Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I have no idea what “the compressed sound” in the parent post is supposed to mean or refer to, but in terms of loudness war type mastering, no.

I also disagree with the assessment of the sound of the various albums above, FWIW.

Shawn, rollo5 and Jack like this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks. For some reason, I didn’t think that was your official opinion either.

Shawn, OldSoul, marcb and 3 others like this.
  3. Red

Red Forum Resident

It stays. I was thinking of upgrading shipping to the Global expedited to get tracking, but I dare not touch it.

Philrock90, Turbo2k and Mazzy like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

In what way does it mean Stephen Marcuson was not involved? Exile was recently “mastered” at Abbey Road and his fingerprints are all over that one.

I’m glad to see Showell is going to get a chance to start with a “fresh sheet” with these - although that can mean many things. That plus the caveat at the end isn’t entirely reassuring.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  5. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Has anyone been able to find out just how “limited” this set will be? Are we talking 1000, 5000, 15000 copies?

6. obi

obi Forum Resident

I'm sure there'll be plenty to go around, but obviously they're not going to keep it in print forever, hence the "limited" tag :)

marcb and rollo5 like this.
  7. obi

obi Forum Resident

What I would like to know is whether the included download is of the new masters or the presently (rather compressed) available masters.

OldSoul likes this.
  8. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

I did this, I had exactly the same concern! It worked out OK though, my order has been updated :)

Red and Turbo2k like this.
  9. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

obi, wouldn't it have to be the new masters?

10. Red

Red Forum Resident

Thanks! How much extra is the global expedited, and are custom fees included? I'm afraid I'm new at shopping from Amazon.

11. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Custom fees are never included in shipping cost, because they are determined after the item is shipped.

12. obi

obi Forum Resident

That depends if the new masters are meant to be released digitally or if they are only made to be used for the vinyl.
    While I hope for the former, I could easily see the latter come to pass.
    Industri logic would argue that the more "competitively loud" masters are better suited for CD and streaming/download.

13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I wonder if the LP's in this set will be released separately? If Exile is a new mastering I would be interested how it compares to the recent half-speed which doesn't do it for me. I'm also not fussed about the later albums post Tattoo - it's a shame they didn't split this collection in half, but I can see exactly why they didn't - more folk would, like me, go for the classic albums from the 70's and the 'later' box would not sell as well. This way they can fleece every fan for the entire collection, and at £25 an album, I think I'll pass...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    rollo5 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  14. obi

obi Forum Resident

I think there will be individual releases, but most likely they won't be announced until later - after the boxset has sold enough :)

Szeppelin75 and JP Christian like this.
  15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

If Global shipping is selected, then Custom fees are included in the s/h cost: you pay just the amount Amazon.com charges at the time of your order. If the customs duties are finally less they refund you, if they are more then they do not charge you.

Philrock90, SonicSorcerer and Red like this.
  16. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Thanks for correcting me then, this is something I was unaware of. Back in 2012 I ordered a Beatles stereo vinyl box from amazon.com with UPS expedited shipping and had to pay customs fees myself to get the package cleared. But that was long ago and things could change since then.

Red likes this.
  17. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I believe i picked priority shipping? It says ill get it between the 19th and 21st

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the lengths these folks go to avoid saying "digital-sourced" while still attempting to sucker customers is pretty remarkable

jon9091, RobCos02330, mick_sh and 3 others like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Separates could happen, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. The Stones generally haven’t been doing separates of their boxes.

And even if they plan to, they sure as hell aren’t going to announce it or release the separates anytime soon.

OldSoul likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

For $179 I'm willing to take a gamble too. Even if the records in this box sound great I'm hanging on to all the different original pressings that I have collected over the years.

Szeppelin75 and vinylbeat like this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wish I’d caught that $179 deal - though I already have everything but Voodoo Lounge.

But at $350-ish? I think - like the mono box, which I also already had everything - I’ll wait and hopefully catch a similar deal a few months down the road.

ssmith3046 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This seems to be the trend for these kinds of box sets. I don't see why this one would be any different.

23. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Hope so.

24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I can almost guarantee $179 won’t happen again. I’m kicking myself too. However, I think $300ish is realistic. Myself, even at that price, I’d rather wait to see what others think. Most threads on this kind of release start out extremely positive. You then have to wait a week or two. Most often it turns into a hate fest of “missed opportunity” posts. If it doesn’t, (as with the Beatles and Stones mono boxes), I’ll go $300, but not any more because I have most of these already too.

OldSoul and mick_sh like this.
  25. Low prices will only happen if there is a ton of overstock at Amazon (or other online retailers). Remember when Amazon had those super lighting deals on the massive Pink Floyd Box? That thing went super low and changed pricing by the hour at times. I got it pretty cheap and it even went $100 less than I paid for a short time.

But the PF Box is not half an artists catalogue on vinyl like this Stones set. It was really more for the Pink crazies who go for everything.

sonofjim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.