Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Poison Ivy is among my favorite early Stones covers. Something about it just seems so punchy to me. I always pictured Keith and Brian practically jumping up and down to slash their guitar strings.

Hillel abramov likes this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

Not Fade is a cool track with the infectious beat Bo Diddley beat. They used to open their shows with it in the early years. It was a nice surprise when they broke out a live version again for the Voodoo Lounge tour.

I like the groove on Little By Little as well. It is one of my favorites from their debut album. Little By Little has a co-writing credit from Phil Spector along with the Nanker-Phelge band credit.

3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I think Oldham was there when Mick and Keith started that acoustic Bo Diddley treatment and he saw it as a step forward and a "new sound" which was right. It was convincing, and fresh, and he saw a single in it then. Rocking on an acoustic guitar: I guess it came from the Everlys, but it was a big step into the 60s.

Isn't little by little a spector co-write?

Parachute Woman likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, Spector co-wrote it.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Not Fade Away" is great. They took Buddy's song and gave it such drive, such bite.

6. Recorded at the end of the Jan. '64 sessions for their first LP, "Fade Away" represents a big leap forward - the production for a change actually works to the benefit of the track with everything ringing thru clear as a bell, and Mick shows how much confidence he's gained as a lead vocalist, displaying a new command here that far exceeds his somewhat pedestrian, generic efforts to this point. The band liked it well enough to mostly retain it in their live set all the way through the Fall '66 U.K. tour several years later.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In a recent thread where we had to choose our top 5 Rolling Stones songs, I chose "Not Fade Away" as one of them. I wrote, "The Stones took a Buddy Holly song inspired by Bo Diddley and brought it back to Bo. A minute and 50 seconds, give or take, of pure energy."

There is so much to love about this performance, from its halting beginning to the machine-gun guitar licks to the wild harmonica playing throughout. I don't think America was quite ready for this in 1964.

"Little by Little" has the interesting songwriting credit of "Phelge-Spector" -- yes, that Spector, as in Phil. He was in England and in the studio during the sessions for this single and several other songs that appeared on the Stones' debut album. "Little by Little" was first issued in the U.S. on their debut album, which is generally known as England's Newest Hit Makers.

As a side note, Gene Pitney was also involved in the sessions for the first LP -- he is mentioned in the subtitle of "Now I've Got a Witness (Like Uncle Phil and Uncle Gene)." While in England in November 1963, he recorded "That Girl Belongs to Yesterday," the first released recording of a Mick Jagger-Keith Richards composition (with a credit on the label of "K. Richards-M. Jagger") as opposed to one credited to "Nanker Phelge." Andrew Oldham received a co-producer's credit on the 45, which debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 on January 18, 1964 but stalled at only #49, a poor performance for Pitney in that era.

Starting with "Not Fade Away" and continuing to the end of the London tears, every U.S. 45 had a picture sleeve. It's my experience that most of these 1960s sleeves rarely show up, especially in collectible condition. On a rarity scale of 1 to 10 (easy to impossible), "Not Fade Away" is a 7 or 8.

Also, every London 45 (except the deleted first one) remained officially in print for years. Label designs would change, and the prefix would change from "45-" or "45 LON" (depending on pressing plant) to "5N" in 1974. But you could walk into a well-stocked record store in the 1980s and still buy the Stones' London singles with the original catalog numbers.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Not Fade Away
    I think this is The Rolling Stones’ first really good single on both its A and B side. This is probably my favorite version of this song (except for the Grateful Dead’s live performances)

Little By Little
    I like this song a lot. It’s provably the Stones’ first really good original songs and one of their best early attempts at blues rock. It’s surprising that this is a B side, because it’s a very good song in its own right.

9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I seem to recall reading a quote from Keith once in which he discussed the fact that when he and Mick first started writing songs, they were all slow ballad type stuff like this, rather than rockers. I can't find the quote. It's a pretty dramatic, early '60s type ballad. Gene's a great singer, though, and sings the hell out of it.

10. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Little by little although a Stones composition is in fact a recreation of Shame Shame Shame written and recorded long before the Stones by Jimmy Reed . The stones used the same tune with new words. It's interesting to know that in 1974 the covered Shame themself and done a very good job.

11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Not Fade Away

Really like the drums on this. It's a cool song, but kind of a curio. I prefer the Dead version.

Little By Little

Love this. This is where I first hear Mick's vocal swagger. The guitars groove, and the harmonica is a nice bonus.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Can't add anything to what's already been said about Not Fade Away -- it's simply great. I only wish many of these classics had been better recorded, but dicey recordings or no I still listen to them regularly all these decades later. Little By Little is a lotta fun as well.

ohnothimagen and Parachute Woman like this.
  13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Engineer Chris Farley on the sessions at Regent Sound for Not Fade Away and other tracks from that period:

"The idea of the sound--it was like a performance sound. I think that's what [Andrew] was really trying to get out of the studio. When they came in, I'd never seen any of them before... They all played really well. What you hear there is a performance. You couldn't do anything with it afterwards. It was finished. Everything went really easy. Some of them, they came in and did again. They took it away and had a listen to it and came back and had another go. I got on all right with all of them. Charlie was easygoing. He came in with his new overcoat and put it over his bass drum."

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Not Fade Away" was just giving Buddy Holly that Bo Diddley beat but it still showed a way forward for The Stones.

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

This is great, great, great :thumbsup:

Even with Little by Little already on their first LP, I'd have been happy to have this on It's Only Rock and Roll.

Hillel abramov likes this.
  16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, this Reed cover is fantastic. Just reminds me how much I would love a really exhaustive rarities/b-sides collection from this band. The Rarities 1971-2003 collection from 2005 was such an incomplete mess.

17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Agree completely. :righton: A box set of unreleased studio outtakes would be a wonderful thing.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Rarities even managed to omit some of the non-lp studio b-sides. I would have rather had those than the remixes and different edits.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

This is a cool release. It is a 2 cd bootleg set that gathers live b-sides and live rarities (Japan only & promo etc. ) from 1971-2003

The Live B-Side Anthology
    Disc 1 (RS 235)
    1. Let It Rock - from The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar / Bitch / Let It Rock
    2. Mannish Boy (Edit Version) - from The Rolling Stones - Sucking In The Seventies
    3. When The Whip Comes Down - from The Rolling Stones - Sucking In The Seventies
    4. Beast Of Burden - from Rolling Stones* - Going To A Go Go (Live)
    5. I Just Want To Make Love To You - from RollingStones* - Highwire
    6. Play With Fire - from RollingStones* - Highwire
    7. Undercover Of The Night - from RollingStones* - Ruby Tuesday
    8. Harlem Shuffle - from RollingStones* - Ruby Tuesday
    9. Timbling Dice - from Rolling Stones* - Jumpin Jack Flash
    10. Gimmie Shelter - Taken from EMI TC ORDER 1 UK Cassette Single 1993
    11. Factory Girl (2nd Version) - from RollingStones* - Highwire
    12. Street Fighting Man - from Rolling Stones* - Jumpin Jack Flash
    13. 2000 Light Years From Home - from RollingStones* - Highwire
    14. I Go Wild - from Rolling Stones* - I Go Wild
    15. Black Limousine - from The Rolling Stones - Like A Rolling Stone
    16. All Down The Line - from The Rolling Stones - Like A Rolling Stone
    17. Live With Me - from The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
    18. Gimmie Shelter - from The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
    19. Angie - from The Rolling Stones - Bridges To Babylon

Disc 2 (RS 236)
    1. Tumbling Dice - from The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
    2. Like A Rolling Stone (Edit Version) - from The Rolling Stones - Like A Rolling Stone
    3. I Just Want To Make Love To You - from The Rolling Stones - No Security
    4. Out Of Control (Don Was Live Remix) - from USA promo only cd single Out Of Control 1998 VIRGIN DPRO 13159
    5. Memory Motel (Edit Version) - from Rolling Stones* Featuring Dave Matthews - Memory Motel
    6. Gimmie Shelter (Edit Version) - from The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
    7. Jumpin' Jack Flash - from Warner Four Flicks Audio Promo Sampler 2003
    8. If You Can't Rock Me - from Rolling Stones* - Live Licks
    9. Honky Tonk Women - from Warner Four Flicks Audio Promo Sampler 2003
    10. Thru And Thru - from Rolling Stones* - Rarities 1971-2003
    11. Before They Make Me Run - from The Rolling Stones - Biggest Mistake
    12. Hand Of Fate - from The Rolling Stones - Biggest Mistake
    13. Dance Part 1 - from The Rolling Stones - Biggest Mistake
    14. Stray Cat Blues - from Warner Four Flicks Audio Promo Sampler 2003
    15. Jumpin' Jack Flash - from Warner Four Flicks Audio Promo Sampler 2003
    16. Undercover Of The Night - from Shine A Light, Japanese edition UICY-90794~5

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Not Fade Away, and yes we're getting into the "recognizable" tracks, from my own perspective at least. It's pretty cool that an artist, Bo Diddley, has his own "beat" named after him!

I thought I read some years back that Joe Strummer decided to become a musician after hearing Not Fade Away. However, Wikipedia credits Little Richard, the Beach Boys and Woody Guthrie.

Aftermath likes this.
  21. good song would have loved a stones version

22. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

I seem to recall reading a quote from Keith once in which he discussed the fact that when he and Mick first started writing songs, they were all slow ballad type stuff like this, rather than rockers. I can't find the quote. It's a pretty dramatic, early '60s type ballad. Gene's a great singer, though, and sings the hell out of it.

:kilroy: This was released at around the same time as "That Girl Belongs To Yesterday." Both sides are Jagger & Richards tunes. The second one ("It Should Be You" which begins at around 2:43) has pretty much the same melody as the Clovers' 1952 hit "One Mint Julep." It's also on YouTube if anyone's curious.

Freek999, Aftermath and Purple Jim like this.
  23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Shave and a haircut two bits. Also Hambone...but he got to name the beat with his namesake hit despite it having been floating around for quite some time here and there.

danasgoodstuff and John54 like this.
  24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Like Lennon & McCartney, Jagger & Richards also wrote quite a bit of give-away tunes, and not all of them wound up on side one of "Metamorphosis." This noisy monstrosity is also from early 1964. One can easily imagine Andrew saying to the boys, "You know, He's Sure The Boy I Love is a great tune. Why don't you two try writing something that sounds like it? Leave it to me to add on all the whistles and bells."

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Not Fade Away much better. :D:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.