Ron Goodwin dies at 77...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

Just saw this on Billboard.com and Times(of London)Online:

FILM COMPOSER RON GOODWIN DIES AT 77

"Ron Goodwin, who composed a string of classic movie scores including "Where Eagles Dare," "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines" and "Alfred Hitchcock's "Frenzy," has died at 77. His wife, Heather Goodwin, said today(1/9). Goodwin, who had suffered from asthma for many years, died suddenly last night at his home near Reading, England, West of London.

(from Billboard.com)

Just a few thoughts. Goodwin was an underrated composer: WHERE EAGLES DARE is an underrated war film, and helped Clint Eastwood get some press that set him up for life after Leone's 'spaghetti westerns.'

But my fave Goodwin piece is MUSIC IN ORBIT[UK title: OUT OF THIS WORLD]his 1958 lounge lizard masterpiece perfect for a bachelor's den or anywhere else you need relaxing music(great cover graphics, BTW).

The stories also went on to note that Goodwin received an Ivor Novello award for Lifetime Achievement in Music in 1994(and presented by George Martin, who had originally signed Goodwin to EMI).

ED:cool:

2. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Sad to hear about this - didn't he do the soundtrack to 633 Squadron, too? I'm sure he did the soundtracks to *loads* of the war/action movies I loved as a kid (and beyond!)... incidentally, a bit off topic I know but a friend at work recently recommended a great (unofficial) website: www.whereeaglesdare.com (apart from info on the movie itself, lost scenes, artwork etc there's a bit about the soundtrack and its LP and CD releases)
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.