Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

You had me at four...

Gary likes this.
  2. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Personally I have serious doubts that Whoopi was even at Shea. I too thought her segment seemed scripted and phony.

Darrin L. raises a valid point. Ronnie Spector had toured with the Beatles and knew them personally. She should have made it in the film instead of Whoopi.

It's about artistic merit. It's nothing against Whoopi she just didn't add anything of value.

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Good point. Yes...I would also add Sigourney Weaver. To be honest, I forgot about her, because she left no lasting impression at all.

WilliamWes likes this.
  4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Nothing extraordinary about that. Except EVERYTHING. Good lord.

EddieMann likes this.
  5. colgems1966

Sigourney Weaver was there and she was reasonably eloquent about what it felt like to be a teenage girl at a Beatles concert........but once again that time could have been better used.

If we must have talking heads I'd rather hear from people directly connected to the events shown. That's what I loved about the Compleat Beatles. They was not a minute of wasted footage and the commentators had something of value to say.

6. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Just checked back in with this thread, but there was no need to. These are strange posts indeed. You folks are actually debating which B-List celebrities should be interviewed about The Beatles? Why?

somnar, Yayastone, supermd and 2 others like this.
  7. colgems1966

I would say it's because of the perceived shortcomings of the film. I had not seen it prior to popping for the 2-disc set. I expected something different from what I got.

I really was surprised by the fact it didn't have a lot of footage I didn't already own and the replaced (phony) audio was unforgivable.

This falls well short of Anthology. It's Beatles 101. I wish I had spent the money on vinyl instead.

Why do they release new product like this but deny us a legitimate release of Let It Be, the Compleat Beatles etc...

DrBeatle and letmerollit like this.
  8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I was disappointed that the movie shows no footage from the '67 or '68 tours. I mean 'Mr. Kite', 'Savoy Truffle' and
    'Fool On the Hill' were ELECTRIFYING live! When John fell off the stage in Salzburg, cameras were rolling.
    How could Ron not include this stuff!!!!!!!
    A travesty!!!!
    And no Buddy Hackett interview?

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  9. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

LOL

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I KNOW!!!!! WHERE IS BUDDY HACKETT?
    :)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

No Buddy Hackett, but they did get Buddy Ebsen. :biglaugh:

12. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I do not know what some of you folks expect...it's the BEATLES for crying out loud....ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.....oh wait I feel another great comeback post any minute...wait for it! Bang!

13. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

I really do not get the general level of negativity regarding Whoopi Goldberg's inclusion in the documentary.

While I cannot say I'm a big fan of hers, and she certainly would not have occurred to me as an obvious choice, the story about her mom taking her to Shea as a surprise was very touching. Imagine how cool it would have been to experience that. I can only guess most of us on this forum never got to see the Fabs live, let alone at Shea.

IMHO, there are numerous flaws in the documentary, most of which have been documented in this thread. If Whoopi's inclusion was the "worst" thing about EDAW, it would have been a great documentary.

Grand_Ennui and jeighson1 like this.
  14. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

It is a great documentary.

dirtymac and somnar like this.
  15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Great? Well...maybe. I think Mr. Ollivander summed it up well.

[​IMG]

mrgroove01, supermd and Dee Zee like this.
  16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The film is about the Beatles' tours. I'd say, if you were in the audience at one of their shows, you are directly connected to the events shown.

17. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I agree. Some people are picking it apart over overdubs, color not right, etc. So what!! It's a fine documentary.
    Now some people may not watch it because of the negative comments here. If you are a Beatles fan watch it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

18. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

19. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

"Most popular" strictly because of the Shea bonus...
    "returning" strictly because of the Shea bonus...:sigh:

applebonkerz and Darrin L. like this.
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wow...that is a very good point. Once the DVD/BlueRay was released, with no Shea, it sent them running to theater to at least see it.

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Anyone know what this "special extended edition" is that is being given a long theatre run in February/March? It also includes Shea by the way (but as an extra)

22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

23. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm assuming that the reported defect only affects the single-DVD version then, and not the 2-DVD version?

Yayastone likes this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I have watched both discs of the 2-DVD version, several times, and I have not detected any defects on either disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.