Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. zen

zen Senior Member

The rock-a-billy band The Stray Cats must love the bonus disc name.

Preston likes this.
  2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It's actually kinda funny you mention them. A guy I used to work with said, "You want some good stuff, listen to Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats and give up that Rolling Stones crap."

Remy and Mazzy like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

Was he referring to Emotional Rescue? :winkgrin:

4. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Yes I think we are in agreement. I'll be buying individually because I do have the 2010.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

all LPs of the UK version of Aftermath are sonically compromised by the long running time on the sides and the physical limits of the LP. The Ludwig mono Aftermath on SACD should obliterate all prevous and new vinyl releases.

Sean and JoeRockhead like this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Let's hope.

At least you can't narrow mono.

7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I guess the big question for me and probably others is: Why would I buy these albums all over again when I have the very good 2002 issues?

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Listening now to the mono mix of US Satanic Majesties for the first time ever tonight (thanks to @Mazzy ). It's fantastic! Really funky kick drum heavy mix. I love it. Much more rock n roll than the ethereal stereo. Unfortunately this copy is totally trashed but still a blast to hear.

Mazzy likes this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Prob
    I'm with you. Individual titles this round. The 2010 box is perfection w those first titles.

reddyempower and Mark Wilson like this.
  10. Bubbabob

Bubbabob Active Member

i don't have any of the remasters and prefer mono, so this box makes sense for me..once the price comes down..

Smartin62, Sean, JoeRockhead and 2 others like this.
  11. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

I have original uk mono pressing of the 1st, no.2, aftermath, BTB and satanic. Bought OOOH (uk) last year from the 2003 reissues which sounds great. Aftermath and BTB could need an upgrade. They sound pretty good though. So I think I will wait for the reviews and maby buy some of the separate releases.

The cd set looks interesting though. Never found the 1st and 2nd uk albums on cd. There are japanese cd releases but very scarce and expensive, so to finally have cd versions of these and others in mono would be great. I could buy some of them individually but the box is probably a better buy as a whole. (not to derail this thread but: pre-ordered at amazon uk for GBP 97,60 seems fair)

12. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

To be fair, WG version of the 1st album on London label is not a hard catch. If you are not for the praised 1st pressing with some patience you can get 2nd pressing (with the same mastering and cold ended Tell Me) reasonably priced at ebay. The later re-issues are also very common (but sometimes overpriced)

The Japanese 2nd album is a different creature. But it sounds really thin comparing to vinyl. I would say this one is rather for collectors of rare and unique pressings.

I'm hoping they will do proper transfer for No.2 this time.

13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

True. The first UK album aren't difficult. It's No. 2 which are hard to get. Thankfully, now this will go right out the window and it will be nice to conclude ones collection with the first granted cd version of No. 2.
    Here is hope that they at some point will re-release the 2 UK Big Hits compilations as well.

alchemy and Ironbelly like this.
  14. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Right. Big Hits would be nice. Because the 1st one (HT&GG) on Japanese CD is a shame - full of fake stereo mixes.

MHP likes this.
  15. mitchcortes

Ok, the 1st is easier to find. I have them in my wantlist on discogs but they aren't cheap (around 50-80 EURO...). This set I guess will be a better buy also because the later albums are not available on cd in mono from what I know. Let's hope indeed the sound quality is good!

16. mitchcortes

Just checked eBay and you're right, 1st cd on londen is an easy catch.

17. Harty_88

Harty_88 Forum Resident

Sorry if I'm being daft, but why is Englands Newest Hitmakers not included?

I own a couple of UK originals from this set (first album, Satanic, Aftermath, Beggars and LIB stereo) of which only Aftermath is in great condition so I'm really tempted by this if the sound is as good as the DSD remasters from a few years ago, those sounded pretty good to me.

905 likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Because it's almost identical to the first UK album. Not Fade Away is on Stray Cats.

19. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Have most of the 2002 SACDs in addition to a number of the DSD sourced vinyl. They all sound great. This set is just not worth it.

20. chacha

The original Satanic UK I've always heard is a fold down?

21. mitchcortes

There is a dedicated mono mix with deadwax:
    • Matrix / Runout (Machine Stamped, Side 1): ARL-8126-1P
    • Matrix / Runout (Machine Stamped, Side 2): ARL-8127-P1
    The dedicated mono mix also has three bell rings before The Lantern as opposed to two on the Stereo/folddown.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Scan down:

sberger and lukpac like this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've got so much money but I spend it so fast...when the price comes down ;)

24. chacha

Yes, Satanic does have a dedicated mono mix. Apparently though, it was only used for the US and the UK used a fold down. Which is odd but what I've always heard.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's true.