Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, it looks like downloads and streaming are accounted for.
    I'm guessing that the streaming on Hulu played a part. But it would take 1 billion, 500 million streams of the film to equal a 1x platinum certification (if nobody bought the DVD or downloaded it).

From RIAA's page:

General Requirements: The RIAA recognizes the following Album Award tiers:
    Gold – 500,000 Units
    Platinum – 1,000,000 Units
    Multi-Platinum – 2,000,000 Units (increments of 1,000,000 thereafter)
    Diamond – 10,000,000 Units (increments of 1,000,000 thereafter)
    Units are defined as follows:
     Each permanent digital album or physical album sale count as 1 Unit for certification purposes.
     10 permanent track downloads from the album count as 1 Unit for certification purposes.
    1,500 on-demand audio and/or video streams from the album count as 1 Unit for certification purposes

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

That's for music, though (red portion applies to YouTube/Vimeo music videos). Home video is many fewer for certification.

3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I lived on da Nort' side for terty years. I heard plenny a guys call it Kaminsky Pk. :p

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

OK. Yous nord side guys finally gots a ballclub wid a pennant and series title.

Chris Bernhardt and EddieMann like this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Any link to exactly where they have the qualifications for "long form video" which is what they gave the platinum award to 8DAW?

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Wikipedia says RIAA does concert videos and music DVDs, and lists the threshold at 100,000 "shipments" (i.e. not sales). I don't know how this plays into "long form video." I never heard of this type of certification for DVDs in the US, and the lack of Google results does not indicate that it is a common measure.

List of music recording certifications - Wikipedia

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This is the appropriate response when someone rings your doorbell in Moscow.:shh:

8. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

dewey02 likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

'fraid this link appears to have nothing to do with this movie:

"Defined as a title that has not been theatrically released prior to distribution."

Not saying that this is made up marketing BS as it applies to this movie, but implying it pretty heavily absent further evidence. I've heard of plenty of Gold and Platinum records in my life, can't say I've ever heard of a Gold or Platinum DVD movie.

dewey02 likes this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...they have a number of them...

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/...rd=&type=&category=&adv=SEARCH#search_section

11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

There you go.

12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Just finished Disc Two. Very entertaining. I for one am glad that Mr. Howard took the time to present his vision and project. I love watching any US tour footage for "Harry Benson Sightings".
    My two favourite segments:
    1) The McCartney Wind Machine.
    2) Ronnie Spector's recollections, especially about taking them to Shermans BBQ in Harlem.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I suppose this question has been answered, but I'll ask anyway.

The Japanese version of this film is available as a 2-BD set and a 3-BD set, so I wonder: what is there in the third blu-ray disc?

Also: is there anything unique in the Japanese 3-BD set that is not available in the 2-BD version that was released in other countries?

14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Just picked up a pristine 2nd hand bluray copy of the special edition for £8 :wiggle:

dewey02 likes this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Discogs has some details about the 3rd disc:
    The Beatles - Eight Days A Week The Touring Years

All the features on the 3rd disc:

Special Features
    3-1 Words & Music 24:00
    3-2 Early Clues To A New Direction 18:00

The Beatles Live 1963-1965 (12:00)
    3-3.1 She Loves You - ABC Theatre, Manchester 1963 2:23
    3-3.2 Twist And Shout - ABC Theatre, Manchester 1963 1:24
    3-3.3 Can't Buy Me Love - NME Awards, London 1964 2:19
    3-3.4 You Can't Do That - Melbourne 1964 2:43
    3-3.5 Help! - ABC Theatre, Blackpool 1965 3:03

A Deeper Dive (45:00)
    3-4-1 Liverpool
    3-4-2 Three Beatles' Fans
    3-4-3 Shooting A Hard Day's Night
    3-4-4 The Beatles In Australia
    3-4-5 Recollections Of Shea Stadium
    3-4-6 The Beatles In Japan
    3-5 An Alternative Opening For The Film 3:00

It seems that the 3rd disc doesn't contain any exclusive material when compared to other countries versions (if discogs is correct).

5th-beatle likes this.
  16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

From what I remember when this came up earlier, I think you can summarize the 3 disc set as:

1) Japanese version of movie which is International version + additional Japanese footage included as bonus feature in International 2BD set.
    2) International version.
    3) Remaining bonus footage from International version.

Mark

5th-beatle likes this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thanks for your replies. I guess that means the extra disc from Japan doesn't actually contain any exclusive material, as the additional footage from the Japanese tour included in it is also included in the bonus disc available in all other countries.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

You may already be aware of this, but last night I made another little Beatles / Dark Shadows "discovery".

Finally reached Episode 207, and heard an instrumental version of "She's A Woman" playing on the Blue Whale jukebox.

It was pretty cool actually. Very uptempo and reminded me a little of George Martin's AHDN instrumentals. Very jazzy. Played for quite a while too, even cutting across a commercial break. Had to rewind a couple times to pay attention to the dialogue!

Too bad full length versions aren't available.

Mark

Culpa likes this.
  19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The extra disc is worth watching (still a little dry) but I feel maybe this project needed a better editor........

I'd like to hear more about the American fan who met with Epstein before the Ed Sullivan appearance........what specifically was discussed???.......maybe she signed a non-disclosure like all those groupies with little Beatle babies .........(um,allegedly).

20. astronauta

astronauta Forum Resident

Does someone have pictures from the Tour Dates book that comes with the japanese release?

21. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I rewatched this film again on the plane to Chile..

Some thoughts...

I was very surprised when Mancini's Lujon turned up! Love that instrumental...

The Whoopie bit almost made me well up....One of the most fantastic segments on the doc - showed that the Beatles transcended class and race....because they were that good....

Surely there's a part two for the Studio Years...Notice how it ends right up to Pepper.........

I feel like doing a pilgrimage to all the Beatles venues that they played that are still standing...The nearest one to me (Lewisham Odeon) is no more...

Skywheel and chacha like this.
  22. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Christmas present that I finally opened, and watched last night.

The Compleat Beatles is my favorite video documentary on the band. Anthology is essential for hardcore fans. But this film, quibbles about some of the interviews and the poor colorization of some clips aside, tells the story of Beatlemania more effectively than it has ever been told on film before. And it's definitely not just for beginners. I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to watching it again.

Edgard Varese, Dee Zee and b.smith like this.
  23. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I just watched this. "Ron Howard"... hooplah... restored live recordings...

Am I the only person who thought this sucked?

24. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

no
    somewhat of a consensus
    the bonus disc of the "home video" release offers a little more insight and shows, perhaps, with better editing, it could have been good.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was a bit disappointed with this, meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.