RollingStone reviews Neil Young Missing 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

RollingStone reviews NY Missing 4

Well, maybe at least this means that they actually WILL come out. They really don't talk about the fidelity, but they give 4 stars to On The Beach and 3 stars to the other 3. No mention of the "other" two.

They also have PF "Wish You Were Here" as the 5 star Album Hall of Fame. The write up ends with a sad story about Sid hearing the album for the first time in the studio for the first time. I had never heard that one

RS#927

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Jon, did they mention if they were cds or DVD-As?

mud-

3. JonUrban

Clearly they were CDs. No mention of DVD-A at all.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thx! (PS - I fixed the thread header to say "Neil Young")

mud-

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

We expect nothing less from the King of Gortlandia....

Leave it to Rolling Stone to give WYWH five stars....they wouldn't know a great album if it bit 'em on the ass...it's a pretty good record, for what it is, nothing more. 'Classic' is affixed to too many second-rate albums...

Given Young's fixation with sound quality, I would expect these to be HDCD at the least, but you never know.

ED:cool:

6. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

The July issue of Mojo features a full page review of "On the Beach" and also mentions the other three titles. (CDs... not DVD-A)

Five-star review... well, duh!

Cheers,
    Chris

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The CDs will be HDCD encoded (I got to see early print samples of the artwork) and there will be stereo-only DVD-As around late September.

Honest!

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Funny (not really!) but Rolling Stone reviewed the missing Neil Young remasters in like 1995! They even gave them some cheezy award like "best reissues" or something. That's how long these CD's have been in the can and ready to go.

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Searching the online stores tonight, it looks like they're getting a July release in Europe and here in Australia but an August release in the States.

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I think that they didn't even GET the CDs, but just reviewed the albums again. There is NOTHING in the review about anything but the music on the LPs, no sound quality issues, transfer, or anything that would indicate that they actually HEARD them. Or maybe I'm just paranoid!

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't think you're paranoid at all, Larry.....

But I am wary of just about ANY release these days!

12. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone not revealing their sources -- who do they think they are, the New York Times?;)

13. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

m
    If that's the case I shouldn't believe any of this stuff!

:laugh:

mud-:D

14. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Here's a link to a report on the reissues' sound quality from the Release On The Beach website:

http://www.dergunerz.freeserve.co.uk/

It sounds like they suffer from dynamic compression, unfortunately.

15. Matt

Matt New Member

Peter, I wonder if that's something to do with the fact that it's HDCD. I don't think the process is supposed to compress the music, but almost all the HDCD's I've ever heard are loud and sound kind of compressed.

I think when they're decoded by an HDCD decoder, this is "fixed." I'm not too familiar with HDCD or anything, but their site mentions something called "gain scaling," etc. and the impression I get is that when the music is decoded, the volume does get a bit softer when whatever extra information they have (maybe whatever it is that fills out the full dynamic range) gets restored. I could be totally wrong, though; I'm not an engineer or anything.

16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

The import cds come out July 15th and the US cds come out August 19th. If I am not mistaken, are not the imports mini-paper sleeves, but not the US releases? Also "On the Beach" didn't it have a special inner sleeve or album cover(inner sleeve-pattern on the umbrella and chair fabric) and a poster on the lp issue? Will the imports and US cd re-issues have these extras? Also I read that UK lps were mastered using a faulty cutting tape that played at the WRONG speed. I guess this was corrected when there remastered to encoded HDCD. Just out of curiousity which cds will you be purchasing, the imports or US?

17. Stateless

Stateless New Member

This is great because these are like new albums to me, as I have never heard them before. I'm definitely picking up ON THE BEACH & REACTOR. Is AMERICAN STARS & BARS worth getting if you already have "Like A Hurricane?" I've heard mixed things about it.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the 4-way site is reporting that these are already out in europe, but amazon uk disputes that.

if you are a neil young fan ( or a completist) you must have all four.

if you are a casual fan you should get 'on the beach' and 'stars and bars'. 'hawks and doves' is iffy for the casual fan and 're-act-or' is a definite no if you don't absolutely love neil young or are a completist.

now, about those "missing two"........................:)

19. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Really? I heard that Reactor was ragged Crazy Horse music.

20. JonUrban

"Roll on, Southern Pacific"

I'm with wags, great tune, must by CD!!

21. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Has anybody purchased either Neil Young (On The Beach) import cd- one's is the mini-paper sleeve and the other one is the mini-lp vinly replica cd? What are the details on the mini-paper sleeve? Is it just a regular cd and flowered cardboard sleeve? On the Tower site, it has the vinly-replica cd(black and original label) and the flowered cardboard sleeve and the insert. Are these sonically sound as the US release? Which one does everyone favor?:rolleyes:

22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Mastering is the same. I prefer jewel cases over mini albums sleeves and digipacks.

23. Sergio Ruz

Sergio Ruz Forum Resident

Just for fun, I recently got On The Beach in the mini sleeve packaging and compared it to the German jewel case version I bought while in Europe some weeks ago.

The mini sleeve has the inner flowered pattern, and the CD comes in an inner paper sleeve with credits. No poster. Nice, but sadly everything is printed on cheap stock cardboard and paper, nothing compared to the high quality of the Japanese mini replicas.

I don't think this album originally came with a poster, as the booklet from the jewel case version unfolds into the same graphics from the inner sleeve (two pieces of paper on a sand background with credits and some sort of story on the other side). Plus, the flowered pattern can be found below the transparent tray of the CD case.

It's also interesting to note that the CD from the jewel case has the Reprise label printed in solid bright orange, while the mini sleeve CD has the same label, but in a washed out semi transparent yellow coating. Catalog numbers are different also.

IMO, the jewel case version wins in terms of packaging. If you have it, there's no need to get the mini sleeve unless you like to collect those things (I do!).

I haven't compared the other three, as for now I only have access to the mini sleeve versions here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.