Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Price still the same. So far, so good!

Philrock90 and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

I’ll buy this box and no sell my previou lp’s

3. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

I can confirm that my pre-order price hasn’t changed either, good times. Hope it comes with the WAV downloads though...

4. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

Yes....:)

5. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

My Amazon pre order is still good. I think they would have s**t canned these by now if they were going to cancel them.

6. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I think this is worth it only for the last five records:
    Steel Wheels (1989)
    LP complete with original inner sleeve and sales insert

Voodoo Lounge (1994) (2LP)
    2LP gatefold sleeve with original lyric inners

Bridges To Babylon (1997) (2LP)
    2LP with original lyric inners

A Bigger Bang (2005) (2LP)
    2LP gatefold sleeve with original lyric inners

Blue & Lonesome (2016) (2LP)
    2LP gatefold sleeve with original inners

Due to the higher resolution digital mastering. Which is presumably 96/24. Like I think Exile was.
    The original vinyl of Steel Wheels was, if I recall right, 44.1/16.
    I don't remember how it was recorded.

I might end up getting this just to get a decent vinyl copy of Voodoo Lounge... becuase, Voodoo was recorded all analogue. The original vinyl was 44.1/16, so basically no advantage over the CD.
    Then there is the simple fact, this was mastered at Abbey Road.
    Meaning, Stephen "The Masher" Marcussen WAS NOT INVOLVED!!!!!!!!
    This is huge. Having this lunatic out of the chain hopefully means Bridges and A bigger Bang are not brickwalled on the vinyl.

I am going to wait until some reviews and reports on sound quality start going up before pulling the trigger.
    Plus I'm going to wait until it turns up on HD Tracks. Like the mono box set. I am assuming this set is going to be available as a high res. digital download. Hopefully at 192/24, if that happens, I'll most likely pull the trigger on the whole set.
    Assuming of course that the mastering is not like the high res. Blue and Lonesome . Seriously, when you run that through Audacity, set it to show clipping as red - there is more red than blue on the wave form. Maybe that's why they called it Blue and Lonesome - the Blue is all Lonesome in between the red clipping.
    The man responsible for this piece of vandalism - Stephen "Masher" Marcussen. I still do not understand why or how on earth the Rolling Stones corporation, who presumably have some respect for the music of their employers still use this guy.

7. James_S888

One big thing they left out - "Stripped" from 1995.
    That is a real shame. Maybe it's on the list for a reissue.
    Maybe it was left off because of the tracks from the Decca era?? Controlled by ABKCO.....

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And it's clear people seem to forget a lot of people weren't buying vinyl a few years ago so the rereleases allow new folks the same opportunity. Nobody that already has a box set needs to buy it again. Even though we all do!

Mazzy likes this.

9. If they’re gonna cancel they really should right away. Yes it is their mistake and they are allowed to but I feel if they cancel weeks later that kinda wonky

chacha likes this.
  10. But it’s basically live They left out all the live albums.

Shawn and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body Thread Starter

ABKCO does not control recordings made after '71. They own publishing on those songs but do not control any masters on versions the band made later

The more I think about it, the more a live albums box would be a great follow up for next year. I would love the Shine a Light soundtrack on vinyl, was thinking of Mick's intro to Ronnie playing pedal steel on "Far Away Eyes" today: "can you DRIVE that thing??"

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

All digital - at AIR on a Mitsubishi X850 32-track.

bonus and John Bliss like this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

MPO is another plant that I don’t trust. Similar to GZ, but better. MPO can press some nice stuff but horrid LPs too. I hope they step up their game for this box.

This is my experience, others will tell you differently.

John Bliss, Flaming Torch and sennj like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Question

So what are original vinyl specific tape transfers? Is this the latest marketing slogan that the geniuses at Universal thought up to cover up the fact that these are being lovingly pressed from digital sources? Gotta love their transparency.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My recent experience has been most bad pressings from Optimal and Record industry followed by MPO. Usually scratches and non fill. GZ can often look bad but rare to get a faulty sounding disc. I think recent experience is 1 in 3 faulty product that required exchange non of which could be identified as coming from GZ. Usually the best mastered Lps using lacquers do not go through GZ which may give the perception that soundwise they are not the best, having to DMM cut from digital files flown in by the label.

richbdd01 likes this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

You remember how much crap Abbey Road and Miles got for using that f’d up remaster of Exile as their source to press a 1/2 speed record? I believe this is their way of saying we’re not using existing lousy sources like that...I think these will be new transfers supervised or done by Miles Showell. That’s my theory anyway, I could be wrong of course.

Sean, sennj, Tommyboy and 1 other person like this.
  17. James_S888

Yeah, I passed on that one.
    I like the SACD done at FX mastering. That's a nice sounding disc.

To do this as is described on the box, the master tapes will have had to have been transferred to digital somewhere.
    Where was that somewhere? Who was that someone? What was that machine?

18. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I continue to be impressed by the recent half-speed Exile. I have two Artisan-stamped originals, both in EX to NM condition. Some days I prefer the half speed and some days I like the Artisans. I don’t think of one being “better” than the other.

19. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Lucky you! Showing as $413.00 now

20. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

Popmarket had it as their deal of the day yesterday so I bought it. Hopefully the wait won’t be as bad as the Tom Petty boxsets. I think PM is under new ownership now so hopefully it’ll be a better experience this time.

21. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Well $413 is clearly the correct price....$175 was a mistake. I'm really doubting that price will make it ~2 months without being cancelled, but I guess it's possible.

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I don’t think they will cancel the previous low price, particularly if you’re an Amazon Prime member, with them about to raise the rates again.

stoneknuckle and vinylbeat like this.
  23. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

That Collectors Choice deal still works. Comes to $317 shipped using the code ELVIS20.

lpfreak1170 and The Beave like this.
  24. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

[​IMG]

25. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Wow! Thanks for posting. That blows my mind on several levels for some reason.

btltez and The Beave like this.