Rolling Stones on DVD - Help

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sckott, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

My folks want a good DVD of the Rolling Stones in performance. Heck, I'm almost thinking I should hunt down a used copy of "Let's Spend The Night Together", but first, with Bridges To Babylon, Voodoo Lounge and Four licks (among others) for performance videos, what would you recommend? Thanks!

2. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

"Let's Spend the Night Together" hasn't been issued yet in the U.S. as a DVD. I think there is a version from Brazil available.

I'd say it depends on how much they like the Stones - Four Flicks is a great set at a great price, but is a lot of material. I like Live at the Max better than the Babylon and Voodoo Lounge discs, but I think that it may be out of print on DVD.

3. Sckott

Correct on both accounts. Max is available, but in low number. Thanks for confirming what I thought about Max.

4. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

"Four Flicks" is great but three separate concerts might be more than your parents would want. "Bridges To Babylon" is probably your best bet out of the other titles; good performance and high quality production values (DD 5.1 surround, etc.). "Voodoo Lounge" has been out of print for quite a while and is difficult to find these days. Avoid "At The Max"; the performance is OK, but the audience is too prominent in the mix and there are some very obvious overdubs.

Of course, "Gimme Shelter" is the best Stones DVD on the market, but may be a little too intense for obvious reasons...

5. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

The setlist on Max is probably best for the casual Stones fan, interested in the "hot rocks." Lots of warhorses and it was done on film, so it looks great.

6. Sckott

Exactly. Yes, you're all right-on. My parents have "good" musical tastes, but Gimmie Shelter and DEFINATELY Symapthy For The Devil would not be an easy watch for them. My mom was in Woodstock. She's got lovely memories of being woken up by Jimi Hendrix (not physically, just mentally). ;)

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd recommend "Flicks". Lotsa music for the money. "Babylon" is solid as well, but not as expansive. Steer clear of "Max" or "Lounge" - not very good DVDs.

My site has reviews of all these (except "Flicks" - haven't gotten to it yet) and much more at our special Music page:

http://www.dvdmg.com/music.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.