Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I really like "Get Off My Cloud."
    I think its a really good vocal from Mick and the riff, bass and drums really work together to drive the song along.

As far as not understanding half the words ..
    At the end of the chorus after the line
    "Don't hang around cause two's a crowd" I always thought Mick said
    "Hold my towel baby" :D

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As with Satisfaction, there’s a different stereo mix on boot that is much better than the Hot Rocks 1 mix.

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Since 'Satisfaction' has now come up (and since I had a discussion about this with @lukpac), does anyone else hear marimbas on the song? If I'm remembering correctly, Ian Stewart played marimbas on Good Times recorded on the same day. And I swear I can hear the instrument on Satisfaction (though lukpac doesn't hear it...)

I first heard the 'marimbas' on a reprocessed stereo version that seemed to boost the part. At first I thought I was hearing the buried piano more clearly, until I realised that what I was hearing is not the part the piano played. The 'marimbas' seem to follow the bass line (E going up to A and back again) on the main riff, but played in a higher octave (and very quiet, almost subliminal... which it might be ;)).

The most recent stereo mix is probably the next best version for picking them out (listen to the intro, above the opening riffs). Anyone else hear anything? Or could it just be some kind of overtone?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Probably an overtone, or just the piano part

Aftermath likes this.
  5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

No marimbas on this song.
    “Under My Thumb” though is another story all together.

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've noticed that marimba-like sound as well and think it might just be some harmonic of the bass. I originally thought it was the piano before I heard the true stereo mix--the piano and that harmonic are on opposite channels, so it ruled the piano out.

pablo fanques and slane like this.
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's different to what the piano plays (and yes, it's on the rhythm track and not the overdub track).

It does play a similar riff to the bass (which doesn't rule out overtones), yet it seems to be a different rhythm (repeatedly hammering the A notes while the bass doesn't).

8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Interesting...the harmonic (I think) I'm hearing seems to climb up and down along with the bass line and mimic the rhythm as well. It isn't very loud though, and admittedly difficult for me to discern clearly.

slane likes this.
  9. John54

John54 Senior Member

As I said yesterday, Get Off My Cloud is one of my top six Stones songs. I started very slowly on it but came around later, without even having my head examined (at least not on that account).

I'm Free also happens to be one of my top ten Stones, although perhaps the one with the most tenuous grip. Playing it just now, that descending guitar riff in the bridge reminded me of a nearly identical (but a bit faster) riff in the gap between verses in another song, from 1990 - McCarthy, The Well-fed Point of View:

Sort of like the "I sat on the roof" line that pops up almost identically in Elton John's Your Song and China Crisis's Wishful Thinking ...

Matheusms likes this.
  10. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

This is still one of the great compilations; together with its younger brother, legendary.

D.B. and RogerB like this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Not a big fan of "Get Off Of My Cloud". Keith is right regarding the production, it's a little messy, but messy production was sort of an Andrew Oldham trademark, wasn't it?
    "I'm Free" is a better song IMO, except for that infamous little drum screwup (see below)...can't believe they actually let that got out that way.
    "The Singer Not The Song" is alright, except those guitars are a bit out of tune...
    Not sure why they let "I'm Free" out that way- did they think nobody would notice Charlie's f--k up?

12. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next, we have a song released as an A-side in America and as a B-side (on tomorrow's single) in the UK:

As Tears Go By (1965)

[​IMG]
    Released: 12/65 (US)
    B-Side: Gotta Get Away
    Charts: #6 (US)

"As Tears Go By" was one of the first original compositions by Jagger and Richards, as until that point The Rolling Stones had chiefly been performing blues standards. A story surrounding the song's genesis has it that Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham locked Jagger and Richards in a kitchen in order to force them to write a song together, even suggesting what type of song he wanted: "I want a song with brick walls all around it, high windows and no sex." The result was initially named "As Time Goes By", the title of the song Dooley Wilson sings in the film Casablanca. It was Oldham who replaced "Time" with "Tears".

"We thought, what a terrible piece of tripe. We came out and played it to Andrew [Oldham], and he said 'It's a hit.' We actually sold this stuff, and it actually made money. Mick and I were thinking, this is money for old rope!"[3]

According to Jagger biographer Philip Norman, the song was mainly created by Jagger, in co-operation with session guitarist Big Jim Sullivan.[4]

Oldham subsequently gave the ballad (a format that the Stones were not yet known for) to Faithfull, then 17, for her to record as a B-side. The success of the recording caused the record company, Decca, to switch the song to an A-side, where it became a very popular single. The melody features a distinctive oboe line.[5] The demo had Mick Jagger singing and Big Jim Sullivan playing 12-string guitar. It reached no. 9 in the British charts and launched Faithfull's career as a major singer. The song entered the Billboard Hot 100 in America the week ending 28 November 1964, where it stayed for nine weeks peaking at no. 22. Faithfull also performed the song on the television show Hullabaloo, in the segment presented by Beatles manager Brian Epstein from London.

It is sometimes said that the song was written as an answer to the Beatles' "Yesterday", a strings-driven ballad that became one of the band's biggest hits in 1965. However, this is false: "As Tears Go By" was written at least one year before "Yesterday"'s parent album, Help!, was even released. However, the Rolling Stones may have been influenced by "Yesterday'"s particular arrangement. The Rolling Stones changed the arrangement from Faithful's 1964 version to one that more closely resembled the arrangement of "Yesterday", which may have been intentional given that the new arrangement was recorded while the Beatles' song was topping charts all over the world, including the US Billboard Hot 100. Marianne Faithful's 1964 version of "As Tears Go By" features percussion and strings throughout; the Rolling Stones' version completely lacks percussion and opens with acoustic guitar followed by strings entering in the second verse, just as in "Yesterday".

The Rolling Stones recorded their own version of "As Tears Go By" in 1965. This recording is notable for its heavy string arrangement by Mike Leander. It was one of the three songs (including "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "19th Nervous Breakdown") that the band performed live during their third appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. It was released as a single in December 1965 by their North American record label, London Records, due to popular demand after radio DJs across the country started playing it from the band's recently released album, December's Children (And Everybody's). It peaked at no. 6 on the American Billboard Charts, and also had great success on the Billboard Easy Listening chart (no. 10 peak) years before the seemingly more wholesome Beatles would see their first entry. The song was later released in the UK in 1966 as the B-side to the single, "19th Nervous Breakdown".

The Stones released a version with Italian lyrics as a single in Italy, under the title "Con Le Mie Lacrime".[6]

The song was performed live on tour for the first time in November 2005 on the Stones' "A Bigger Bang Tour". A performance from the 2006 leg of the tour was captured for the 2008 concert film Shine a Light and the accompanying soundtrack album. On 11 July in Milan the Stones performed the song with the Italian lyrics.[7] The song was performed as a duet between Jagger and Taylor Swifton 3 June 2013 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois, for the band's "50 & Counting" tour.[8]

Personnel[edit]

superstar19 and ohnothimagen like this.
  13. Parachute Woman

Here is Marianne Faithfull's version of "As Tears Go By," released in 1964 and reaching #9 on the British charts:

14. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Here's another and I think very interesting cover of Satisfaction, Blue Cheer's rather psychedelic version:

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. Hardy Melville

The sequence of Stone through Last Time, then Satisfaction, then Cloud, was truly awesome, but even at the time I don't think I preferred Satisfaction. Cloud was very good, with a proto punk feel, Charlie really rocking it. Imo the lyrics to Cloud were as good as any Jagger ever penned. Very aggressive and effective.

I'm Free was a great B side, too. Great guitar tones here. I'm Free was on the set list for the 69 tour, and not without some controversy as they seemed to have trouble deciding on tempo and the arrangement. Not included on Ya Ya's, I have a bootleg called Live'R than You'll Ever Be with Free on it, and they slow it down with a great lead by Mick Taylor. Awesome. But the original is great, too.

This run of four singles was one of the best ever. As Tears Go By was less effective, and I frankly preferred the Marianne Faithful version.

The MEZ and Parachute Woman like this.
  16. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

It looks like I fell behind. I’ll play catch up in chunks.

Satisfaction
    This song speaks for itself. It’s obviously a great song, as well as one of The Rolling Stones’ first true classics and one of the best rock songs ever. You could even make a case for this song as the moment when “rock & roll” became “rock.”

The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
    This is one of my favorites of the Stones’ early B-sides. I think this is when they finally mastered the art of writing a blues rock original in their own style. It has that driving bluesy sound and those satirical lyrics that make it pure early Stones.

The Spider and the Fly
    I had never heard this song before. This is another very good bluesy original that shows The Stones really growing into their own style of blues rock originals.

The MEZ and Parachute Woman like this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"As Tears Go By"

A curious change of pace for Mick.

It also proves John's case when he said something along the lines of "Everything we did, The Stones copied six months later." [actual quote needed]

18. Parachute Woman

Here's the live version of "I'm Free" from Live'R Than You'll Ever Be:

Absolutely amazing! This boot was so good and so popular, Decca was forced to put out Ya-Ya's in response. :)

19. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

And from the extended Ya-Yas

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. Parachute Woman

Here is John Lennon on the Stones from the 1970 Rolling Stone interview:

"I think it's a lot of hype, you know. I like Honky Tonk Women. I think Mick's a joke with all that fag dancing and I always did. I enjoy him, you know, when I see his films and all that. Really, he's a joke....I think Mick got jealous. I always was very respectful of Mick and the Stones but he said a lot of tarty things about the Beatles, which I'm hurt by. I can knock the Beatles, but don't let Mick Jagger knock them. I'd like to just list what we did and what the Stones did two months after on every ****ing album and every ****ing thing we did Mick does exactly the same. He imitates us. I'd like one of you ****ing underground people to point it out. Let It Bleed...Satanic Majesties is Pepper. We Love You, man, it's ****ing ********. That's All You Need is Love. I resent the implication that Stones were revolutionaries and the Beatles weren't. If the Stones were or are, the Beatles really were. They're not in the same class, music-wise or power-wise. Never were and Mick always resented it. I never said anything. I always admired them because I liked their funky music and I liked their style. I like rock 'n roll. I like the direction they took after they got over trying to imitate us."

I suppose this conversation had to come up at some point in the thread, though I do sort of hate to open this can of worms. I'm a Lennon fan, but I think this quote really shows a lot of the contradictory crap he often said. He was always respectful of the Stones, but he also thinks Mick is a joke with all that "fag dancing"? I can see Beatles influence on some Stones records in the mid-'60s, but John completely and utterly overstates it. In what way is Let It Bleed a ripoff of the Beatles? It was released on the 5 of December 1969. "Let It Be" (the song) came out in March 1970. Apart from coincidentally similar titles, there is no musical similarity whatsoever. The cover of Satanic is definitely a rip on Pepper, but musically they have very little in common and I think it sounds more like Piper at the Gates of Dawn. This leads me to...

As Tears Go By
    As the Wiki article states, the arrangement is almost certainly influenced by the arrangement on "Yesterday." However, the composition itself is from 1964 and is one of the earliest Jagger/Richards songs in existence. It was released as a single in the US because radio was playing it. People wanted to hear it, because it's a damn good song. I've always loved it. I think it has a beautiful melody. It was used beautifully in the fifth season finale of one of one of my favorite TV shows (House) and it was one of my favorite song selections on TV ever.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. Nothing much to say about "As Tears" other than it shows that the band did indeed sometimes believe in 'yesterday'...

Missed out on "Get Off My Cloud" - have to say this was as strong a follow-up as anyone could reasonably expect to such a groundbreaking milestone as "Satisfaction" - fantastic energy in the performance (gotta love those signature Charlie snare fills), and a funny take on the travails of celebrity by Mick. Has held up really well over the years. Also love the B-side "I'm Free" despite the overall sloppiness - very nice interlocking guitar work by Keith and Brian to create a coolly bittersweet vibe.

22. Hardy Melville

^
    Yeah, the timing argues against seeing Tears as influenced, at least directly, by Yesterday or anything else the Beatles had done. I think it was written intentionally for Marianne to use, with her voice very much in mind. Which to me made it surprising they would then do it later.

Not to digress here but it's an interesting comparison to take her version of Sister Morphine up against the Stones' version. No Ry Cooder, but hers has a rather chilling effect that arguably goes beyond even what the Stones did.

23. Hardy Melville

I also agree Cloud was a very strong follow to Satisfaction. Jagger may have complained about having to come up with a follow, but of course they were going to have to do that. They weren't going to retire, obviously. Not sure exactly what his problem is with Cloud.

The MEZ likes this.
  24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I agree that Lennon really overstates it but I think he was trying to make a point, the overall point I agree with...not a knock on the Stones at all, they were heavily influenced by the Fabs as was everyone else! However they were able to channel their influence with nods here and there and the overall result being a totally different song with its own vibe. We Love You is NOT All You Need Is Love, that's just silly...even if you did sing on it John...

and now we move on to the period that completely rocks my world..

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"As Tears Go By" I can do without but I like "Gotta Get Away".

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.