Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

No. THe problem was Brian was asked to play sitar on it.

I love this notion that posters here just know that THE FACT that Jones had just taken up the instrument and THE FACT that the line is about as simple as doe ray me had NOTHING to do with each other.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

If so big deal, I for one ain't going to ponder where Brian was on someone's rating scale for sitar dexterity.
    Pointless, now excuse me while i watch (black) Paint dry instead!

3. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

The first RSR CD in the US, ‘mistakenly’ released by Atlantic in 1983

maui jim likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Mistakenly?

5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

the point is rather obvious, and that is that those who claim Paint it, Black is an excellent song do so despite its do ray me main melody line, and the same for the novelty of the sitar.

6. All Down The Line

It is a great song yes!
    This in not "Despite" any of the points you mention.
    I feel so lucky compared to how you seemingly generalise the experience of Paint It Black.
    For me the Sitar is not novel, it is regal and revelatory, in part due to its rudimentary though brilliant application of use.
    It is far more Novel on Norwegian Wood, and iam not being critical of that track in saying this.

7. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

I know this sounds odd, but I remember reading Atlantic were not authorised to release the Still Life CD, which is the main reason why it disappeared quickly and has become a rarity. There seems to be no other 1983 release of this CD anywhere else. I cannot remember the source and a quick search brought no results.

8. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Are the US 12“ Extended and the UK 12“ Dub really two different versions of Undercover Of The Night?

9. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

They are the same song.

Mosthaf likes this.
  10. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I always thought the scarcity of that one was due to the CD being issued just before the contract with Atlantic expired and they signed with CBS.

11. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

What you said and that CBS wanted their product to be the first official CD release of the 71-86 complete catalog.

superstar19 likes this.
  12. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

We had some further discussion on this point earlier in the thread:

13. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

I've always thought the same thing, but it does seem odd that Atlantic put out Still Life on CD, but not Undercover. That Still Life wasn't supposed to be issued in the first place, or that Atlantic was asked to withdraw it and not release anything else, seems plausible.
    And this could be the explanation why. As a compilation capping off the old contract, Rewind could have been an exception.

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

And Atlantic did indeed issue Rewind on CD in '84, in the States only, apparently:

The Rolling Stones - Rewind (1971-1984)

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Atlantic only distributed the catalog in North America at the time.

EMI released their own CD in Japan, with the UK track lineup.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Prior to the CBS CDs, globally distributed since 1986, there were Still Life made for Atlantic in Germany (1983), Undercover in Europe and Japan, both made by EMI Toshiba (1983), Rewind both by Atlantic (made in Germany 1984) and EMI Toshiba (1985) with different track lineups. No albums from the back catalogue. This appears to be rather uncoordinated.

maui jim and superstar19 like this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note that while Still Life was made in Germany, it was for the US market.

Also, a minor point, but the Atlantic Rewind was made in Japan, not Germany.

superstar19 likes this.
  18. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Sigh. Thank you. I kind of knew I would get one thing wrong.
    A lot of research has gone into the London/DECCA/ABKCO CD catalogue and a less into releases under the band‘s control (from RSR to Universal), which is a big world too and more confusing.
    The amount of Japanese releases alone is staggering.

19. All Down The Line

All that was on a VHS tape called "Superstars In Concert 1964-73"

Denim Chicken likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

Where it left him with young women perhaps also?

21. All Down The Line

Allen Klein is not your friend.
    Flowers is what it is but I clearly see your point and had thought that before also, plus I always really wondered what fans thought (who owned Aftermath & Buttons) when they purchased this in mid 1967.
    Flowers is mainly recordings from late 65' to late 66' but the overall quality of most songs is Ooby Dooby!
    I am happy to say I enjoy spinning this LP, especially my UK Mono Export copy.

Sean, maui jim and John Fell like this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure what Klein had to do with the topic at hand, but it doesn't matter, as he's dead.

23. All Down The Line

Klei
    Klein also preferred Marianne Faithfull & was potty over her.
    A double A side.

24. All Down The Line

Absolutely, positively correct!
    The Stones won't say it but what is 100% true is that they worked extremely hard on this record and there was focus!

25. All Down The Line

We Love You on first hearing sounded wild but I soon latched onto the Mellotron, the (once described as Keystone cops) Manic Piano & Mick's lines about "You will never win we, your uniforms don't fit we" which to me showed the frustration busting through the surface, moreso in the vocal than even his direct lyric.

I understand why many prefer the melodic whimsy of the B side to this but I have a garage big enough for both.
    Dandelion may well be the better traditionally written song but this unhinged A side gives You The Stones & what they are about just as they did previously on "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?"
    I know not everyone likes these A sides but I am willing to bet most hardcore Stones nuts love both.

Back in the old Album by Album thread (Esoteric) went to pains to explain the persecution & plight of the band with some emphasis on the current mindset of Jagger, Jones & Richards & their release of for me dark angsty emotions.
    It may not be a great song but it is absolutely a great record!

Dandelion is a great pop psych piece & whenever I hear it I imagine the times and somehow think of the charts, the era's sensibilities & for some reason Magical Mystery Tour era Beatles.
    I guess I am saying it is very evocative all by itself.
    Brian Jones & Nicky Hopkins contribute so much & that is why post 67' nothing sounds like this for the Stones.
    Mick & Keith write the songs but could never shape them like this on their own with such overdubs.

Great period & with satanic just around the corner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.