Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

I don't think it was shopped to Prime Time TV as it was always intended as a bigger movie, suitable for a theatrical release. I'm just saying the final product didn't really live up to that expectation.

2. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

You mean it's not already? Wonder how well this actually did in comparison to "The Beatles 1+ Video Collection"? That didn't do as well as expected from what I've heard. Even though it was excellent. It seems the last few Beatles releases have done worse than the previous. Has marketing aimed at the millennials worked?

3. The Ron Howard-directed documentary “The Beatles: Eight Days a Week — The Touring Years” won for music film. Grammy Winner

Johnny Reb and Arnold Grove like this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Maybe it should have won for best sync of film to audio from another venue! :)

PIGGIES, zipp, t-man 54 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And Whoopi Goldberg accepted the award... ;)

Johnny Reb likes this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The original intended release was a single day. I suspect that it was released to theaters so that it would be eligible for an Academy Award. (I feel the same way about the very brief theatrical run of The Concert for George.)

7. Arnold Grove

Of course, I was joking that Whoopi accepted the award.

Does anyone know who indeed accepted the award? Ron Howard?

8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, the Manchester footage has only ever been of the second half of the song, it's not presented in full anywhere. Lewsiohn reports that when The Beatles saw the Manchester film in March 1964, they liked the truncated version the film editors had made, starting with the middle, and decided to play it like that from then on.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    supermd likes this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Very interesting to note that in the extras, Paul is back to saying John wrote 'A Hard Day's Night' by himself again, after making out they'd written it together recently.

spinout66 likes this.
  10. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Probably someone known for throwing sound from another source: Edgar Bergen, Mortimer Snerd and Charlie McCarthy!

[​IMG]

t-man 54 likes this.
  11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Man, I wish Whoopi *had* accepted the award. There's a few folks from this thread who's heads would literally have exploded!! :p

tedhead, andybeau, sewerdog and 2 others like this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

My mistake. My memory is clearly playing tricks on me. It's been a while since I dusted off my VHS copy of The Beatles Firsts, released on the prestigious Goodtimes Home Video label. But looking at British Pathe's YouTube post of The Beatles Come to Town, indeed, the song is cut in half.

In Ron Howard and Giles Martin's defense, the original audio features individual screams, synched with audience footage, that have clearly been overdubbed unless they had the foresight to mic those particular girls. The effect is annoying and unconvincing.

13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I'm watching it for the first time and love it.
    However, I've had the "captioning" on and whoever was in charge of it should be drawn and quartered.
    "Kaminsky Park"?
    Really?

14. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Kaminsky Park was a roller rink gig they played in Russia, 1965.

George, along with guest musician Brian Jones, pulled out all of the stops! :D

Let me hear your balalaika's ringing out....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    forthlin likes this.
  15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If they couldn't even use the correct sound from the correct venue in that film, why do you think they'd use correct spelling?
    The year that they played at the park, it was officially called "White Sox Park" and not Comiskey Park. But for us south siders, it was ALWAYS Comiskey.

[​IMG]

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I finally got around to watching this documentary. Although I enjoyed watching the previously unseen footage, I was not very impressed with the way the film was put together. I found myself getting bored at times, which is completely uncharted territory for me when it comes to Beatles documentaries. All I have to say is Ron Howard really sucks at making rockumentaries.

18. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I just saw it yesterday for the first time. I wouldn't describe it as a film about the concerts, but rather a film about The Beatles' lives while they were touring. In that respect, I'd rate it 6 or 7 out of 10.

19. Arnold Grove

Gold for a DVD release = 100,000 copies sold

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

So how many for platinum?

21. Arnold Grove

For "Music Video Long-Form":

Gold = 100,000 units
    Platinum: 200,000 units

22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

How does free Hulu and Amazon Prime streaming figure in?

23. Arnold Grove

I have no idea. And I don't even know if streaming is included for what they consider a sale of a long-form video.

24. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Wonder if it actually sold more than the "Hollywood Bowl" CD?

25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

That's the real problem.
    "A film about the Beatles' lives while they were touring" had already been done, and done far better, in Anthology discs 2-6." The Beatles Live project was supposed to focus on their touring and live performances, but Howard shifted it to the already well-trodden storyline of covering the Beatlemania years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.