Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Absolutely right as this B side is one of the big reasons the Stones debut has a reputation as containing their hardest blues cuts, great arrangement.

2. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Another, largely unknown holy grail is the Five By Five EP that was released in stereo by Decca in 1982 by mistake and quickly withdrawn. A sonic delight. It took me 45 years to find a copy of Mother LIVE, so I know it’s rare, but the figure of 200 pressed seems dubious to me. Why would they have bothered to manufacture the vinyl and print a special mono sleeve if they didn’t have the intention to sell it?

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

I did not know about the 5 x 5 in stereo is it 7" or 12"? I will check it out if i have it, can you provide the dead wax info. Still for me not a big dollar item. As for Hysyml mono the figure i heard was 300 is yours mono or stereo? Don't doubt it as there are major Stones collectors worldwide that have Never sighted a copy. In actual fact the Swedish Guru behind the glorius Stones On Decca ( that no doubt has many uk pressing variations of each title ) website is one of them.
    A poor UK Flowers mono sold last week for $181usd but it did have a promo sticker on the A label.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Rolling Stones - Five By Five

5. All Down The Line

6. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Have You Seen Your Mother LIVE: Mono, yes. I bought one at my local shop in Germany in 1966, just like that, that's why i doubt there were only 200. Then i foolishly swapped it for the stereo, and, as i said, it took me 45 years to find a replacement. The Five by Five 1982 stereo EP is another one that few people have ever seen. An unknown holy grail, if you will.

7. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

It was the first song on their extremely successful first EP.

8. All Down The Line

I find it hard to believe that eas the reason. They could have put it on Green Grass in 66' if it had been THAT important to the band.

9. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

It's not called Through The Past, Darkly without reason. It's not a '67 to '69 compilation. Mothers Little Helper? Sitting on a Fence?

10. All Down The Line

Generally speaking for fans it is, as it is part 2 of 2 parts with no repeat tracks and 10 of the 12 tracks were first released to the public after 1966 inc SOAF. YBMO aside, technically (moreso than logically) speaking you are right due solely to MLH. I guess if you want to you could say it is a 64-69 compilation but that would be highly misleading as it barely compiles 64-66 which were also abundant with singles.

lukpac likes this.
  11. All Down The Line

I am curious to ask you why at the time you swapped your mono HYSYML for a stereo copy? I can fully believe it took you 45 years to find another though. Collectors know the small numbers of the 1969 Promotional Album & the 1965-66 10" German Beat, Beat, Beat (pressed twice) but both show up way more often than the once pressed Have You Seen Your Mother Live. If there were copies around they would not sell for $3000AUD.

12. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Virtually everyone I've spoken to who was a teenager and paying attention to the UK pop charts at the time considered it a UK hit. It was very familiar as the lead track of that EP, in a similar way to Twist & Shout being considered the same by the Beatles.

13. All Down The Line

I agree with that sure so bump it for a B side on the 14 track High Tide compilation.

14. All Down The Line

Did some plants not use the 'sunrise?'

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I always thought it was unfortunate that We Love You wasn't included on the U.S. version of Through The Past, Darkly.

16. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I expect that may be down to publishing percentages on the tracks on there.
    Certainly YBMO was better known than their version of Come On (and charted higher in the NME chart)

17. All Down The Line

Along with other blues standards no doubt but it ain't bad at all.
    Blues from the Dartford Delta.

Hillel abramov likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

So orange swirl promos of Tell Me can't be original?

19. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Yes, the blue swirl label was still in use.

20. All Down The Line

My US mate born in 48' once said that when he heard IAON he knew the Stones had adopted some pop and a slightly more mainstream sound and that they were absolutely around to stay. He was not knocking the track! I always really dug Keith's solo plus the great Dylanish 67' reworking of the song on the Palladium show. I don't enjoy any live renditions from 73' onwards.
    Oh who played the intro?

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

Ok nice theory. I can't see a good reason in 69' to put an old cover (no royalties) unless it maybe to do with Brian's passing?

22. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

The first version available in my record store was the UK mono, and then came a German release in stereo, and, as everyone at the time, i believed stereo to be 'better'. When i actually listened to the horrendous stereo mix and mastering, it was too late.
    About the number of copies made, that's speculation entirely. As with many things Stones, somebody writes something somewhere, people pick up on it, it snowballs and then becomes official knowledge. I think we can agree the UK mono of Have You Seen Your Mother LIVE is almost impossible to find. Mother! I gave 45 years of my life to find you!

23. All Down The Line

Their only GREAT e.p and the these Chess recorded tracks stand head and shoulders above their 12 x 5 neighbours. Great that Chess actually recorded in quality Stereo too and not only Mono. Oh did not ALO do the sleeve notes on the debut lp? 2120 was issued in its full length soon after in Germany & France on the popular album called Around & Around. Also in 1982 the 5 x 5 ep was yet again reissued on 7" in the uk but now for the first (and not last) time on 12" also!

24. All Down The Line

Spot on! There is a brilliant cd b**t called 1000 to 2120 that has all the Chess sessions from June 1964.

stewedandkeefed and ohnothimagen like this.
  25. All Down The Line

Keith. Brian is on Harmonica plus i can't see him overdubbing here.

Parachute Woman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.