Rolling Stones Vinyl Box 1971-2016 Sound Quality Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

The main thread for the new box set is here:

Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Like most people, I'm very interested in the sound quality of the new pressings compared with the originals.

The thread above offers discussion of shipping, pricing, sources, etc.

So let's keep this thread to a discussion of sound quality/comparison ONLY

Start it up!

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Is this standard practice here? I started the thread above and I didn't mean for it to exclude sound quality discussion. We have been doing lots of that already ... if people care to split their attention between two threads that's fine, I'm just confused as to why?

klockwerk, Turntable and MRamble like this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's been happening in the last year or two for big boxes like this. The primary reason is that threads get too convoluted with a mix of posts about shipping/pricing and content/quality. My only qualm is this thread should probably be the shipping/pricing thread, since the other has been going on longer. Typically the shipping/pricing thread is made second.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Okay whatever people prefer, I guess. No idea when my box will arrive or I would be reviewing it for you all today

5. Guy Gadbois

I just dont want to read thru lots of posts about shipping, pricing, etc. I'm sure lots of members just want to focus sound quality and comparisons without having to read about other aspects of the release

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't want to read about the Beatles in the other thread either but what can you do?

7. you can alway just skip those..... folks seem to have a hard time of skipping parts of the discussion they don't care about.. interesting????

John Grimes, superstar19 and MRamble like this.
  8. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

So, anybody listened to digital download ones?

mbrownp1 and meandafoe like this.
  9. Guy Gadbois

I'm still waiting for vinyl reviews. On the "main" thread there's exactly one comparison review that I've seen.

10. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I appreciate this thread. I don’t have time to spend going through pages and pages of people letting us know that their order shipped, didn’t ship or that they’ve received when all I’m looking for is thoughts and impressions and maybe a review or two.

Man at C&A, bonus, Clanceman and 13 others like this.
  11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Going to listen in order, without comparing to other versions (too much work). Just listened to Sticky Fingers. Sounded ok, a bit polite overall. The sonic quality was clear and nice, but it didn't jump out of the speakers ... a bit restrained. The less rocking tunes seemed to fair better, sonically, than those that balls out rock.

Oh, and both sides of Sticky Fingers were cut slightly off center, with side 2 being a bit worse than side 1.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  12. MikeT

Just finished the first 3 sides of Exile...like it a lot. Maybe a bit bright sounding, but very dynamic, clean and clear.

The presentation Rocks nicely, so not polite sounding like Sticky Fingers, but might be a slightly deficient in low end punch.

BigGame, Coricama, polchik and 6 others like this.
  13. MikeT

Goats Head Soup....what can you say. I guess this is a good as it might sound. The mud and sludge of the mix is there. Maybe 2 or 3 cuts sound nice, the rest have the signature sound this album always had; no high end, muddy low end and indistinct midrange.

So we get what is par for the course with this LP.

It is what it is, and this version is ok.

RubenH, polchik, Adam9 and 7 others like this.
  14. MikeT

I know I wasn't going to, but I pulled out the 2015 deluxe edition Sticky Fingers vinyl. The new box version is much better, even if more polite sounding. The clarity of the new box version trumps the somewhat "smeared" sound of the 2015 version (isnt this the same version in the 2010, 1971 - 2005 box?)

The new box version has better clarity, bass extension, top end clarity. The new version wins here.

btltez, Joti Cover, polchik and 6 others like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No, it’s not.

John Grimes and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. MikeT

Ok
    Ok. Then I will have to compare to the 2010 box version in the future.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Just a quickone. I have the 2010 box and the stand alone version of Sticky Fingers with the original Spanish cover which I think was 2015. I have not compared them but is that right that they are different? The version in the new 2018 box is a new different mastering.
    That would be 3 versions in under a decade on vinyl. No wonder it is getting hard to keep up.

18. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Got my box yesterday via Collectors Choice and their sweet 20% off deal. Been listening to the albums for the past day.

Initial thoughts on the sound quality:

1. Everything is very smooth and nice. The pressings are super-quiet.
    2. I have original LPs to compare against. I wouldn't say that the 2018 editions totally blow the originals out of the water, but they are a nice clean dynamic presentation.
    3. The albums all sound better if you turn up the volume. The albums seem to really jump to life when the volume goes up.
    4. "Black And Blue" 2018 is a little tame compared to the original. But that original is one of the best-sounding Stones album sonically. The 2018 is good but doesn't have that full-on kick.
    5. "Steel Wheels" is on the meh side. It doesn't help that the material isn't all that inspiring. Sonically it sounds just so-so.

For reference sake, I am spinning the records on a Rega Planar 6 turntable with the Ania MC cartridge. Using the Rega Aria for a phonostage and a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP integrated amp with Gold Lion KT77 and 12aux7 tubes. My speakers are Vienna Acoustic Mozarts.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    RubenH, Chemguy, polchik and 14 others like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Now that I’m thinking about it more, I’m not 100% the 2010 and 2015 are different. But I still believe they are. I think Sticky was redone when they did the whole deluxe edition in 2015.

Maybe someone with the 2010 box can post the deadwax info?

20. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

How does Voodoo Lounge sound compared to the Virgin cd?

21. Musician95616

To my ears, Voodoo Lounge on vinyl sounds better than the Virgin CD. Everything is just more open and spacious. But that's pretty much what I find with vinyl compared to CD in most cases. Everything just breathes better. I also just like the warmer more organic sound of vinyl compared to CD.

22. MikeT

I have both, 2010 box and 2015, so when I get a chance I will compare it not done by someone else first.

Clanceman likes this.
  23. John Grimes

That's cool. That's not exactly what I meant though. I wasn't questioning the Vinyl format as a medium. I was asking if the sound quality of this version/ mastering, compares favorable to the original. Thanks.

24. Musician95616

Just to clarify from my end (so that I'm not going senile or something), you asked how it sounds compared to the Virgin CD, right? So my simple answer is: better : )

25. John Grimes

Yes. Haha !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.