Rolling Yo La Tengo Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuidedByJonO))), Dec 20, 2017.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

sleepy? first set was quiet but intense Friday in Brooklyn

2. ivor

ivor Senior Member

The first set I saw was in Minneapolis. You Are Here was a great opener, then things slowed way down. I see that their set lists are maintaining a similar pace out of the gate, they clearly feel it's working for them. Also my opinion was clearly the minority as the audience was almost pin-drop quiet.

deege3000, linclink and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I still think that's the only drawback to the loud set-then-quiet set format they've been using for the last five (!) years now. I kind of preferred the unpredictability that came from not being sure where they were going to go next, and I think there was more tension in the lower-key songs when they were surrounded, as likely as not, by raveups. And I think Ira's said he had mixed feelings at the outset about this as well. But I get the impression it works well for them for various behind-the-scenes reasons, maybe just from reducing all the musical chairs stuff that was required of them at the older shows. I have no idea how a guy in his sixties keeps the energy up like Ira does in these rock sets, to say nothing of Georgia pounding it out on the kit the whole time. (There's Youtube of them doing "Blue Line Swinger" in Philadelphia a few nights ago and it's hypnotic to watch her powering through it.)

4. JoeRockhead

The December shows at Bowery Ballroom had the unpredictability you prefer. I think with a new LP like this one, there is no other way to do it with such a completely subdued album.

linclink and dustybooks like this.
  5. JoeRockhead

At the show I saw on Friday night, the quiet first set segues were sublime and well chosen, and the same went for the second set - the transition from Ohm to Pass The Hatchet was amazing. I guess either way works for me is what I am trying to say.

6. dustybooks

Oh I totally agree, it's not a strong conviction or anything, and I love the long generous sets we're getting. I just do see the appeal in the totally anarchic format; as you said, what they're doing now seems probably born of necessity, and it works well.

linclink and ivor like this.
  7. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Yeah, I didn't mean to come off as negative, I would go see them play the exact same show again at the drop of a hat.

linclink and dustybooks like this.
  8. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I had seen some of the set lists from the previous few dates and was hoping they would play Ohm and Pass the Hatchet at the Philly show, but they didn't. I was disappointed initially because those are two of my favorite songs by them (I love the nosier, hypnotic thrashes – would've loved to have seen And Then the Glitter is Gone, too), but when they did Blue Line Swinger I was very happy.

linclink and JoeRockhead like this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I love the way that the new album sounds--clean, warm and full (I haven't seen any DR numbers, but I have to imagine they're healthy.). McNew really earned his producer's credit here. After decades of working together, these guys are masterful at controlling the musical dynamics with increasing subtlety. A song like "She May, She Might" is deceptively simple and stripped down, creating a distinctly hypnotic web of sound. I also enjoy the abstract mid section of the album, including their foray into full on ambient territory, "Shortwave". That track is like the aural equivalent of a warm bath. . . or maybe what I imagine heaven to sound like. . .

I get why they called it "There's A Riot Going On". At a time of mounting unrest and insanity in the world, this music is like the antidote to all that madness. Maybe this was the album that we needed from Yo La Tengo right now.

Pop_Zeus, SteveCooks, Rupe33 and 6 others like this.
  10. dustybooks

The two shows at Cat's Cradle this week were spectacular -- almost overwhelming, really. The sets on this tour have been really special and these were no exception, with several things I never expected to hear them play: "Evanescent Psychic Pez Drop," "And the Glitter Is Gone" (my friend standing next to me involuntarily grabbed my arm, which was probably the last reaction they expected that chestnut to generate), "Walking Away from You." Some that I'd never gotten to hear, like "Damage" and "Moby Octopad." And Ira's still doing the thing of handing his guitar out into the crowd during "Ohm" which is lots of fun. It's really nice to hear "Nuclear War" with a crowd that's super into the call-and-response game. The new songs really reach a different kind of intensity on stage. And they've really mastered the craft of jamming out the space between their songs; they stopped a maximum of once in each set. If you're at all interested, see them on this tour if you can.

For various non-music related but also some music-related reasons, Wednesday was seriously one of the best days of my life, and it ended with me (on my tenth time seeing the band) finally shaking Ira's hand and speaking to him. I've had so many opportunities to do so over the years and have always been too shy -- one time (2007) he and Georgia were sitting together in the general admission area of a venue and talking to whoever came up and I still couldn't steel myself up. But there was some merch I wanted (got a new shirt to replace my old eye chart one, and the Murder in the Second Degree CD) and he was right there and was so very gracious. He asked me about my t-shirt (for the Soapbox, the music venue where I used to DJ in Wilmington and that coincidentally closed the same year as Maxwell's) so I got to explain that briefly, though I forgot the funniest part, that it doubled as a laundromat. And then, true to my SH.tv member status, I used the opportunity to ask a totally nerdy question: about whether the Little Honda EP might ever get a 12" release. He told me the economics of reissuing catalog stuff probably precluded that ever happening, and admitted it wasn't something that had ever been floated. Which makes sense. And he verified, as I suspected, that Upside Down -- which would also be a great vinyl release -- is a lost cause, surely because of the situation with Alias. (The only note of optimism, I guess, is that they did license "Upside Down" and "Satellite" for Prisoners of Love.)

Overall he was as nice as has always been reported, which I sort of knew from a few email exchanges, but it was so great to have that warm if geeky little exchange with an actual hero. I'm sure he'd balk at that characterization but I've been listening to this band for more than half my life now. Maybe someday I'll speak to Georgia, though from available evidence I think she's as pensive and shy as I am (she sounds more amazing, as a singer, than ever IMO). I'd actually intended to bring the Believer DVD of her parents' cartoons for her to maybe sign (not big on autographs but as a fan of both YLT and the Hubleys I thought it would be nifty to strike up that conversation), but I managed to totally forget it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Pop_Zeus, Rupe33, Tristero and 8 others like this.
  11. dustybooks

Here's an off-the-wall question -- does anyone here have the "Sugarcube" CD single? If so, I'd love to hear what the deal is with the version of "The Summer" on it; is it just a live cut or a re-recording? It isn't streaming, on Youtube, or anywhere that I can find. Being in full completist mode I'm tempted to track the disc down but the cheapest I can find it is about $15 and I feel silly paying that for one track (really two, but I've heard "Looney Tunes")...

Rupe33 likes this.
  12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Based on the credits on the Discogs listing, I'd say it's live, and you can buy it for under $4 (plus int'l shipping unfortunately).

Yo La Tengo - Sugarcube

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't want to say the new album is mellow, but I was listening to it today while I was driving and considered switching to some Tangerine Dream so I could perk up a little.

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Despite being on a huge YLT kick lately, the new album feels like I have to be in a specific mood to “get it”.

But that’s a huge change from their albums that change my mood *for* me.

Wonder where the disconnect is?

15. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

I'm listening to 'Summer Sun' right now. What a great album

16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident Thread Starter

European Tour coming up! Which, typically means nothing to me but... BUT. Check out the announcement on Matador's page....

Yo La Tengo – 2018 European Dates – Matablog

Most specifically this part:
    "Yo La Tengo kick off an extensive European tour next April in Dublin. MIGHT THIS TOUR HAVE SOMETHING OR OTHER TO DO WITH NEW RECORDINGS? Maybe. Possibly. Who can really say for sure in confusing times such as these. Tickets go on sale 10am GMT this Friday (and that’s a fact)."

CAPS was in the original announcement, I added the bold. Great news?

Given that they announced this on Twitter with the image below (very familiar to Deadheads from a legendary tour), my interest is for certain piqued!
    [​IMG]

linclink, Crispy Rob, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Could this be a teaser for a forthcoming live album, á la Europe '72? Amazingly for a band that's been around for over 30 years with a fantastic reputation for their mesmerizing live shows, they've never released a live album(!)

GuidedByJonO))) and linclink like this.
  18. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

That news post is from last November FYI

JoeRockhead and linclink like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yo La Tengo really needs to do a live album. I'm surprised they haven't delivered one already because they're an excellent live band, of course, and they have such a rich, diverse discography to draw from. Reading dustybrook's description of the recent concerts got my mouth watering!

20. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Small caveat... sounds of Science is available live on DVD.

21. dustybooks

I've been going through the shows that are archived on NYCTaper lately. Not official live albums, but the band gave permission for them to be posted, so at least there's that!!!

Matador had slated a DVD/CD of the Freewheeling tour at one point but it was unannounced and unreleased sadly.

Maurice and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  22. JoeRockhead

This tour was announced BEFORE the new album was announced. That is all.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry guys! I crossed my wires with that Matador post! I was excited about the Twitter announcement and saw that Matador post linked again on Twitter, didn't notice the dates.

That said, we do need a live album ASAP.

JoeRockhead and Maurice like this.
  24. JoeRockhead

this would be a great time for it - double LP, one representing each half of the show

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  25. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I've just been getting into Yo La Tengo over the last six months or so and absolutely love them. Just finished their biography 'Big Day Coming' which I highly recommend. I know I'm probably behind on this but does anyone know why Summer Sun has never been reissued on vinyl? I'm interested in getting it but the prices for an original are pretty steep