Rolling Stones - Recommended CD versions as of 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tripecac, May 17, 2017.

1. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been reading lots of threads about which Rolling Stones CDs sound best, which are a "safe bet", and which to avoid.

As of a few years ago, the "safe bet" consensus seemed to be these 3 rules:

1) For the 1960s, get the 2002 ABKCOs
    2) For 1970-1994, get the 1994 Virgins
    3) Avoid the 2009 Universals

Those rules are pretty straightforward.

However, I feel like they might be slightly out of date, since it seems that some post-2010 Japanese masterings are even better than the Virgins, at least for some of the CDs.

So I am wondering: does anyone have an up-to-date "shopping list" for Rolling Stones CDs, ideally one that favors simple rules (and a modest budget)?

2. afterm.ath

afterm.ath my life!

No. For the 1960s, in my opinion, here's what you need.

S/T - First London CD (Contains Original Version of "Tell Me")
    ENHM - 2002 SACD
    12 X 5 - 2002 SACD (Stereo Mixes on 6 tracks)
    No. 2 - Japanese CD
    Now! - 2002 SACD (Some Stereo Tracks)
    Out Of Our Heads US - 2002 SACD / London CD (UK version unnecessary)
    December's Children - London CD (Stereo "Get Off Of My Cloud") / 2002 SACD
    Aftermath UK - London CD ("Pink" cover) - VERY HIGH QUALITY WIDE STEREO (Aftermath US unnecessary)
    Got Live If You Want It! - Both 2002 SACD and 1980s London (SACD - mono / London - stereo, alternate mix)
    Between The Buttons - Either UK/US, Flowers will pick up the "missing" tracks. 1980s London (slightly faster) or 2002 SACD will do.
    Flowers - London CD / 2002 SACD
    TSMR - 2002 SACD
    Beggars Banquet - 2002 SACD. Other older CDs have the "slow" version.
    Through The Past Darkly - 2002 SACD (US), London CD (UK). Need both.
    Let It Bleed - 2002 SACD
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out - London CD / 2002 SACD
    Hot Rocks - LONDON HOT ROCKS 1 WITH DIGITALLY REMASTERED BANNER ON TOP LEFT. VERY WIDE STEREO.
    Hot Rocks - London Hot Rocks 2
    Hot Rocks - 2002 SACD
    More Hot Rocks - EVERY VERSION NEEDED. Rare mixes. 1986 ABKCOs. 1980s Londons. 2002 SACDs.
    Metamorphosis - SACD
    The Singles Collection - 1989 CDs and 2002 SACDs

This might help as well: http://lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

3. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, thanks a ton, that's awesome! What do you recommend for the 1970s (at least, for the albums you care about most)?

4. afterm.ath

afterm.ath my life!

I'm not an expert on that, but you should probably stick to the 1994 Virgins.

5. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

The Virgins are well regarded on here. You can go for the mini-LP CDs or the later pressings in jewel cases with the USA Collection outer sleeves. Same discs, same mastering.

6. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

+ 1 for the MFSL Hot Rocks CDs

joelee, Natvecal. and billnunan like this.
  7. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

If you can get hold of the 32DP Japan Sticky Fingers CD, I would highly recommend it, it's dynamic and crankable.
    Also, there are the 1987 CBS cd's. I have Tattoo You and Black and Blue from these issues, and they sound excellent. However, the 1994 Virgin's may be more available and cheaper, and they also sound very good IMO.

Regarding the Universal Japan flat transfer CD's; I have the platinum SHM CD of Exile, Emotional Rescue and IORR, and they all sound great. I can't speak for the others. I have the standard SHM CD of Goats Head Soup from around 2009 and this is mastered louder than the platinums which would suggest the standard SHM CDs are not flat transfers.

Clanceman likes this.
  8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I prefer the mono mix of Their Satanic Majesties Request, as found on the mono box. Rolling Stones No.2 is also in that box and may sound better (I haven't heard the Japanese) and is certainly easier to find than the latter disc. The other discs in that box sound fine. If you get it, you won't need, say, the Out Of Our Heads SACD as they are the same transfers. Also, if you get the London Hot Rocks, there is no need to get the London December's Children just to get "Get Off Of My Cloud" in stereo. Also, there are no tracks on the US or UK Through The Past Darkly that are not found on the other comps listed.

All Down The Line and MartinR like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Good News, so where do I find "The Barker introduction" to "She's A Rainbow" that was found on the original US "Through The Past Darkley"?

10. Adam9

Their Satanic Majesties Request, where it belongs.

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

No! It was part of the Original US LP and first US CD run of Through The Past Darkley. It had a nice flow. If you don't like you it can find it other comps.

12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Very simple:

Pre-Sticky: 2002 ABKCO Hybrid SACD
    Sticky and beyond: 2011 Japanese SHM-SACD

Also, the Japanese SACD Mono Box is terrific, if you dig that type of thing.

Another note: the half-speed master LP of Exile sounds fantastic to me, but some people will tell you that I am a nutball for saying so.

13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I heard that the Japanese SACDs were great- I just can't afford $40-$60 for a single disc...out of my range , sadly

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think I've read on here that the blu-ray audio of Exile is the same audio as the Jap SACD. You might be able to find it much cheaper, since I doubt there was a lot of demand for it.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Japanese SHM-SACDs.

supermd and stef1205 like this.
  16. audiomixer

It won't sound exactly the same, however.

17. walrus

If it's the same mastering, it should? I don't have either, I just recall reading that here somewhere.

18. Adam9

Japanese. The term you used is derogatory. Not trying to be a dick, just educating.:)

mds, Christopher B, Robert C and 6 others like this.
  19. audiomixer

SACD and Blu-ray sound very different side by side.

20. walrus

I would never use that abbreviation when talking about a person or people (or culture!). My apologies...just being a lazy typist today. :\

mds, Christopher B, Solace and 9 others like this.
  21. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

In this case? Should sound the same or very close if the same source and EQ.

Tim

22. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

???

The Japanese Mono Box is fantastic packaging, but the discs are straight CDs. If an SACD version of the box exists, this is the first I've heard of it...

23. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

As far as compilations go, I like the SQ on the CBS Japan for EU "Made In The Shade".

As far as The London Singles and Hot Rocks go, I have both the '89 and the SACD. Mostly because the 2002's have the missing vocal overdub on Ruby Tuesday.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    skisdlimit likes this.
  24. audiomixer

Unfortunately, they don't. It's the SACD standard compared to the Blu-ray standard.

25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Keep it simple:

Abkco Years - 2002 CDs
    70's and beyond - 1994 Virgins which can still be found fairly cheaply

From a personal point of view, I have neither the patience nor the resources to scour the world for the absolute best-sounding Stones CDs. What I listed above will do you just fine.