Rolling Stones - Recommended CD versions as of 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tripecac, May 17, 2017.

1. Col

Col Forum Resident

Bought the CBS Black and Blue a few weeks ago and loved the sound.Decided to try CBS Rewind and it came today and it has a better/warmer sound than Jump back or grrr...love it.This will be my go to-Brown Sugar is the best I've heard it and Start me Up is,finally,crankable.

Shak Cohen and John Grimes like this.
  2. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Wow not the eBay I'm looking at. For just Tatoo You I see prices of $15.00 and on for that Virgin title. I do not see many Virgin Stones CDs really cheap most starting out at $10.00 or more with shipping.

3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I wish I had kept my copy of Rewind. That was an awesomely crankable disc but what did I know? o_O

Man at C&A, TonyCzar and mdm08033 like this.
  4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Interesting. How many albums does this concern?

5. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You got to keep looking. I got Steel Wheels in good condition for .99+2.63 shipping. IOR&R for 1.18+3.99, Stripped for 4.12+0 shipping.

6. Exile On My Street

@MHP

When I first heard the flat transfers I noticed something was 'off' but in my mind I felt it was because these were flat transfers so it was a result of the mastering. Then this thread appeared:

Rolling Stones Flat Transfers incorrect Tempo

I haven't had time to reread it but SF, Exile, IORR and TY were a few that were off, maybe more were mentioned, I don't recall but it wouldn't surprise me if all of them were slower.

At first I wasn't too bothered by all of this (as you can see in the thread) but the more I got to thinking how much I had spent on the SACD's and after re-listening to the Virgins I have to say it has stuck in my craw ever since. Some people aren't bothered by this at all but now I cannot even listen to these.

This is probably what @Edwin Hawley is hearing when he mentioned the SACD's lacked dynamics, he may be picking up on the different pitch due to the slower tempo in comparison to the Virgin copies.

MHP likes this.
  7. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

My advice: be patient. Whenever I have reviewed the prices of these Virgin (the standard ones as those of collector's editions) I find wide variations between one site and another.
    Even the collector's editions (even new and unopened) can be found at reasonable prices in good condition, just look calmly. Some are more difficult than others.
    Many sellers who place prices above $ 15 then end up offering the same CD below those prices. You only have to activate your "hunter" mode if you are looking for one of those particular cds. Some are currently rare and may have a higher cost but in the end with patience you will find them at a better price

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I have both boxes but only played a few of the ABKCO titles and never played any of the 1971 on box. I shall have to check Discogs but did CBS/Columbia ever release any of the 1970s albums on vinyl whilst they had the rights?
    Out of interest does the 2009 Voodoo Lounge use a different mastering to the original Virgin cd?
    Likewise Steel Wheels.

John Grimes likes this.
  9. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I agree with you of course.

10. John Grimes

CD yes. Vinyl, lacking.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

We also established that it is not noticeable unless one has perfect pitch or is playing the SACD side by side with one of the other discs. Sorry you no longer like your SACDs - Mine are some of the best $$ I ever spent.

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Anyone else hear the digital clicks on the Virgin release of You Gotta Move on Love You Live? It's in the bass drum. Not always but some do jump out more than others.

13. Exile On My Street

That's never been established to me because I noticed it, but as I said in my post, I felt it was the fact that these were flat transfers that made them appear that way.

If you follow the thread I even asked about "Start Me Up" because it didn't sound 'right' to me and sure enough, when tested, it was at a slower tempo than the Virgin.

If you enjoy them and feel it's the "best money you ever spent" then great. I feel that if you're going to spend $40 on SACD's in order to get the best sound possible then they ought to at least master them at the correct tempo. o_O

Look upthread, even @Edwin Hawley is noticing that something is 'off'. I would bet this is what he is hearing.

Either way I think it's best that people are aware of this before taking the plunge so that's why I mention it in threads like these. If it's not a problem for them like it isn't for you then sure, these are great.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    John Grimes likes this.
  14. John Grimes

Listen. Exile On Mainstreet SACD or the Platinum SHM I have is the best digital version out there.
    No Issues at all. If I compare that to the Virgin cd,
    I automatically notice The
    EQ hovering over it. Not that that's a bad thing but I prefer it not be there on that Album. It's fine on Tattoo You but not Exile. The SACD and Platinum cd sound more organic, real. The cymbals decay properly. Vocals sound fresh etc. Especially compared with the Virgin cd which now kinda sounds dated with that layer of EQ hovering over it. All just my opinion of course. Do keep in mind that I'm a comparaholic. It is my one true obsession. Thanks.

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

One of the first 3 CD purchases I made and I returned to it so many times over the years (before the loudness wars) that I knew it was something special all along. (Not a brag.)

Highly recommended.

16. Exile On My Street

So true! My introduction to the Stones was Hot Rocks and then Rewind. I remember cranking Rewind so loudly loving the cymbal crashes on Emotional Rescue. Of course I eventually went and got the entire Stones catalogue on CD and no longer felt I needed a compilation disc. ARGH!!

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Edwin Hawley complains that they are compressed, which is factually incorrect. Like I said, the Virgins are a good alternative, but the "tempo issue" on the SACD is not noticeable unless you have perfect pitch. So maybe you do? I followed the thread, and at the time, you still preferred the SACDs, so I wonder what changed...

18. Exile On My Street

Me too...I'm thinking it's the fact that if I had known from the beginning the SACD's had a "tempo issue" I wouldn't have purchased them. But I'll give them another listen, maybe spin Exile today. As @John Grimes pointed out, the Virgin has noticeable EQ hovering over it and that's the drawback there so one day, perhaps, we will get the perfect version.

19. Exile On My Street

I'm listening to the Exile SACD listening to what would be side 4 on the vinyl..

To my ears, while it does sound a tad sluggish in places (Tumbling Dice, the intro to All Down the Line are most noticeable to me) I will say the clarity of the instruments does make this difficult to resist. The acoustic guitars have more shimmer (Loving Cup) and, as @John Grimes pointed out above in post #139, crisper decay on the cymbals.

That's my final verdict, pick your poison.

[​IMG]

20. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Funny how good music sounds when they back off of brickwall mastering huh? Those CBS ones are supposedly the least futzed with, but that's not to say some of the CBS CDs don't have a technical issue here or there.

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Maybe you’re looking at the Ltd Ed versions?

22. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

No, I know those sell for more than standard CDs. I do have the Sticky Fingers Collector's Edition with the real zipper.
    I have found Exile On Main Street-Tattoo You 7 titles for good prices, most under 7.00 a piece. Five of them are Virgins, two are CBS (It's Only Rock N Roll & Emotional Rescue).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    danielbravo likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The problem with Rewind is the the U.S. and U.K. versions were different as were the lp, cassette and cd versions.

You might as well burn a cdr or create a playlist with all of the tracks from all of the versions.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have pirated versions of No. 2 and U.K. versions of Big Hits, Through The Past Darkly, Stone Age and No Stone Unturned all with bonus tracks.

25. Exile On My Street

Different hits, different countries. I miss it for the sound quality, not necessarily the content, which I own in multiple configurations. It was a wonderful sounding disc and super crankable! :cry:

All of the tracks were remastered before 'remastering' was a thing. And pre-loudness wars to boot.