Rolling Stones' "Rock and Roll Circus" coming to DVD!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve-oh, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member Thread Starter

From Billboard:

ABKCO Records is preparing the Rolling Stones' film "Rock and Roll Circus" for DVD release, Billboard.biz reports. The December 1968 concert was filmed for a television special, although it was never broadcast.

In 1996, ABKCO released a CD and videocassette of the event, which also featured performances by the Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull and the Dirty Mac, a supergroup comprising John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell.

Directed by Michael Lindsay Hogg, the film features the Stones performing tunes that had just appeared on their "Beggars Banquet" album: "Parachute Woman," "No Expectations," "Sympathy for the Devil" and a giddy version of "Salt of the Earth." They also performed their current hit at the time, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and premiered "You Can't Always Get What You Want," which would debut the following year on the album "Let It Bleed."

Blink Digital, an independent DVD-authoring facility in New York, is preparing the DVD, which ABKCO hopes to release in the fourth quarter. It will feature a surround-sound mix and bonus content, including never-released performances from the concert and contemporary commentary from participants.

Although nothing came of "Rock and Roll Circus" until recent years, Mahal told Billboard in 1996 that it was a turning point in his career.

"I had been playing in a club in California, and Mick Jagger was in the audience," he recalled. "So I went up to him after the show and said, 'Mick, we got a snowball's chance in hell of making things happen over here. If there's any kind of way we can help you in the U.K., playing on records with you, anything, we'd be glad to.' Three months later, the tickets came in the mail for my band, the road guys, and two of our management people, carte blanche, to go to London and perform in the 'Rock and Roll Circus.'"

As previously reported, the Stones' previously import-only collection "Jump Back" will arrive Aug. 24 in North America via Virgin/EMI Catalog Marketing.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This is a real treat. For those of you who didn't get the VHS or the LD, it's a great performance had by all.

Well, Yoko's in it too. :)

3. GregY

GregY New Member

I love the Yoko part. Seriously!

This is a must-have for me. Hopefully they'll do it right.

4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I´m so happy!!! I love this music!!

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It also has Ivry Gitlis.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

So what performances were filmed but omitted from the VHS release?

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They actually took about 10 hours, maybe more, to film that program, and the Stones repeated their set several times. They also played a bunch of songs that were not intended for the program, I think Route 66 was one of them. I think that some of it wasn't filmed, though, so they may not be available for the DVD.

I hope that it has the ORIGINAL audio, without Keith dubbing over Brian's guitar parts, and maybe an option to turn off Yoko's voice during "Whole Lotta Yoko."

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Are the Keith overdubs on the VHS? I distinctly remember the 25x5 version of "You Can't Always Get What you Want" having an audible acoustic guitar which is all but absent on the current mix. Is that a Keith overdub?

While I'm looking forward to this, I'm always of a "I'll believe it when I see it" persuasion when talk starts going around about ABKCO and "bang-up job" in the same sentence.

9. dkmonroe

Yes, on the VHS and the soundtrack CD, Brian's guitar is wiped on every track except for "No Expectations." Keith overdubbed the rest. The 25X5 version is the original audio. AFAIK, anyway.

10. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I think this appearance of Jethro Tull is right after Mick Abrams left and features a young Tony Iommi (later of Black Sabbath infamy) on guitar.

11. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Why did Keith wipe Brian's guitar? It's not like Brian was playing any loud solos over him or anything.

I do hope the DVD restores Brian's work, otherwise I'll just stick with the VHS I already have.

12. dkmonroe

Oh, the usual. Brian was breathing Keith's air. Cheeky bugger.

I'm sure he thought Brian's playing was not up to snuff or something. I just wish, for the sake of history, people would just leave stuff alone.

13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'll surely pick up this one, but my question always is : who owns the rights to Ladies and Gentleman, The Rolling Stones , and when will this ever come out on a legitimate DVD ? (there are lots of boots of this out there, but I want a legit one). It's a hot performance from the 1972 Tour, with Mick Taylor absolutely scorching on guitar . AFAIK, this has never been put out in any (legit) home video format , and it's tru;y an essential rock n' roll document

14. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Enough of this Stones talk, will there be anymore Lennon or Clapton stuff on this dvd? Rehearsal footage maybe (please).

15. dkmonroe

But, DOOOD! The Stones ROOOOL! :winkgrin:

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Word. I know audio of the Yer Blues rehersal(s) and jams with the Yer Blues lineup circulate but I haven't heard them myself. Are they any good?

17. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Until the legit release of this famous concert film comes along the best version out there is the 4Reel release of Ladies and Gentleman..., and even though it's a boot (cover image attached at URL below), this one IS worth having in your collection; both audio and WS video are very close to broadcast quality, but probably not as impressive as an official DVD release, digitally remastered from the 35mm film negative with properly remixed surround sound. Note: The original film was released with quadraphonic sound. At any rate, to my knowledge, this is the best version out there:

http://www.hotwacks.com/art/uploads/l_g.jpg

:cheers:
    Cat

18. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I think that (or an equally-good version) was just seeded on Sharing the Groove. Excellentastic, it was.

Interesting. So that explains the difference between 25x5 and R&R Circus. I had actually always wondered whether 25x5 was the overdubbed one. It doesn't seem as if Keith *replaced* Brian on R&R circus as much as just erased his part.

19. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah,that's fine & dandy,but how about the 60s promos???

20. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

21. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

ya, but is it awesome?

22. R. Cat Conrad

If you can still spell it then some one needs to pass you the pipe! :winkgrin:

Cat

23. vintageonevinyl

vintageonevinyl Forum Resident

Clapton playing his recently sold stop tail piece ES335 shines! I also like Jesse Ed Davis on a blistering guitar on Taj Mahal's "Ain't That A Lot of Love".

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had thought that this was on DVD already. I would have mastered my Laser Disc to DVD-R by now had I known.

I hope that there remains something cool about the LD when the dust settles. It is a stunning looking transfer.

Jeff

25. R. Cat Conrad

Jeff,

Rock and Roll Circus is available as a region 1 DVD already though not officially released in North America. This title is available currently as an official Brazil release, but it wasn't released (i.e., at least officially) to the U.S. market. Apparently the upcoming release, which will be available in North America and one would assume worldwide at some point, should be a "Special Edition" version that's remastered and upgraded sound-wise. What clues me in is the mention of out-take footage not originally available on the LD release. If they're going to that much trouble, expect some major marketing hype to back it up. I'd expect this to be scheduled for release sometime around the holidays (i.e., probably between Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.