Rolling Stones Vinyl Box 1971-2016 Sound Quality Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

There's also the South African where all the F-words are drummed out, but the P-word is still there.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I was able to acquire a copy of Sticky Fingers from the box set. The only vinyl copies of SF that I own are the 2015 reissue and a CBS reissue from the 1980s. I also own the 1994 Virgin CD and the SHM SACD.

The new pressing is interesting. I find the presentation more relaxed and smooth sounding than what I’m normally used to with this album. Additionally, the top end is slightly rolled off, compared to my CBS copy, which I thought was a decent sounding pressing.

I used to own an early UK pressing, as well as a US Monarch and a Canadian Kinney. I sold them off years ago. I don’t know what it is, but I can never find a clean US copy of Sticky Fingers.

I suppose I should hold off on making any sort of judgement until I can find a decent early US or UK press.

3. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I suspect Sticky Fingers was a big time party album throughout most of the 70’s.
    I have picked up several original US copies over the years. They all carry a few bruises and scars.
    The new release is a great way to actually listen and experience the album.
    The original is great for cranking Out loud while tapping the keg.

wwright likes this.
  4. Jackflash27

Jackflash27 Forum Resident

I have exactly the same issues on BaB, GHS and SG. Did you exchange your box and if yes, is the new one any better?

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I went through GHS, IORR and B&B tonight. I think I prefer my originals, but these sound pretty good. The issue is pressig quality.

GHS is fine.

IORR is warped, but I can fix that with the Vinyl Flat, and there are no non-fill issues. One weird thing - I noticed that "Fingerprint File" plays slightly slower than the original released version (but faster than the master tape version that is on the SACD). It's about three seconds longer than the CD as far as I can see.

B&B has non-fill on 'Fool to Cry" and "Crazy Mama".

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My B&B had bad non fill so I got a replacement box. Copy in that was fine. Also swapped out some other minor issues. If you can get good pressings the SQ is fine and mostly close to originals if a bit different. The newer albums are less the compression (apart from Blue and Lonesome). Pressing quality on about everything has taken a dive of late. Without direct comparison I didn't notice speed issues. What version got the correct speed? Well Miles Showell had what Stones management obviously regard as their master files and I doubt he got it wrong at his end.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It’s kind of complicated. The version on the original master tape runs 7:07. It was sped up to 6:32 when it was released in 1974, and on every vinyl and CD version since then . . EXCEPT when they did “flat transfers” in Japan for the SACD a few years ago, the slow version ended up on there (and was issued in a few other formats in Japan). When Showell got the master tape (or more likely the DSD file used for the Japan SACD), he noticed the slower “fingerprint File” and he sped it up to try to match the original vinyl release. But it runs slightly slower; not a big deal, but different. He also left in the long ending of “Time Waits for No One” which until now had only been released in Japan - it’s just a few extra taps; he probably didn’t notice.

superstar19 likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's likely the transfers to DSD were done by FX copy room in the UK and sent to Japan for the SACDs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but sure I read that re the SHM Exile.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Absolutely correct. Sloppy writing on my part. Yes the transfer to digital was done “flat” by FX Copyroom.

10. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I'm holding out hope that the LP's included in this box set will be released individually at some point in the not-too-distant future...I really only want/need GHS, IORR, B&B, and Tattoo You so I can't justify the cost for the entire set.

John Grimes and superstar19 like this.
  11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

All great albums and they really should be in print on vinyl as well as cd if only for the great cover artwork!

John Grimes and superstar19 like this.
  12. JCLSDL

JCLSDL Forum Resident

I just listened to the Quality clear vinyl 2014 180 g DSD pressing of THROUGH PAST DARKLY 2. Anemic muddy sound with buried drums and bass , even the London 60s pressing sounds better. Orig. pressings of LET IT BLEED and SOME GIRLS sound excellent with full vital soundstage. Very Suspicious of newer “ heavy weight remasters”.

13. Bdbrown19

Bdbrown19 Active Member

This comment doesn't relate directly to this box set, but I agree with the sentiment. After trying to exchange the box for better copies twice, I finally gave up and returned it. I will still use my SHM copies as my go-to.

14. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Struck out again with the last two replacements copies. Non- fill issues again. MD will get the call today for the full box refund. It’s too bad.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Disagree

16. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Finally received my replacement for "Goats Head Soup". Star Star sounded distorted and slight ripping noise throughout rest of side.

Side one sounds great. Clean, punchy, great all around presence. Angie sounds amazing.
    Side two still has issues. Even worse than 1st copy. Silver Train, Hide Your love, Winter, all have some minor snaps and pops and still has ripping noise.
    Although- Ironically Star Star sounds much better than 1st copy. clean and free of any issue. Go figure.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    OldSoul likes this.
  17. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

I'm just checked my first replacement box from MD. BnB was fine this time, but GHS side 2 is still rife with non-fill distortions. One more shot and then....?

tinnox likes this.
  18. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just curious what number is that box set ?

19. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Too many folks having issues with GHS. I’m convinced they screwed up the pressing on this one worst of all and should at least re-press GHS and offer all of us a replacement.

Turbo2k, Red and OldSoul like this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i have no issues with my pressing of goat's head soup.

21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

me neither. it's perfect.

22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Quite frankly, if you have SHM SACDs for this stuff, I find - my opinion - this box set superflous.
    Plus I suspect all this stuff is going to go onto HDTracks in the next couple of months

23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'll probably end up getting Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, Some Girls and Tattoo You, possibly Voodoo Lounge, too, but only if they are done right (ie: Keep away, Stephen Marcussen!!! Leave 'em flat). Of everything but the latter, the Virgins are pretty freaking great, and an affordable option (can't afford the SHM series).

24. James_S888

Sticky Fingers - the U.K. first or second cut with the T.M.L. in the deadwax
    Exile - any of the original Artisan stamped pressings
    GHS - UK 1st
    Some Girls - UK first. Its' the same cut as the US, but the vinyl is better. Dutch orange is liked better by some
    Tattoo You - RL original. My favourite is a French pressing with the RL.
    Voodoo Lounge - unsalvageble in the original versions. Vinyl and CD suck equally. "Masher" Marcussen responsible for that. One of the first major travesties from the Marcussen works. The Voodoo Brew alternate on CD as good as you'll get.

I'll jump for a high rez. download of Voodoo if it's been done at high rez. from the original tapes. I suspect however that one was mixed at 44.1/16. We'll see........

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  25. James_S888

So sad a reissue of the Stones stuff AAA at 45rpm will almost certainly never see the light of day.
    I'd go for a full set at 100$ plus a platter............... Hear ye, O' hear ye Jagger, "coin it in, mate, coin it in"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.