Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

My $179 box just arrived! #2329 for those curious. Going to take a while to get through all of these, but the packaging is SUPERB.

chacha likes this.
  2. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

It´s reasonable to think that if the masters used for the vinyl are digital files, those digital files are the ones available for download.

lukpac likes this.
  3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Early reports suggest that this isn't the case and that the downloads are simply the '09 remasters.

marcb likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Mixed Emotions is a puzzler for sure. I thought it might be the single mix or something...but no, that doesn’t seem to be it. On the one hand, Miles didn’t do the transfers...he worked with what they gave him to choose from. However, it would have been nice to have someone doing these who was familiar enough to spot a mistake like that. As far as the sound, well, it’s just not as good as the Sterling/Ted Jensen cut IMO. It’s a bit thinner sounding overall.
    This isn’t a record I’ve played a lot, and I really just added it to my collection about a year ago. So, I wasn’t honed in on every detail of its sound. I just played one, then the other, then back, and forth. It really wasn’t that close.

Earlier I played Goats Head Soup. It fared a little better than Exile, but overall I felt that it sounded a little muffled around the 5k range. Maybe this has something to do with the de-essing associated with the 1/2 speed mastering? Regardless, it makes the vocals sound a bit dull. I didn’t hear any sibilance or distortion on my copy of Star Star.

Yesterday, I also listened to IORR (side one only). It also seems a little dulled in that same freq. range to me. Maybe that’s just how Miles likes it, or maybe that’s how the masters that he got sounded, but I’ve had so many different pressings of this album, and it’s never sounded like this before. Whatever was done, it’s actually de-emphasizing the drums (crack of the snare). It certainly sounds like compression to me. It’s not severe, but it’s definitely noticeable if you’ve listened to these albums for 45 years or so., and it’s not really beneficial in any way that I can think of. The longer end on TWFN is interesting I suppose. It just peters out instead of any fade at all. Again, someone more familiar with the catalog would know what it was supposed to be.

MRamble, Shawn and marcb like this.
  5. jon9091

Exile was poor IMO. I have yet to fine a title that exceeded my expectations.

Guy Gadbois and rollo5 like this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think it is quite unlikely, let alone reasonable, to think that they used the same files - unmastered - which Showell chose for the downloads.

obi likes this.
  7. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

Will they release these separately? I have some of the earlier ones.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe. Or maybe not.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My assumption was the downloads were the same mastering as the LPs.

Shawn likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You think it’s likely he made digital transfers while mastering the vinyl at half speed?

Anything’s possible I suppose. But it sure seems like the downloads were an afterthought, not part of the plan.

11. Nick Fuller

It is just a cash cow with The Stones now though

Constantly releasing boxsets

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thank you for that info.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What did you think of Sticky Fingers?My apologies if you already commented.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It would depend on what his workflow was. It seems like there was probably a mastering step before physical cutting, so digital files could have been sourced from that. The lacquers weren't cut directly from the transfers:

"So I'd say probably two of the three days a week that I spent in the building were spent on the Stones. And I did that for eight weeks ... so about 16, 18 very long days, about 14, 15 hours apiece. And some of the work I was also doing at home, because there was some preparation work I needed to do, just to get rid of any extraneous noises, or fix any drop-outs, or do any "de-essing," which I can do on a workstation at home."

15. I though he might have mastered the files digitally, then cut the LPs from those files as well as using those mastered files for the downloads. I have no idea, just a guess on my part.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, some have been pretty good. For what it is the mono set is nice. And the other early years set is very good.

Unless some miraculous creative spark hits these elders...thats pretty much all there is..the golden calf. Payday well earned imo. More power to them. Just wish this fancy box set was something more special soundwise. So far, Im not that impressed with the reviews.

17. Nick Fuller

Reviews mean nothing tho. Up to the listener.

apple-richard and btltez like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Depends on who is doing the review. I can usually tell who Ive found to be consistent on the forums. No, its not a perfect system, but it many times saves me money and repeating titles over and over that arent really an improvement in sound quality characteristics that I value and strive to find.

marcb likes this.
  19. jon9091

I’m going to listen to that one again in the next few days. I’m going to see if I can find that 2015 cut to compare it to as well. I kinda stuck that in a box somewhere after a couple of spins.

It probably sounds like I’m being very harsh on these. I’m sure other people will say the exact opposite and absolutely love this box set. I’m totally ok with that and happy for them. I’m just writing what I’m hearing.

DoF and marcb like this.
  20. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I know that, but if someone just reads the last page and not the previous 60 and only reads "digital files", may think that the same files where used.

21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

It appears we have mixed emotions about this set...

OldSoul, mick_sh and jon9091 like this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m certainly not buying this box set hoping that the Exile will sound better than an original Artisan. I realize that the odds are, since they’ve never managed to top the original in 45+ years (and they’ve certainly tried), it isn’t going to happen now. Anyone expecting otherwise probably should hold off until they have read reviews.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So, why are you buying the boxset? If you are, that is. Pressings of the later stuff appealing? Just curious.

24. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

It's almost like a ripping noise. It looks like a string of pearls on the vinyl. Don't know how else to describe it. I just know what it is.

25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

At this point that might be why I take the plunge for this set. I love everything post Some Girls so I'm looking forward to hearing those in particular. Needless to say, I'm still bummed to hear that IORR, BB and GHS seem to fall short. I'd have no problem with any of it if only the set wasn't $400.