Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" Deluxe Edition Due June 8th! (Thread 002) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Except on "Sympathy For The Devil". On that, he's on fire.

cc-- likes this.
  2. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Spinning the Target bonus LP, mine had a Made in France sticker on wrapper, sounds fantastic. It was nice to say to the girlfriend that it was free after all the deliveries that have arrived lately from CDJapan, Amazon UK, Amazon US, and now the Target freebie. Next week, The Who at Shea 1982 drops, excited for that too. I can't understand half the words Mick says in Can't You Hear Me Knocking, even after 40 years of listening to cassette, CBS & Virgin CD's, SHM-SACD, and this new vinyl, and I don't care! It rocks in any language!!

3. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I got the Spanish cover 2LP from Urban Outfitters at 14th St. / 6th Ave. today. There were at least 3 copies left.

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, the cover is top loading and has a matte finish. The back has a color version of the photo where Bill Wyman is touching his nose. The inner sleeves have that same photo on one and the non-smiling pic from the same photo session on the other, both with the tongue logo on the reverse.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

How does it sound.....any issues with the vinyl or did you get a clean copy?

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I went to Urban Outfitters and they could not confirm that they ever got it in. Maybe 8 copies come in for the entire LA area stores he said.

So they ordered me one for home delivery and it's on back order until 7/24.

I have my doubts but we we see.

I really want all the live '71 material on vinyl, it's the way my Stones collection has always been.

Looking forward to hearing this stuff in improved quality.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  6. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Went for a stroll and some bbq with my lady this evening and happened by an Urban Outfitters...jackpot!

[​IMG]

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There's currently no promotion for it, but Sticky Finger Live is now up on iTunes. It's the album as performed by the band earlier this year at the Fonda Theatre.

The show was not only professionally recorded, but professionally filmed as well, so I would expect a physical release somewhere down the line.

8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Nice find. Looks like it's just the Sticky Fingers portion of the show. Wonder if the future plans include the complete show?

9. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Completely dig that... Yes I do..:righton:

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have the standard copy and really am happy with it. I was torn on whether to buy the Spanish cover version or not. The UO website said back ordered until 7/15 when I got there. I kind of have my doubts a bit too but that tipped me over the edge. I ordered one and I'll just leave it up to fate as to whether I actually get it or not. That way I'm only partly to blame.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm fine too either way. I'm not stressing over it, life's too short.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Can anyone confirm where the Spanish cover shipped from the Rolling Stones website is printed? Did anyone receive copies that were damaged or very dirty vinyl that skips?

13. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Sounds OK to me but I'm no authority.

14. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

The Fonda show is up on iTunes...

Search for "sticky fingers live"

Just the 10 songs from the album...

$9.99

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am guessing there will be a dvd/cd release of this in the near future so I am holding out for now.

16. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Just got the Deluxe 2 CD set from Best Buy. Anyone else think it's strange seeing a Capitol logo on a Stones album? :)

MRamble and mick_sh like this.
  17. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

anyone else surprised that the alternate take of "Bitch" has horns on it? I would have thought those would have been about the last thing overdubbed onto the album take. Either 1) they played along at the tracking session -- which seems unlikely; 2) the band wasn't sure which was "the" take and put horns on more than one -- a little less unlikely?

I picked up an in-store copy at Urban Outfitters of the 2LP "Spanish" set ... never really a fan of this cover, but I thought it would be reproduced a little better -- it looks glossier on the web site. Vinyl is pretty dirty but well pressed. Sound is good -- the main album sounds better than my late '70s copy, I'd say, despite being cut from the 2009 file.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  18. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

FWIW, according to this site - http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm - it's option #2.

Because it's so close to the final version, I would not be surprised if they were making an attempt at a final take for the backing track (hell, Mick even has most of the lyrics well in place for his final master vocal take), Besides being extended, the instrumental track is pretty close to the master. The only other significant thing I can think they're still missing from the master are the vocal/guitar/horn parts for the outro ("hey, hey, hey..."hey, hey, hey"/etc). That seemed to be the last major component of the song yet to be added - the best way to end the song. I would not be the least bit surprised if most of the horn parts present on this alternate were kept as overdubs (as opposed to having Price & Keys repeatedly playing the same parts - which, as you say, would seem odd), and that the bulk of the later/"non-extended" segment of the instrumental track on this take was kept for the master...

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

GZ sucks!

20. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hi all,

Just received my package from The Rolling Stones Store, all the way from the UK to Australia. I'm at the office so have not played the records yet.

I ordered The Spanish Cover 2 LP set and the standard single LP. I've opened them up to check the condition of the vinyl.

Spanish Cover: Disc 1 has smudges, fingerprints, and white spots (paper residue I assume) on both sides. No scratches I can see. Disc 2 is clean save for the paper residue.

Disc 1 Matrix: Side A - 3764821-A Side B - 130676E2/A
    Disc 2 Matrix: Side A - 3764826-C and 130676E3/C Side B - 130676E4/A and 3764826-D

Standard Cover: Clean as a whistle on both sides.

Matrix: Side A - 0602537648214 A Side B - 0602537648214 B

Both albums have Made in the EU printed on their labels.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

Isn't it just that the 'extended' take is the master take, but before editing and using the original guide vocal and an alternate lead guitar track instead of the 'finished' overdubs? In which case the horn overdubs are on the tape and available for this new mix.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Mark Wilson likes this.
  22. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Finally enjoying my first opportunity to REALLY open up the volume on this, and it is so very killer sounding to these ears. I am still somewhat puzzled by the main lp being in such need of a repeated cleaning from the outset. Its playing quite sweetly the more I clean it thankfully. The bonus disc was perfection from the first drop of the needle.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

I was just buying milk at Whole Foods (everyone's favorite vinyl dealer) when I saw the new French Sticky Fingers vinyl LP, the same one I got for free when I bought the 2 CD set at Target. Whole Foods price was $26.99. And they had the single CD version for $17.99, So I felt pretty good.

johnny q likes this.
  24. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

it could be that ... but with the different, rawer mix I can't tell. Any landmarks to listen for in the bass and drums? Still seems odd to have the horns there before editing.

25. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

After a Spin Clean both LPs of the two-record reissue play great - flat and quiet.

The sound of the reissue is somewhat cleaner and leaner than the original - less muddy, you can hear the lyrics and instruments more clearly.

But it is a little less warm and rich sounding than the original, which I also have.

One isn't better than the other. They are just a little different.

The cuts on the second LP are outstanding. If you are going to bother buying the reissue, get the double album.

I'm listening to it now (again). My favourite Stones record.

YouKnowEyeKnow and Dave Hoos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.