I already own.
    O, ain't life a b*tch!

The Beave likes this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What is the label color of the inferior pressing? Is it orange?