Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" 2015 Polydor vinyl record edition: sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The DR numbers are not meaningless when captured from vinyl. But I think one needs perfect levels recorded to begin with. It can give you an idea where the recording stands.

2. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Let me know how you make out - I'd rather not go through the hassle of sending back my copy either and then waiting for another one. Would be nice if they just send a replacement.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I wasn't expecting much, but it sounds pretty damn good! It's a little bright for my tastes, but the low end is better than I've ever heard it. My pressing played very quiet...but looked terrible. Fingerprints and junk all over it.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  4. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I'm hoping they get back with me tomorrow and tell me they are going to send out another one and that I can keep the damaged copy. I'll let you know.

5. teag

teag Forum Resident

The dead wax information on my LP that stated Made in Holland on the shrink:

side one: 0602537648214 A
    Side two: 0602537648214 B

Listened to this over the weekend and it sounded good. Can only compare to a Spanish import (really bad sound) and a 1972 Record Club of America which has multiple scratches but sounds pretty good. About on a par with the Record Club version.

Stefano G. likes this.
  6. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Received an email today from Roseanne at SF Redemption Customer Service. She emailed prepaid postage and an RA number to return the damaged disc. I wrote back that I had to throw away the original mailer because it was rain soaked and damaged. I asked her to send me another disc and I'll use the replacement mailer for the damaged disc. I'll let you know where it goes from here.

7. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Heard back quickly from the SF Redemption Customer Service and they are now just going to send me a replacement copy but they are currently out of stock. At least I don't have to send mine back now!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. Randu

Randu Senior Member

The only way to open the Target lp is to tear off the cardboard mailer.
    There is no re-using that

9. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I just bought the 2 LP Czech LP of Sticky Fingers and it is one of the noisiest, crappy pressings I have ever heard

-->I had to turn it off, I couldn't make it past "Wild Horses" because the static & surface noise was so bad!!

it is 2015, is it so hard to press consistent records? has anyone else got good copies of this?

not happy

10. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Mine needed a good cleaning, but it did clean off well and sounds great

11. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

looking forward to the target vinyl - cd was okay, will be alright for iPod in the car.

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:yikes: Terrible! Whoever last handled the record must've had sticky fingers. :cussing:

13. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I received my Target LP copy today. I was able to gently cut into the side of the package and remove the record and preserve the package, so it should be no problem for you. Appears that mine was shipped from Kentucky.

The Target 2CD+LP was a great bargain and it was mailed quickly and within a well secured packaging.

I would not bet on these staying in stores very long.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Planning on spinning mine tonight. Looking at it it was kind of a mess. We shall see.

15. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

My Czech copy was perfect outside of a light tick on the intro to "Dead Flowers" and a duplicate lp1, but a good cleaning took the tick right out and with the bonus disc that was sent, it is as minty as it can be.

jon9091 likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Mine sounds fine so far. I am pleased!
    This sounds great!!! Hearing a lot of details I never noticed before.

Rickchick and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  17. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

yes, mine had finger marks on it as well but I ran it thru the cleaner

I will clean it again & see if it makes a difference, thanks

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

.....or thought "Fingerprint File" was on it;)

Huck Caton, jamesmaya and jon9091 like this.
  19. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Not mine....:unhunh:

20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have two, one I framed and the other is mint - pressing I play occasionally. For cd it's the virgin 94. I did order the Spanish cover limited edition. I'm keeping that one sealed and re-selling it at a later time.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:righton:

22. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I came home after beoing away for a few days to my super deluxe edition, listening to it now on my planar headphones powered by my 11wpc
    tube monoblocks. The original album sounds very good, but it is quite loud. Can't You Hear Me Knocking sounds almost the best I've heard
    besides the 2014 SHM SACD and the '94 Virgin releases, but has more focus, clarity, dynamics on this CD edition that would be almost identical
    to the SHM SACD, but does have and upper mid-lower treble glare that's not bad but noticeable. Which will be my go-to edition will be a tough
    one, but will have an answer in a month or two. Yeah, it's loud and must have a low DR value, but it does sound quite good and will need to be
    listen to first before you determine via DR values if you'll like this latest edition or not.....

Some of the packaging I could have done without, for I have 10-12 other editions of Sticky Fingers and am only interested in sound quality now
    vs upper shelf packaging. This DE shoulda had a bluray high resolution disc included for the price paid along with the numerous other editions
    I've shelled out good money for that shoulda rewarded the true fan and not the casual one....

Stefano G. likes this.
  23. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Just picked this up today, listening to disc 1-so far, so good. Some pops, and yes, one fingerprint on side 1 of the first LP, but I haven't cleaned it yet.
    Highlights:

Wild Horses-Wow, great instrument separation, lead guitar sounds awesome, vocals sound clear, snare drum sounds like its in the room
    Can't You Hear Me Knocking?-Again,snare drum sounds crystal clear, cymbals too, instrumental break sounds more detailed than I've ever heard it-sax sounds incredible, Mick's guitar solo sounds better than ever.
    You Gotta Move-More popping here, not enjoying the low end on this one, and the cymbal crashes are a bit bright
    Bitch-OK, here is the awesome, very dynamic and punchy
    I Got The Blues-more popping, but the instrumentation throughout, and especially in the introduction, is the clearest I've ever heard this
    Dead Flowers-I notice the lead guitar more in this version than in others I've heard-also, the acoustic guitar and drums sound great

A good listen.

Bonus disc: Had to clean this one as the pops were so bad from the first track. After cleaning, loud pops were gone, but still some static.

Brown Sugar-a nice alt. version, like the slide guitar, can't tell what Eric Clapton is playing-therefore, he must be playing slide by default
    Wild Horses-really like this version, vocals sound great-right up front
    Can't You Hear Me Knocking-Sounded like they were going for a Sympathy For The Devil vibe here. Interesting version, but the awesome instrumental is missing and has been replaced by a Monday night open mic jam that just fizzled out at the end.
    Bitch-sounds good, horns are nice and up front on the breaks, has more of a raw and live feel-nothing else insightful to say here-nice track.
    Dead Flowers-Me Likee, vocals give different feel, but I like this version a lot.

Thats all for today. Gotta run.

YouKnowEyeKnow and Stefano G. like this.
  24. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Finally opened my 2LP deluxe, and I can't do a sound review. Nice manufacturing/packaging defect. LP1 got stuck in one of the sleeve tabs so there's glue remnants and paper shards at the outer edge. Didn't realize what it was until I looked into the album sleeve. Back to amazon!

25. peter

peter Senior Member

Just got my 2 Spanish cover copies today in the mail. I bought 2 in case 1 arrived damaged. However, both are flawless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.