Rolling Stones Mono Box (Vinyl) or 1964-1969 ABKCO Box?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Richie, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I own it. First LP is mono. Fake stereo after that until true stereo Aftermath.

zphage and All Down The Line like this.
  2. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

The 1984 MFSL box set.

Neither the mono box or the ABKCO 1964 - 1969 box set measure up to the MFSL.
    I'd pay the extra.

I have the ABKCO box set. It's nice, but it's still digital. It does not get played. Those records simply do not sound as good as, nor have the mojo of either original Deccas or the MoFi set.
    You do a A/B comparison of them on a good system, the difference is not subtle. I've done it, everyone always prefers the Deccas or the MoFi.
    Beggars Banquet is interesting, back to back, people go for the original. Except one lady - originally trained as an opera singer - who has perfect pitch. On that one she plumped for the ABKCO. Because..... wait for it.... the Decca Beggars Banquet was off pitch.... Well how about that.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

In a review.
    Actually i don't think they messed with the debut.
    It makes some sense as very early on (and way, way before the UK) the German's abandoned Mono at least on LP's. The rest from 66' onwards sounds great from memory and is respected. Some of the worst German fake stereo is on the Bravo LP especially "Come On"!

zphage likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I own it too but have no time to play it! (Lol)
    Most German Decca stuff sounds great originals and reissues. Original
    60's pressings of Banquet, Bleed, Buttons, Beat Beat Beat, Around & Around & The Debut are all killer!

Barnyard Symphony, zphage and KeninDC like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I agree with Tommyboy and MHP. I have both the 2010 and the more recent mono box. I like the 2010 for the UK track listings but if I could only keep one I would keep the mono box. I do not have the MFSL or German Decca box and as I am unlikely to see them at a price I could afford that will probably remain the case. I have not looked in a while but maybe prices for the 2010 box have dropped a bit since the mono box came out.

MHP and Tommyboy like this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

That is my understanding from reading all the threads on the mono box as well.

7. I'm sure that is phenomenal. I have the German Aftermath reissue from the 1980s. It sounds terrific!

8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I have the set, 're processed' stereo all over the place. A lot of true Mono also, but a carryover from the London fake stereo era, not good listening at all.
    Beave

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The MFSL box is going to cost upwards of $1000 USD. While the SQ is very good, you’re not getting the full catalog.

The mono box was well done and compares favorably to the original UK Decca pressings. The expletive “digital” shouldn’t stop anyone in buying the box.

Flaming Torch and marcb like this.
  10. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been covered in one of the many Stones In Mono box set threads....but I am reading it was limited to 1000 copies. Where on or in the boxset is the number located? Has this been reissued since it’s original release date of Nov/16? Or is whatever that is still showing as available on Amazon.ca part of that limited edition run. Thanks!

11. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

It is limited to 10000 copies and is numbered on the bottom of the box.

Queezma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.