Rolling Stones U.K. mono LPs question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Yesterday I was in the local used record store, Recordland, and found two or three near mint (visually) early Rollling Stones U.K. LPs including The Rolling Stones and Rolling Stones No. 2. But, the covers were a matt finish, not glossy like my copy of the first Stones LP that I bought in the early/mid 1970s.

It's fairly easy to tell a U.K. Beatles pressing by using the EMI matrix numbers and the different Parlophone labels; gold/black, yellow/black, one box EMI, etc.

Is there a way to tell what pressings these Rolling Stone albums are? If I purchase them, I want to make sure that they are not some mid/late 1980s, or 1990s digital masterings or something. Did Decca have a matrix numbering system that is easy to follow, like EMI's?

Here is scan of the label from my glossy, mid 1970s Rolling Stones LP. The labels on the two LPs I was looking at yesterday were similar but more matted and maybe a touch darker.

Thanks.
    _________

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Chris R

The machine stamped matrix numbers on my The Rolling Stones U.K. LP are:
    Side 1 - XARL - 6271 - 6A
    Side 2 - XARL - 6272 - 12A

Just remembered something. The word "Mono" on the two LPs in question might have been in a black font.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The matt cover UK Stones albums were the last pressings before they were digitally remastered. They are all analogue and date from the early to mid-eighties. They sound as good as those from the seventies. They should be priced at about $10 - $15 each at most. Well worth picking up at that price. The seventies laminated cover normally sell for between $15 - $25. Sixites unboxed Decca pressings with flip-back sleeves are much more pricey.

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

If the price is good, I'd pick them up!

5. Chris R

The two LPs are selling for $25. Canadian each. A touch pricey but I only really need No.2. I'll probably grab it today.

Thanks for the info Tom!

6. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

The easiest way to check for original 60s pressings is the Decca logo; the one attached to your original post is the' Boxed' Decca, where the type is in rectangular panel. Original pressings used an 'Unboxed' Decca logo:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/searchers/decca.htm

7. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

In the early eighties I picked up the first two Stones albums reissued in mono on decca. They have a nice chess records sort of sound. I don't have the original UK's to compare them too, but they seem mighty mighty nice.

At the time, decca also reissued some stuff by the Small Faces and Them in mono, but I was too dopey to realize I should have snapped them up.

first album:
    Side 1 - XARL - 6271 - 6A
    Side 2 - XARL - 6272 - 12A

second album:
    Side 1 - XARL - 6619 - 4A
    Side 2 - XARL - 6620 - 4A

These were reissued in the mid-seventies? I picked them up in the early eighties in a store, they were distributed by JEM importers, wish they were still in business!

8. peter

peter Senior Member

Mike:

That price is dead cheap in my opinion. In Vancouver, B.C., where I am from, in about 1975, I purchased new, boxed Decca mono copies of the first 2 albums. Price was $6.98 each, if you can believe that. A few years later, I traded them away, because at the age of 16, I just wasn't into that blues sound. Point of the story is that I could not find replacements for them until the early 90's!!! And, then, I paid $45.00 each!!

One more clue, if the copies you are looking at say "Laminated by Clarifoil, Made by British Celanese" on the lower right back cover, your copies date from 1978 (at the latest). Decca stopped using laminate on the covers in 1979 and the difference, visually and texturally, is easy to spot.

Also, if the inner sleeves on these copies are white, with blue writing on them (and poly-lined, with a center hole for the label to show through) telling you how to take care of the record printed on them, look for a date on the lower portion of the sleeve, usually in the right lower or left lower corner. Check both sides of the inner, because sometimes the date info ("6-78") is on the printed side OR the non-printed side.

If the inners are white and say "PRINTED IN WEST GERMANY" on them, you have 1981 pressings. However, I doubt you have these because these have completely different matrix (handwritten too) numbers on them. Totally unlike the traditional machine-stamped Decca numbers.

Good luck!!! These LP's sound great!!!

9. Iamthewalrus

Iamthewalrus goo goo g'joob

These are not first issues. THe label that is pictured came from a very limited set of MONO repressings from the early 80's. They are very very rare and sound as good as the first pressings. So there you go

10. Chris R

NO, the label that I scanned is from a copy of The Rolling Stones LP that I purchased brand new in around 1976-77 in Winnipeg from either Kelly's Stereo Mart or Opus 69. The cover of my LP is laminated.

Just got back. I decided to purchase The Rolling Stones No. 2 LP. Peter, the cover is definitely a matt finish. No "Laminated by Clarifoil, Made by British Celanese" text on the back cover. It's all blank at the bottom.

I'm listening to the LP right now. It sounds great. From what I've heard so far, I'd grade this LP a Mint-. :thumbsup:

Bob, the LP has the same matrix numbers as yours. I hesitated for about 1/2 hour before I bought "No.2". Almost spent the $25. on a couple of Beatles U.K. singles from a singles box set that the store owner broke up the other day. Glad I stuck with the Stones. :)

Attached Files:

11. Chris R

As you can see from the two scans the 1970s pressing has the nicer, richer label. The early 1980s label is lighter, not as sharp, harder to read.

The Rolling Stones No. 2 LP came with a generic paper inner sleeve, no poly-lined inner sleeve that accompanied all of the 1970s U.K. Decca, Deram, etc. LPs that I own

12. peter

peter Senior Member

Miike: Then, it's an early 80's pressing. Still great!!!!!

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've never really heard a bad Stones UK Decca pressing. It's only when they were reissued by ABKCO that they they turned to junk. It's a shame that when MOFI did the Stones box they didn't follow the UK pressings like on the Beatles. Their choice in mixing US & UK albums really holds that box back, and in my opinion keeps it from commanding the high prices that the Beatles box goes for.

14. Chris R

Peter. The non poly-lined sleeve in this Stones LP says "PRINTED IN WEST GERMANY" on one side. :thumbsup:
    It must be. Again, it sounds wonderful. Love those U.K. Decca pressings. This one is very quiet. :thumbsup:

15. peter

peter Senior Member

Mike:

Glad to help a fellow Canadian! Keep an eye for a Bleed with this type of inner. Sound is incredible. Something happened with these 1981 pressings, because they sound identical to my 60's open Decca label pressings. Closer in fact than my 70's pressings sound! Friends of mine also agree about these 1981 pressings. Caution, Heads is fake stereo.

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Gentlemen...Let me join in this most interesting thread.

I have the exact same two copies ZIPGUN99 has.
    Rolling Stones first album with laminated front cover and the inner poly-lined sleeve says "MADE IN ENGLAND R.S. 1-78" label identical to the first scan posted by Mike.
    Machine stamped matrix numbers:
    Side 1: XARL-6271-6A
    Side 2: XARL-6272-12A

the RS No. 2 has a laminated front cover and the inner poly-lined sleeve says "MADE IN ENGLAND R.S. 6-78":
    Machine stamped matrix numbers:
    Side 1: XARL-6619-4A
    Side 2: XARL-6620-4A

Notice some differences from the No. 2 label scan that Mike posted:
    The dates on my label are at the bottom under "THE ROLLING STONES". Two years given...P 1965, *1964.

Attached Files:

17. peter

peter Senior Member

Ben, you have classic 1978 pressings. These should have the laminated covers and the "LAMINATED...." language on the rear cover. These are excellent pressings, pressed on nice medium-weight vinyl. Check the edges of the vinyl too by running your thumb along the edge--should be smooth. By 1981, the label was paler, the edge was sharp, the poly-lined inner was gone and so was the laminated cover.

The 1964/5 language on yours is the same on all UK copies of these LP's--it merely reflects the year the tracks were produced. I beleive that No. 2 was produced in 1964 and 5, for a 65 release.

Hope this helps. Bloody hobby is maddening is it not?

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sure helps.
    THANKS peter.....maddening but fun.

19. Chris R

Thanks Peter! I'll keep my eyes open for more of these pressings.

Ben, great label. Bet the album sounds fine.

Very nice that we have folks like Peter around (and Record Collector and Goldmine and Tim Neely) to help us sort through all of these different vinyl pressings with artists such as The Rolling Stones and The Beatles.

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Yes both sound nice... MINT.

Peter IS a (MVSHFM) MOST VALUABLE SH FORUM MEMBER ...FOR SURE.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.