Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. JMT

JMT Senior Member

With fill cooperation from Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia. Covering their touring years.

http://www.thebeatlesliveproject.com/

I hope this wasn't already posted, I did do a search and came up with nothing.

3. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

4. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

This Beatles documentary was filmed before a live studio audience..... *in the voice of Ritchie Cunningham*

JonnyKidd, M321115, Sub 37 and 32 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

So which will be out first:

This live documentary film OR Lewisohn's next volume (Vol. 2), which deals exactly with the touring years and is now due out in 2020?

Or they can tie them in together.

Arnie

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Awesome!

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Reminds me....must dig out 'Backbeat' for a re-watch.

Vinyl_Blues, Rhett and apple-richard like this.
  8. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

A Happy Days Night?

thgord, Slokes, Turntable and 18 others like this.
  9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I know there’s no way a standalone documentary like this would ever have oodles of full-song live performance clips. But I fear that even beyond that, this might be a lot of footage of fans screaming and talking about how excited the fans were, then more screaming footage, then someone on screen telling fans “no, you don’t fully understand just how epic it was, how excited the fans were.” The website set up for the documentary seems to be stressing in its search for more footage the “fan experience” aspect.

I certainly hope we get some substantial footage of the band itself, and actual interviews with the band members talking about performing live. I hope this isn’t the live Beatles version of how some of those live McCartney DVDs are edited, with crowd shots occasionally punctuated with actual footage of the band on stage.

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

By "touring years", does it mean that it will feature footage from many of their concerts, from 1962 to 1966?

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

We have a new website & press release: http://thebeatlesliveproject.com

PRESS RELEASE

Los Angeles, July 16, 2014 – Apple Corps Ltd., White Horse Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have announced they will produce a new authorized documentary for Apple, based on the first part of The Beatles’ career -- the touring years. The film will be directed by Academy Award-winning director Ron Howard and will be produced with the full cooperation of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison. White Horse’s Grammy Award-winning Nigel Sinclair, Scott Pascucci and Academy Award winner and multiple nominee Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment will produce with Howard. Imagine’s Michael Rosenberg and White Horse’s Guy East will serve as executive producers.

Howard said, "I am excited and honored to be working with Apple and the White Horse team on this astounding story of these four young men who stormed the world in 1964. Their impact on popular culture and the human experience cannot be exaggerated."

This film will focus on The Beatles’ journey from the early days of the Cavern Club in Liverpool and engagements in Hamburg to their last public concert in Candlestick Park, San Francisco, in 1966.

The Beatles began touring Europe in late 1963, after an extraordinary arrival on the British scene in 1961 and ‘62. However, it was their much-heralded Ed Sullivan appearance on February 9, 1964 that caused The Beatles’ popularity to explode. By June, the band had commenced their first world tour, and continued on a relentless schedule for two subsequent years. By the time the band stopped touring in August of 1966, they had performed 166 concerts in 15 countries and 90 cities around the world. The cultural phenomenon their touring helped create, known as "Beatlemania," was something the world had never seen before and laid the foundation for the globalization of culture.

Beatlemania was not just a phenomenon. It was the catalyst for a cultural shift that would alter the way people around the world viewed and consumed popular culture. This film will seek to explain what it was about that particular moment in time that allowed this cultural pivot point to occur. It will examine the social and political context of the time, and reveal the unique conditions that caused technology and mass communication to collide. The film will also explore the incomparable electricity between performer and audience that turned the music into a movement – a common experience into something sublime.

Founded in London in 1968, Apple Corps Ltd. represents The Beatles. Under the direction of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison, the company administers The Beatles’ business interests, and it also develops new creative projects, making a significant contribution to the staging and safekeeping of The Beatles’ musical and cultural legacies. Jeff Jones and Jonathan Clyde will act as executive producers for Apple Corps.

Over the course of a near 30-year partnership, Howard and Grazer have produced a long list of successful and critically acclaimed films, including Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon, A Beautiful Mind – for which Howard won an Academy Award for Best Director and Grazer and Howard won Best Picture – and, most recently, Rush, and music-driven films like 8 Mile. This will be the second documentary for Howard -- the first being 2013's Made in America.

Sinclair’s long association with documentaries has resulted in a string of award-winning films, including Martin Scorsese’s George Harrison: Living in the Material World, which won two Emmy Awards and was nominated for a BAFTA, and No Direction Home: Bob Dylan, for which Sinclair won a Grammy Award, Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who, The Last Play At Shea, 1, and both the Academy Award-winning Undefeated and the Grammy Award-winning Foo Fighters: Back and Forth.

Pascucci, Managing Director of Concord Music Group and former head of Warner’s Rhino Entertainment, was an executive producer on George Harrison, and has recently been associated with Eric Clapton’sCrossroads Guitar Festival: 2013 and Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin’.

This project was originally brought to Apple Corps by One Voice One World, which has conducted extensive research around the globe, including inviting Beatles fans to send in clips of home movies and photos that they acquired during this extraordinary period. OVOW’s Matthew White, Stuart Samuels, and Bruce Higham will form part of the production team as co-producers.

Acclaimed and award winning editor Paul Crowder will serve as editor. Crowder directed and edited the Grammy-nominated Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who, The Last Play at Shea and the Formula One documentary,1. Crowder’s long-time collaborator, Mark Monroe, will serve as writer. In addition to the aforementioned films, Monroe’s credits include Sound City, Chasing Ice, and the Academy Award-winning, The Cove. Marc Ambrose (Bhutto) will serve as supervising producer.

Nicholas Ferrall will be the executive in charge of production for White Horse Pictures, assisted by executives Jeanne Elfant Festa and Cassidy Hartmann. The Beatles documentary is one of the first projects under Nigel Sinclair’s new White Horse Pictures banner, which he founded in 2014 with long-time business partner Guy East.

Sinclair said, "The way The Beatles burst onto the scene in Britain was an overwhelming social, cultural and musical phenomenon, but was even then eclipsed by that extraordinary explosion on the American scene and then the world. I was lucky enough to see The Beatles perform in Glasgow in 1964, shortly after their Ed Sullivan appearance. It is an honor to work on this project for The Beatles, and to be collaborating again with the extraordinary Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, and my good friend Scott Pascucci."

ABOUT APPLE CORPS LIMITED

Apple Corps Ltd. was founded by The Beatles in 1968 to oversee the band's own creative and business interests. As part of its management of The Beatles’ entire intellectual property canon, the London-based company has administered the legendary band’s recorded catalogue, with more than 800 million physical and digital albums sold to date.

Apple Corps has also piloted innovative Beatles projects which have become benchmarks for pioneering accomplishment, including the record-breaking, 30 million-selling album The Beatles 1, the universally acclaimed The Beatles Anthology series, and the GRAMMY®-winning CD, vinyl and iTunes release of The Beatles’ 13 remastered studio albums.

In Apple Corps’ first major theatrical partnership, The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil® has played to more than six million audience members since its June 2006 opening at the Mirage in Las Vegas. The Beatles’ LOVE also resulted in a double GRAMMY®-winning album and a GRAMMY®-winning feature film, All Together Now, that details the fascinating story behind the unique partnership between The Beatles and Cirque du Soleil that resulted in the creation and launch of LOVE.

And continuing the commitment to preserving the archives and legacy of The Beatles catalogue, The Beatles Help!, Yellow Submarine, and Magical Mystery Tour feature films have been digitally restored with great care for DVD, Blu-ray™ and iTunes release.

Additional information about The Beatles is available at thebeatles.com.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

For fans hoping for an official live Beatles CD, I would think something to coincide with the release of this movie could make a lot of sense.

13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am very pleased to see that this project is still going ahead, I had been worried about the silence. Hopefully they have found some great rare footage.

anthontherun likes this.
  14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

So the guy from 'Happy Days' gets to direct a film about The Beatles???
    No Thank You.
    the beave

mooseman, Claxton and kozy814 like this.
  15. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well they certainly have a talented roster of people on the project. With this film in the works, I wonder if that means no stand-alone "Shea" concert?

17. Arnold Grove

That's my worry too. I'd rather have 2 hours of uncut straight performances. Two hours of songs would be 120 minutes, meaning that they could include about 40-50 uncut songs (at 2-3 minutes per song) plus some context/interview segments. But I doubt that this film is going to be put together like that. We'll probably get cut-up concert performances interspersed with loads of crowd footage (Beatlemania stuff) and lots of interviews. We'll probably get a "Frankensteined" version of "Twist and Shout" compiled from the footage of 10 different concerts; etc.

But maybe with Jeff Jones in charge at Apple, they will surprise me.

Arnie

Paulwalrus, sewerdog and applebonkerz like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Be happy with lots of edited tracks in the main feature but the complete performances as bonus features on the BluRay

Bewaremylove and Rubber Soul like this.
  19. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

5th-beatle, athensdrums and theMess like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

That would be an acceptable method since it would satisfy the average fans and the diehards.

But how many songs would you think that they would include though? They basically have enough footage to compile a full set list from each year between 1963 and 1966. But I doubt that they'd give us every single song that they performed.

Arnie

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I say absolutely excellent, at least someone who is very enthusiastic about it is really doing it!

Now bring on the live CD!

With all the extensive reserarch, this could be the best live product ever of the Beatles!

theMess likes this.
  22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

5th-beatle likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There are reportedly multitracks of Shea as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they existed for other professionally filmed shows like Budokan

theMess likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Are you joking, or are you not aware that "the guy from Happy Days" has had a huge career as a director

25. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this Doc. R. Howard's one of my favorite film makers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.