Rolling Yo La Tengo Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuidedByJonO))), Dec 20, 2017.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I have to admit I am baffled by this notion several people have discussed of "why wasn't May I Sing With Me bigger?' At the time it was pretty big, I thought, for where the band was circa 1990/1991. During the era of the first three albums, they were still pretty much on a regional band/opening act level. They toured some but they weren't some big band breaking out. MTV played The Summer and maybe one other video from Fakebook, an album that raised their profile considerably but they still weren't "big." Alias may have had their problems but I was surprised that a San Francisco label had signed them, and there were ads in the many music magazines that existed back then. Maybe I am remembering all this wrong, or my perspective is skewered since I live in New Jersey but as a fan, May I Sing With Me seemed to be pretty successful in terms of increasing their fanbase and getting their name out there. They got more well known at a slow but steady pace with each of the early records, and May I sing With me seemed to continue that upward trend.

Guy E and Neonbeam like this.
  2. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Tour starts tonight in Minneapolis. I'll be very interested to know how the setlist diagrams out between old and new material. (They confirmed on Twitter that there again won't be openers on this goround, which means two sets.) They've played nine songs from the new album live so far, at Hanukkah and the National Sawdust performance that's on Pitchfork. Can't wait to see if they unleash "Shortwave" on us. (But seriously, I'm especially excited to hear how they work up "Above the Sound" and "What Chance Have I Got?")

linclink and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. dustybooks

3-28-18 Minneapolis setlist:

You Are Here
    Forever
    One PM Again
    Ashes
    She May, She Might
    Alyda
    I'll Be Around
    Nowhere Near
    Here You Are
    / (second set)
    Dream Dream Away
    Sudden Organ
    Before We Run
    For You Too
    Shades of Blue
    Mr. Tough
    Double Dare
    Decora
    Sugarcube
    Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind
    / (encore)
    Bad Politics [The Dead C]
    I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry [Hank Williams]
    Our Way to Fall

notes:
    - live debut of "Dream Dream Away"
    - per setlist.fm: first "Alyda" since 2015, first "Bad Politics" since 2016; the others were all played in the last year

Looks like a great time, especially the quiet set.

DPK, Oyster Boy and linclink like this.
  4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

So, having dipped my toe many times and aside from Night falls on Hoboken and the Summer Sun set - Where do I start!?

I like the Hoboken style the most I guess.

Any tips welcomed.

Also - how are the vinyl pressings - worthwhile?

5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

You really can't go wrong with any of their albums such is the quality of their output, but for my money their masterpiece is I Can Hear the Heart Beat as One.

6. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Agree, and it covers a lot of the band's styles. If you like Night Falls in Hoboken, the back half (after Little Honda) should be up your alley. I'm not sure how the current vinyl pressings are...

It's Felix likes this.
  7. dustybooks

3-29-18 Chicago setlist (the setlist for the second night is incomplete as of now, will check back tomorrow)

You Are Here
    She May, She Might
    The Summer
    Ashes
    Let's Do It Wrong
    The Point of It
    Polynesia #1 [Michael Hurley] (live debut)
    Deeper into Movies
    Here You Are
    / (set 2)
    Dream Dream Away
    Let's Save Tony Orlando's House
    Stockholm Syndrome
    For You Too
    Shades of Blue
    Beanbag Chair
    Tom Courtenay
    Ohm
    Little Honda [The Beach Boys]
    / (encore)
    Slow Death [The Flamin' Groovies]
    Autumn Sweater
    Dreaming [Sun Ra]

First time they've played "Polynesia."

JoeRockhead and linclink like this.
  8. dustybooks

The current editions of I Can Hear the Heart... (at least I assume the current issue is the same one I have, bought back in 2009 or 2010) and And Then Nothing... are excellent. I don't have the Painful reissue but I've heard bad things. The rest sound fine to me, though I've heard mixed reviews of Popular Songs and Fade.

It's Felix likes this.
  9. picksflowers

picksflowers Active Member

Long time listener, first time poster here!
    I am thinking about driving down from Ohio to check out the Friday AND Saturday shows in Nashville, Tennessee at the Basement East. Is anyone else going or from the area and willing to host me overnight?! I will be eternally grateful.

Don't mind sleeping in the car either but ya know!! Who knows maybe I'll meet a cool cat at the show! Yo la tengo peeps are the good kind

linclink and JoeRockhead like this.
  10. dustybooks

Let me know if this is annoying, guys. The Toronto set sounds incredible, an even broader set of selections than usual (plus I really like Shadowy Men, who opened).

3-30-18 Chicago, second night
    You Are Here
    Forever
    Black Flowers
    Don't Have to Be So Sad
    Ashes
    She May She Might
    Naples [Antietam]
    Big Day Coming
    Here You Are
    / (set 2)
    Out of the Pool
    From a Motel 6
    Here to Fall
    Shades of Blue
    For You Too
    We're an American Band
    Shaker
    Autumn Sweater
    Today Is the Day
    I Heard You Looking
    / (encore)
    That's What You Always Say [Dream Syndicate]
    Prisoners of Rock & Roll [Neil Young]
    Farmer's Daughter [The Beach Boys]

notes:
    - members of Eleventh Dream Day on "I Heard You Looking" and the encore
    - first "Naples" and "Farmer's Daughter" since 2016

3-31-18 Toronto
    You Are Here
    Forever
    Pablo and Andrea
    Can't Forget
    Ashes
    She May, She Might
    My Heart's Not in It [Darlene McCrea]
    I'll Be Around
    Here You Are
    / (set 2)
    Dream Dream Away
    Little Eyes
    Stockholm Syndrome
    For You Too
    Season of the Shark
    Shades of Blue
    Deeper into Movies
    Nothing to Hide
    Tom Courtenay
    The Story of Yo La Tango
    / (encore)
    Satellite
    Yellow Sarong [The Scene Is Now]
    Little Black Egg [The Nightcrawlers]

notes:
    - Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet sit in on "Little Black Egg"
    - first "Can't Forget" and "Yellow Sarong" since 2016

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

FWIW, And Then Nothing... is my favorite album of theirs and it sounds amazing on vinyl.

It's Felix and dustybooks like this.
  12. JoeRockhead

Not annoying at all - getting me pumped for the Brooklyn show Friday night!

linclink and dustybooks like this.
  13. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

You could just post links to Setlist.fm and then if people want to be surprised at their show they can be instead of listing every song they play here?

14. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Yeah thats what I thought. Or even just say - 'it was a great show, the set list is on setlist.com'

BeardedSteven likes this.
  15. dustybooks

Yeah, I see your points. Jarnow is back to keeping track now anyway; I hadn't been sure if he was going to anymore.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  16. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Had tickets for this past Friday's Chicago show - but needed to leave town, so we missed it. Definitely bummed.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was a little hesitant about approaching the new album here. I know that And Then Nothing... is a big favorite for many fans, but for whatever reason, I never really warmed up to it, so I was leery when I heard that this one was revisiting that kind of sleepy terrain. But for whatever reason, their more dreamy, ambient approach works well for me here--maybe it just happens to fit better with where I'm at with my life right now. There's something comforting and cleansing about it. It's striking that they would choose to name this album after such a famous predecessor, a comparison that most bands would shy away from. Of course, the two albums are completely different and Yo La Tengo's version is undoubtedly a more balanced, healthy response to the world's turmoil. Though apparently inspired by current events on some level, this is no protest album, but rather a gentle turning inward, finding peace "above the sound".

18. JoeRockhead

19. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

anyone have any idea why Summer Sun has never seen a vinyl repress? all of the other matador releases have been in and out of print over the yeras

20. JoeRockhead

Just a heads up to anyone going to the Brooklyn Steel show Friday night - I was only at the venue once before, for BRMC in February, and the security line took a LONG time. We missed most of the openers, Night Beats, who I really wanted to see, because of it. They started right at 8 pm on the nose. Now maybe that was because BRMC planned a really long set with an opening act but just wanted to mention this so no one going ends up missing any YLT!

linclink likes this.
  21. JoeRockhead

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Huh. I had never realized that about the shirts, but...yeah, my mental image of Ira, he's always in a striped t-shirt!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  23. JoeRockhead

24. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Saw their performance at Union Transfer on Saturday night – definitely a low-key set, even featuring Kurt Vile on two songs, though they really ramped up the intensity in the second set. An absolute scorcher of a performance, though. I finally got to see them live, and that's all that mattered to me!

picksflowers and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Glad you caught them! Would have loved to see them with Kurt Vile.

I had the same thought about the first set I saw on this tour... it was good to hear some of the new songs and some surprise old ones, but overall the energy was a little too sleepy IMO. The second set was fast and furious.