Rolling Stones SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Keep in mind only some tapes were transferred by Astley - the majority of the work was done in NYC by Steve Rosenthal and Teri Landi.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, that's not much, really. ABKCO used the (real) mono mixes almost exclusively for all of the pre-1966 material for their original CDs. Satisfaction, The Last Time, 19th Nervous Breakdown, etc - all in mono only.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Er...how do you remix a mono tape?!

When I said bouncing from tape to tape, I meant mono tape to mono tape. It is unclear if that is indeed how ATGB was done, though, of course.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Perhaps, but of course, that begs the question, where did Bartley get his copies from?

I kind of doubt Bartley had access to Have You Seen Your Mother, as it *still* hasn't shown up anywhere in great sound.

5. KLM

KLM Senior Member

You know its kind of funny. Although the Stones remastered SACD's are delayed a week to 8/27, my weekly Best Buy circular still has them listed as a 8/20 release. They are pricing the individual cds at $12.99 and the double sets at $24.99. Someone goofed and is going to have a lot of unhappy campers at their door this coming Tuesday.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Because of printing deadlines, those circulars are printed weeks in advance. Check the body of the Sunday paper for a correction ad. This also happened last year with a far less anticipated release (at least on this board) -- Mariah Carey's Glitter.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

You are correct. That's also why some USA reissue labels won't put more than a certain number of songs on one CD, even if more will fit. (A person at Capitol told me that, with rare exceptions, they don't put more than 20 songs on one CD.)

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yesman,

Sorry you feel that way because I think Vic Anecini has done outstanding work!

Could you clarify what you mean by "snugly soft"? Do you mean that his mixes tend to sound "smooth"?

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

BTW, I didn't mean to crap on this thread. When I mentioned mono, I was referring to the Singles Collection. I didn't consider that this thread was stereo specific.

This is the first, and probably the last time the Stones ABKO catalog will be upgraded. I'm happy that all the stuff is coming out.

10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

On a tangent - is there any information concerning source tapes and mastering for the "40 Licks" compilation CD? This is the first time that the ABKCO material will be combined with the Atlantic/Columbia/Virgin material. Maybe the Stones themselves have access to some tapes that ABKCO doesn't....

11. kevin

kevin Senior Member

the 40 licks cd'll have the remasterings from the abkco sacd's...on another note i read in the september stereophile that the stones are looking into reissuing the virgin discs in sacd format[remastered again of course]

12. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Here's the link to Best Buy's site, which includes some graphics:

http://www.bestbuy.com/mandm/mm_Features.asp?p=10515&m=254&navpage=1

The Singles box is $39.99 and there's Free shipping. This will probably be the cheapest source for all of them. The site also says they'll be available on 8/27. Yes, they accept pre-orders and no, I don't work for Best Buy! :)

GM

P.S. Singles Box price corrected as above.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good link, but put your glasses on mate. :) $39.99

Regards,
    Geoff

14. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Now, the Virgin Stones SACD's I would give my right arm for. :laugh: :love:

15. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Thanks for the heads up on Best Buy and the link. I immediately canceled my Tower order (they were selling them for $14.99!) and put in a pre order at Best Buy. Although I have to pay sales tax on the Best Buy order and not the Tower order, it still works out much cheaper.

16. 1. It was my understanding from the ABKCO press releases that the stereo version of Satisfaction that will be appearing is a version that already existed, but was rarely or never used before. The version that had accidently appeared on some late 1980s pressing of Hot Rocks was a binuaral mix that they won't be using. ABKCO has stated that they didn't remix anything.

2. If memory serves me well, the stereo version of The Last Time was pretty much a binaural mix. It didn't sound that great. Too bad. The Last Time is my favourite early Stones record. I'd love to hear a nice, narrow, clean stereo mix of that song.

3. While working on a side career, part time in a CD store in the early 1990s, I had a chance to chat with Ron Camilleri of Sony Music Canada one day when he came to visit us. I think Ron was in marketing. (His brother Rick was the president of Sony Music Canada for years). Ron and I began talking about U.S./Canadian compilation CDs vs their UK/European counterparts. Ron confirmed my suspicions as mentioned in the proufo thread. In North America the record companies pay royalties per song. Ron actually said, in the UK and Europe a price is negociated for the whole disc and when that is finalized then they can load the CD with as many songs as will fit the 80 minute format. During this conversation I was showing Ron the Jerry Lee Lewis Bear Family box set. One of the discs I was holding had about 27 or 28 tracks on it.

Tx.

Mike Richards

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Rolling Stones SACD

Well, that mix isn't "binaural" by any sense of the word. It's a straight 3-track mix.

I have *never* heard the new mix before (it is on the sampler CD).

Backing left, lead vocals and guitar solo center, backing vocals right. The mix isn't the greatest, but the fidelity is a lot better than the mono mix. One side note - it fades out 15 seconds before the stereo mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.